-------------------------------Evgeni Plushenko: "I'm bored in the shows"In recent months, Plushenko rarely gives extensive interview. What's a pity. How is convinced correspondent of "SE", 29-year-old skater, who is preparing once again to return to the sports, has something to say. To make it clear: why the champion of Turin and silver medalist in Salt Lake City and Vancouver (as well as three-time world champion, six-time champions of Europe and the other, and other) needs another Olympic epic?MY FUTURE IS SOCHI
- The most important is now, probably, the question: how is your health?
- Excellent. I am fully working. Not so long ago there was a problem with my hand - a fracture, but nothing, everything was restored. All bends, on training beautiful hands doing (smiles). Preparing for the nearest competitions. If I succeed, it will be a Panin Memorial. But the main start - Russian Nationals, which will be held at the end of December in Saransk. What will happen after that, we'll see. If I take away on European and World championships, I will skate further.
- Start in Saransk is not under question?
- No. It was planned already in the summer. Alexei Nikolaevich (Mishin)
and me, originally decided to skip the "Grand Prix", since I had surgery on my knees. I did not want to risk, to sign up and then withdraw. Still, we are preparing for the future, so to speak. And the future - it's the Olympics in Sochi. I want to try to participate on my fourth Olympics, no one before me did not. I want to put my personal record in figure skating, try my force. I am ready for any outcome. But my main task - worthily do my job.
- Not so long ago in your account on Facebook was published a statement, whose essence is the following: Plushenko will perform at the European and World championships, if his health allows him, but nothing more specific can be said now. Whereby it was dictated?
- Thereby, that in the sport I am very long time. In the robot you can twist the screw, pour oil to begin to work like new. But we are not robots, than people, we may experience force majeure the circumstances. We are now, with my great team, even in training try to carefully monitor the process, to somewhere not pull a muscle, do not skate unnecessary free program. All work is under control. There is no such: I want to jump a quad, or a new quad. And, God forbid, something breaks. No - now we have a goal to work calmly.
- This statement should have been a response to numerous questions on subject: "And what will happen next?".
- Yes, everything will be normal. Well, yes, people ask. But all what I said before the Olympics in Vancouver, and directly in 2010, as a result I fulfilled. There was Vancouver? It was. Plushenko's back? Back. Won the European Championship? Won. Although not skated for three years. Then all also shouting: it's impossible. Yes, it was extremely difficult - to return after a three-year hiatus. But I'm back, because I properly done everything with my team. And because I have a character.
Now I'm trying to set a goal and achieve it. This goal is for three years, well, can be considered, already for two and a half, tighten my shape, my body, so that with the dignity (emphasis on that word) to perform at the home Olympics. That's what I want to do.
- Your personal task is clear. But sports management and fans, articulate their expectations a much more ambitious. For them, in the Russian men's figure skating Plushenko remains the Olympic hope the number one, no matter on what. It is a pressure on you?
- Once again I will say: I already skate so long. And I know: if I pay attention to this pressure, any results will not be achieved. So I'm trying not to react.
We have young athletes who are eager to beat me. The thirst is such, like when you wake up with a hangover, and there is no water. This is not only in Russian, the whole world, in fact. But I'm even curious to look at it. All these views askance - I'm interested to watch them. I understand what they want, but I will try that their desire is not fulfilled. It will be hard, after all the guys is strong and, above all, young. And the age in the sport is very important.AT FIRST I YELLED AT MYSELF ON THE ICE
- How serious were the health problems which you have encountered in the fall?
- Serious enough. After the operation I started too early, began to forces training. Because of stupidity. I wanted to quickly get involved, to do something new. I had the surgery, and already two weeks later I started skating. And it was a mistake, because the month I did not need to do anything, at all. We had quietly drawn into, because the time was anyway enough.
While in September was yet a doctor's mistake: he gave me an injection in the knee which ended up not in the joint, than in the fat body next to him. Fluid was resorbed very long, and bothered me at a hundred percent! Generally, interfere with training. And I missed a month. Honestly, I'm in this season already three times returned and three times stopped. But anyway, when there is a goal, you can do anything.
- Then there was talks, that the problem with your leg can put a cross on your return. They were not without foundation?
- Here's the situation: you train, and suddenly starts to pain the leg. Doctors take pictures and say: yes, this is effects of the meniscus. Then starts inflamation of ligaments. And then comes the doctor, whom to me highly recommended as a unique specialist, and makes a mistake, which resulted with my expulsion from the sport for a month. Of course, I tried to do something, injected the leg. (*perhaps his therapy on machines in Moscow - cekoni's comment).
But I not could go on the ice.
A month did not skate during the season - it's a big risk to get out of shape. The body ceases to feel the ice. There were moments when I realized that would be impossible to recover, once again to achieve, what already been done. And it was done at that time much of that. So, of course, my hands dropped. Fortunately, helped me my wife Yana and my team. Cheer me up, found some words. Here, thanks to them and I hold on to this day.
Of course, it is difficult. It's one thing, if I was 18 years old. Then I did not think about anything: with unsheathed sword - and only forward. Now is more complicated. And this is not fear of losing. It is harder to overcome the injuries. There are many titles, secured life, but I should, in fact, start all over again. Here, through it's difficult to pass. But it is interesting to me. Do you understand? I find it very interesting. How is in figure skating? In 18 - 20 y.o., maximum 25, people become champions and think, well, why we must continue to skate? Indeed, why, if there is a shows - such a quiet pensioner's life (smiles). There's no need to jump the triple axels, do not do quads. But it's so boring!
I skated three years in the shows before Vancouver. It's monstrously boring. Everything is so monotonous, moving from town to town, anything new, you do not grow up. I forgot what is the adrenaline. And I wanted it. So I started to play hockey, football, paintball, golf, extreme driving, ride a motorcycle. Still, this is not that! That's why I took a decision to return. Of course, a tremendous impetus give me Yana, who said: you are still young and you can calmly skate. So, skate!
At first, it was insanely hard. When began the morning and evening trainings, all hurts me - in the morning, I not could stand up at all. Yelled at myself on the ice, because I nothing could, specifically, so yelling. People were shocked, they thought, perhaps: he is crazy, or what?
But I will say this: the show - it's great, but for myself I realized that I'm designed for the sport. God gave me talent, and still allows you to move forward. This means that I do not have so far to go from figure skating as an athlete. The show will be after - it's the next step. I have many plans, and they are implemented.
- Alexei Mishin said that the hardest time was this summer when you not immediately found faith in your strength. What was the matter?
- We arrived in the camp in Italy, and there began insanely hard days for me. Very powerful general physical preparation. Plus a lot of work indoors, choreography and work directly with Mishin. Body simply can not withstand. I could not recover and did not skate for three days. Then we went to Venice and other cities, just walking, taking pictures.
And then, when we returned to St. Petersburg, it was hard. Long time I entered into the form. Like, it seems, one training session conducted properly, the next day when I come - nothing does not work. I not could do trivial triple jump. But has a gained a scheme. And this scheme finally paid off. Although the process of obtaining forms continues and today.
- Apart from you, Mishin in the group have and Artur Gachinsky and Elizaveta Tuktamisheva's. It turns out, that coach can not give you all the attention, all the time...
- Well, why I should be capricious? At the beginning, even when in the group came Elena Sokolova, I said: "Alexei Nikolaevich, to avoid misunderstanding, let's do this: she will skate on the one ice, I will in the next." Lena and me had separated trainings. Because it is impossible with two eyes follow a few athletes, who jump at different ends of the rink.
Here, and now we have divided the ice. In the group is everything the great: a good team, great guys. I want to congratulate Liza on a great start. She has a good future. I do not exclude, that she will become Olympic champion, if she continue with work on that way. She is "plow-girl". And listen her coaches. And Artur has bright future. In the preseason, he made three different quads, I personally saw it. I wish them luck.DOLCE & GABBANA GOES TO SOCHI
- How difficult was from an arranged life, popularity and social events, return to a rigorous training regime, twice a day?
- It can be combined. Here, I trained twice, and went to a concert of Dima Bilan. Today slept - and has already managed to train a half hour. All can be combined, if there is no alcohol, but there is a regime, diet, the right approach. Naturally, I'm trying now to give up of some the activities. Because it's hard. But very selectively combine some things are still possible. (Pause.) Well, what is party? You can go to the party later. Everything will be all the same, even better.
Here I recently went to birthday of boutique a Swiss firm, with which we're releasing in January a joint line of watches. For me, this is a great pride. Design - blue with gold - was my idea. Blue - it's ice, gold - medals. Such sporty casual. I had a dream - to introduce a style of luxury in the sport. And it turns out. I like expensive things, beautiful costumes. If you take my own costumes for performances - it's also luxury, them always worked some famous designer. Now, by the way, we are negotiating with Dolce & Gabbana for costumes in the future. Perhaps, for Olympics.
- And why you were not satisfied with other proposals for (the existing)
- I was not satisfied with design. And that I no took part in the making. And this is what I wanted. I'm not a great expert for watches, but very like them. Just to give a name and say: it's my watch - this is stupid.
- Speaking about the costumes ... Who makes them for you this season?
- So far, there is none. But there is a design, and now we choose the options. When I will come back to St. Petersburg, I will do it. Maybe I will take the new young guys who are eager to work, full of ideas. It will be interesting.
- This will be something in your the usual style? Or you go to the experiment?
- Well, the bike does not want to invent. It will be stage costumes for figure skating. Pretty interesting. Not casual. Will be nice (smiles).
- That is, simple pants with a shirt, quite popular now in the skaters will not be?
- All the details about new programs you have intentionally kept secret. Informations which recently appeared in the press, quoting Mishin, is true?
- I do not know what they write.
- Short Program - a compilation of Vanessa Mae, Free - "Tango" by Edvin Marton.
- (Pause.) I do not know, from where they got it Vanessa Mae. But Free indeed will be "Tango" from "Moulin Rouge", but rewritten by Edvin. I want passion, more emotion. Love, some of the image. Therefore, this is Free program. While Short program is not Vanessa Mae. But a funny and interesting music, very beautiful, deep and emotional. It consists of two parts: the first - very melodic and soulful, while the latter - very fast. Everyone knows it, it's classic. But arranged.
- Name you wil not tell?
- For a few weeks is Saransk (smiles). Soon you will all see.
- This fall you have changed a lot programs?
- Of course, we have made adjustments. And we do it that so far every day. Something add, somewhere remove.
- You do many suggestions?
- Of course. From the beginning of my career, they could not say just: Do this gesture - and all. I need to first feel the gesture.
- Your programs have seen someone from the experts?
- When I skated in Novogorsk, of course they seen the guys. In St. Petersburg I would like to invite our judges, that they looked and disassembled the spins and the steps. But it will be the final part of the story. And, of course, we were shown to specialists, they are dismantled. Like anything.
- On Panin Memorial will be quadruple?
- We shall see. I do not want to anticipate events.
- It is correctly to say, that for Plushenko the competition without a quad simply can not be?
- No. Maybe without him, I do not exclude. But this applies only for Russian starts. At the international - only with the quad. And not only one.FIGURE SKATING BECOME MORE COMPLICATED
- Rrecently your old time comrade and a rival Brian Joubert mentioned it was your comeback in Vancouver that inspired him to remain in the sport and go on fighting. Is it a nice feeling?
- (Pause.) I'm glad to inspire. Guess, I deserve that. I respect Brian as an athlete and a man. He's a good person. There is a reason why I invite certain people to my shows, even those who I compete against. Some rivals are rotten, and I can't stand communicating with them, but there are those who beat you, but later approach and say : well done, it just wasn't your day. This is why I skate in the shows with Stephane Lambiel, Joubert, Florant Amodio, the Czech guys Michal Brezina and Tomas Verner.
I was lucky to have greate mentors. For example Elvis Stojko. When I just started competing internationally he was at the final stages of his competitive career, was a 4 times world champion. I was just a 15 y.o. kid who came to his first Grand Prix event, was just starting to land my quads. Back then, if you landed one quad, taking the rest of the program was clean, it mean winning the competition. Stojko approached me, shook my hand and wished me luck.
It was unreal! The 4 times world champion comes to shake my hand, to a young pup, knowing that he can beat him! It was a huge boost for me. I was looking up to those great athletes. But time goes on and now others are looking up to me. It's great! Awesome! This is why I am trying to do something that I will be remembered in 10-20 years from now. So people would say: "Plushenko - that was a worthy skater". Now some already call me a legend. I want them to go on calling me that. (Smiles)
- And you can go to the young athlete and do same thing as Stojko?
- Of course. Once again, I'm not afraid to lose. Figure skating goes forward, I need to be with him. Anything can happen: not enough sleep, injury, something else. And I'm ready for it.
- What feeling left to you from the last stages of the "Grand Prix"?
- I'll say about Patrick Chan. He's a great athlete, very much progressed. But if he does four or five errors, and receives 9 points out of 10, it is a bit wrong. And so, he great skate, great spins, has quadruple jump. Also appeared new Chinese Nan Song with two quad. Athlete is excellent, even unique. But some innovations, surprises to me was not. All can be defeated. The main thing - to do my own job.
- Your training plan for Sochi implies, in principle, performing at the stages of "Grand Prix"?
- In the future will be "Grand Prix", yes. Perhaps one stage, then Russian Nationals, European championship, and so on. Maybe even some small competitions. And then, there is now a new story - Team World Championships which will be held in April.
- You want there to appear?
- Yes! It's very interesting! Well, what is "Grand Prix"? This is an intermediate stage, some kind of "test skating" (обкатка?)
. The main thing - it's the titular competitions: European and World championships. How much do I already can win "Grand Prix"? If there are necessary, I will performing there. But generally, I repeat, it's almost as "test skating".
- What do you think regarding the overall aspiration to do quadruples, with what all can not cope?
- It's good. Figure skating has to move forward. Race to 100m every year moving forward, hockey and football are becoming more dynamic, more intelligent. While figure skating in 2010 took a step back. So it's good, that skaters themself, as is say, responded to my call. And I fully support that many in their programs are trying quads.
- If until Sochi all they have learned the quads, by your opinion, what will be needed for success there?
- I think in Sochi will be a need to perform several quads. Although to say exactly how things will go, it's hard. Suddenly, again, they can introduce some new system, and all will again do "3+3". But, hopefully, they will do not impose. Now figure skating in general has become more complicated. And that's progress!Ekaterina KULINICHEVA