Press on English about Evgeni after LP

Зимние Олимпийские игры 2010 в Ванкувере || Winter Olympic games 2010 in Vancouver

Re: Press on English about Evgeni after LP

Postby cekoni » 21 Mar 2010, 12:43

http://www.examiner.com/x-20118-Figure- ... -Vancouver
March 2, 10:32 Figure Skating Examiner, Jackie Wong

Top ten figure skating moments in Vancouver

4. Lysacek beats Plushenko in showdown.
It was a close race, and it threatened to become another judging scandal, but the men’s competition ended up being the triumph of execution (and strategy) over difficulty. Evan Lysacek just barely took the gold from Evgeni Plushenko.

You can bet that ISU will be reconvening about the judging system after this season and we will see some changes in the fall.

:co_ol: :plush47: :plush45:

------------------------

... it is not grown in the scandal, just because of detente of Russians :plush34:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 24 Mar 2010, 08:47

http://www.universalsports.com/news/art ... at+learned
Feb 28, 11:39a ET | Updated: Feb 28, 1:00p ET

Vancouver: What we learned

The 2010 Vancouver Games have drawn to a close, and the spotlight will showly shift toward Sochi, Russia, the site of the 2014 Games. Some of the skaters will compete in next month's world championships in Torino, Italy, but for now, here are five things we learned from these Olympic Games....

2. You can come back from retirement
Both Yevgeny Plushenko
of Russia and China's Shen Xueand Zhao Hongbo stepped back onto competitive ice this season after several years away. For both, you'd never know. Plushenko took silver in an close duel with American Evan Lysacek, landing quadruple jumps like they were easy, while Shen and Zhao won the gold medal that had eluded them for so long. And not to mention Switzerland's Stephane Lambiel, who placed fourth....

(The next part of the text sounds, by me.... I dont know - sarcastically? :ne_vi_del: ... but even and if they thought that most seriously, I am fell off the chair when I read ;;-))))

5. The judging system can work
For all its controversy and criticism it's had in the past, this time it worked.
All of the gold medalists showed the blend of artistry and athleticism that makes figure skating so popular to begin with.... American Evan Lysacek won golds with inspired, athletic performances that were nearly flawless.

Bonus: You don't need a quadruple toe loop, a throw quadruple Salchow or a triple Axel to win an Olympic title.

-----------------------------------------------

...... or, in future, you not need even and leave on the ice :plush26: .... :ts_ss: if you're American :-)
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 26 Mar 2010, 11:32

www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=368302

Dick Button and Scott Hamilton sing Lysacek's praises

Olympic gold medalist Scott Hamilton advised Evan Lysacek to put everything he could into training for the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver so that he would have no regrets.

Evan Lysacek not only earned a gold medal at the 2010 Olympics, he solidified the respect of some of the world's legendary skaters.

Dick Button and Scott Hamilton have nothing but praise for the young figure skating star, though they both had their eye on Lysacek long before his Olympic feat.

The two men who served as analysts for NBC during the Vancouver games
are Olympic gold medalists themselves and have been watching Lysacek come up through the ranks.

"I respect Evan and I like him as a friend and I'm so happy for him," Hamilton said. "He's the newest member of the club."

Lysacek's work ethic sets him apart, Hamilton says, and while other skaters got burned out over the years, Evan just got stronger.

Button has seen quite a few skating performances in his day and said many don't stick with the audience. Evan's do.

He is "elegant, long-limbed, smooth, has wonderful, interesting choreographic moves and is a delightful, hardworking, hard-edged competitor," Button effused, adding adjectives like sincere and sweet.

Exchanging e-mails with Lysacek last summer, Hamilton said he could tell that the enormity of the upcoming Games was starting to concern the 24-year-old competitor.

"I told him the best way to approach that is to eliminate all the would haves, could haves, should haves," Hamilton said. "Every day at training, put everything you possibly can into every day and when you step on the ice at the Olympics know you've done everything you can do to prepare and let it go."

To those watching Lysacek practice during the Olympics it was obvious he had heeded his mentor's advice. Hamilton said he and others watched in admiration as Lysacek skated his program during practices and did so as if judges were watching.

"Evan gave us a pure understanding of what he was going to deliver in competition every single time he practiced," Hamilton said. "That was extraordinary."

The practice paid off and Lysacek bested defending champ Evgeni Plushenko of Russia by 1.31 points to secure the top spot on the podium.

Plushenko slammed the judges' decision in the days after the competition and criticized Lysacek for not doing a quadruple jump during his skate.

Hamilton and Button both say the right man took home the gold. Plushenko, they said, used a program from four years ago and did not take into account more recent changes in rules and scoring.

"Even though (Lysacek) didn't have the big huge quad like Evgeni did, he had the rest of it," Hamilton said. "It's about the whole performance not about the first minute and a half. - Evan truly understood to win he had to draw on every single second of the program."

Button said Plushenko was "tentatively lazy and arrogant about his performance" while Lysacek "did all the technical things and he did them well."

"The end result is (Lysacek) worked the rules beautifully, understood them, made them work for him," Button said. "He didn't hold back and that's what Plushenko did."

Asked what he thinks is next for Lysacek, Button replied, "Whatever he wants."

"I truly am both respectful of him and happy for him and pleased as punch he won because boy did he work for it," Button said. "He proved himself to be a magnificent skater and magnificent athlete and on top of that a magnificent competitor. I hope he has great success in whatever is the next stage of his career."

Hamilton said he looks at the Olympics like a four-year college experience and Lysacek just graduated as valedictorian. He would like to see the new champion build his own identity and not be afraid to go in a new direction.

"I hope he can take the experience and success and parlay it into something that makes a huge impact beyond what he's done," Hamilton said. "I'm so proud of him."

---------------------------------------

:plush34:

.. btw... Scott Hamilton is producer of show "Stars on Ice", in which currently performed Lysacek... Dick Button's record would be broken, that Plushy won second gold medal in a row at the Olympics :kli_ny: ... really - very "objective, professional and impartial" commentators :ze_le_ny: :plush43:

Button said Plushenko was "tentatively lazy...

... because of "laziness", he jumped only two quads ... :ps_ih:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby Doll » 27 Mar 2010, 08:06

".. because of "laziness", he jumped only two quads"

and

"Stars On Ice"

LOL!!! ;;-))) :)-(:

...and to think, I used to be a fan of Hamilton... :plush44:

Lysacek is on "Dancing With The Stars" and he :kli_ny:
Doll

Postby cekoni » 29 Mar 2010, 01:10

Doll wrote:Lysacek is on "Dancing With The Stars" and he :kli_ny:

OK... sorry, my mistake :smu:sche_nie: :hi_hi_hi:

This are dancing couples on the floor? :du_ma_et: I can only imagine how is he yet "graceful" there ;;-)))
cekoni
Administrator

Postby AnyaNikolaievna » 29 Apr 2010, 06:41

Yes, it is dancing on the floor. Kristi Yamaguchi previously won a few years ago. He got his lowest score this week (21 out of 30, all 7s) for his "samba" which I've heard was not really a "samba." A samba is a carnival dance and a party dance. Lysacek's choreographer and dance partner turned it to a ballet of sorts! I haven't seen it but it just SOUNDS ridiculous. But what I think is funny about the show is the dancers don't get to pick their music, the show producers do.

The show, by the way, airs on ABC...

Wasn't there some rumor of agreement between ISU and ABC, if an American won the Olympics? Just struck me as confirmation that right after he got the gold he agreed to take part in one of ABC's highest-rated shows.

I'm going to Stars On Ice tomorrow. I hope that since he is busy with Dancing he won't be able to come.
"Show what you are capable of!" -- Evgeni Plushenko

"Was there ever a man who loved, who loved not at first sight?" -- Christopher Marlowe
AnyaNikolaievna

Postby cekoni » 29 Apr 2010, 09:39

AnyaNikolaievna wrote:...
Wasn't there some rumor of agreement between ISU and ABC, if an American won the Olympics? Just struck me as confirmation that right after he got the gold he agreed to take part in one of ABC's highest-rated shows.

Yes, we'll see whether ABC really take transfer of skating competitions next year ... :ps_ih:

AnyaNikolaievna wrote:I'm going to Stars On Ice tomorrow. I hope that since he is busy with Dancing he won't be able to come.

... as neither Johnny Weir... :plush34:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby AnyaNikolaievna » 29 Apr 2010, 16:31

Isn't Johnny doing Zhenya's tour? LOL at any rate SOI offered him a lot of money but he said no, because he wanted to do Zhenya's tour. *grin* Now that's what I call a true friend to Zhenya hehe.

At any rate, Todd Eldredge and Michael Weiss are the only male singles skaters they have besides Evan. They have plenty of ladies though: Emily Hughes, Wagner, Nagasu, Ando, Rochette, Cohen, Yuka Sato...

Overall this is a really disappointing cast.

BRING YOUR TOUR TO PITTSBURGH NEXT YEAR ZHENYA! SHOW THESE FOLKS WHAT REAL TALENT IS!

*sigh* from my lips to God's ears hahaha.

"Was there ever a man who loved, who loved not at first sight?" -- Christopher Marlowe
AnyaNikolaievna

Postby AnyaNikolaievna » 29 Apr 2010, 16:33

Oh and Jeremy Abbott. But I think that's it for the men. Yeah, it sucks.

AnyaNikolaievna

Postby aysu » 29 Apr 2010, 21:01

I'm going to Stars On Ice tomorrow. I hope that since he is busy with Dancing he won't be able to come.

:sh_ut:

Media puppet.. (actually i have better words for him which he deserves but... :ups: )
aysu

PreviousNext

Return to Ванкувер 2010 || Vancouver 2010