НОВОСТИ ФК|| NEWS

Другие фигуристы, различные фигурнокатательные мероприятия || Other skaters and events without Evgeni

Re: НОВОСТИ || NEWS

Postby cekoni » 08 Nov 2009, 06:10

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 108f1.html
By JACK GALLAGHER

Resurgent Ando captures second Grand Prix title

NAGANO — Miki Ando continued her resurgence by capturing her second Grand Prix title of the season on Saturday night at Big Hat.

Ando, who went three years without a GP victory, has now won two in the past 15 days. Her win here assured her of a spot in next month's Grand Prix Final in Tokyo and appears certain to make her a lock for a spot on Japan's team for next year's Vancouver Olympics.

Looking stunning in a blue and gold sequined outfit and skating to "Cleopatra," the 2007 world champion stumbled on the landing of her opening triple lutz, and fell near the end of her free skate, but displayed technical skill and grace in securing the crown with a score of 162.55.

Russia's Alena Leonova, who was fifth in the short, vaulted into second place with a strong long program, to finish with 160.85.

American Ashley Wagner, the leader after the short program, was third on 155.99.

Ando, who was second in the short program, received high marks for her spiral sequence and spins.

"After yesterday I wanted to relax a little more and enjoy today's program," said Ando. "I wanted to tell the story of Cleopatra through my free skate and was pleased I was able to do that."

Despite the victory, Ando is still focusing on how she can get better.

"It's the Olympic season and I want to improve my jumps. I'm doing quads in practice, but they are not ready for competition."

With Nobunari Oda having already grabbed two GP titles this season, Ando's success marked the fourth straight weekend that one of Nikolai Morozov's skaters has won a GP singles event.

Yukari Nakano, third in the short, was downgraded on two of her triple jumps and finished fourth.

France's Brian Joubert claimed the men's title, beating American Johnny Weir by a 15-point margin (232.70 to 217.70).

Performing to "Ancient Land" by Ronan Hardiman, Joubert opened with a quadruple toe loop, and despite tripling a planned quad salchow and quad toe loop, and touching the ice on the landing of a triple axel, skated consistently enough the remainder of his program to post an easy victory.

Joubert, who was a disappointing fourth on home ice at the Trophee Bompard in Paris last month, said he was out to prove a point.

"I wanted to show that I am not just a jumper but a figure skater," he said. "My goal in the free skate was to do three quads, but I also wanted to show that I can do choreography and good steps. I wanted to show a different Brian Joubert.

"Two weeks ago I was not able to start the free program without a mistake, so that is why I didn't have a lot of confidence. I love to do quads, but I really want to improve the overall skating. I still want to do three quads in the program, and if I can do that with good skating, it would be perfect."

Weir, who was third in the short program, moved up to second after landing five triple jumps early in his routine, to narrowly edge out Michal Brezina of the Czech Republic, who came in third.

Brezina, the world junior silver medalist last season, was nearly flawless skating to "An American in Paris" and made the podium in his senior GP debut with a tally of 217.48.

Weir's compatriot Jeremy Abbott, second heading into the free skate, had a calamitous outing and tumbled to fifth. Abbott, the Grand Prix Final champion last season, fell on his opening quad toe loop, again on his next jump — a triple flip — and a third time on a triple axel.

It was a poor showing for Abbott, who appeared in contention for victory here.

Daisuke Takahashi, fourth in the short program, stumbled on his opening quad toe loop, then fell twice and was unable to improve his overall position.

Takahashi, skating in his first major event in 18 months following major knee surgery, became fatigued as his program wore on.

"I need more practice to improve my stamina," he noted. "I was a bit tired and nervous. My mental toughness was low."

Takahiko Kozuka, who was second behind Evgeni Plushenko at the Rostelcom Cup in Moscow two weeks ago, fell on his quad toe loop and a triple axel and saw his chances of making the GP Final vanish after coming in seventh.

Kozuka, who took second place at last season's GP Final, said his result was a mystery to him.

"My condition was good but my performance was not. I don't know why I made so many mistakes."

China's Qing Pang and Jian Tong took the free skate to triumph in the pairs. The duo prevailed with a strong margin of more than six points over Russia's Yuko Kawaguchi and Alexander Smirnov.

Kawaguchi fell on their opening throw quad salchow and hit her face on the ice. :sh_ok: :-( The referee allowed a three-minute injury timeout and they were able to complete their program.

Rena Inoue and John Baldwin of the U.S. finished third.

Meryl Davis and Charlie White of the U.S. retained their lead in ice dance after the original dance, while Britain's Sinead and John Kerr held on to second place.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 09 Nov 2009, 07:03

http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2009-11-09/15_12/
09.11.2009, Елена ВАЙЦЕХОВСКАЯ

В субботу в Нагано завершился четвертый этап "Гран-при" .

ЛЕОНОВА СТАЛА ГЛАВНОЙ СЕНСАЦИЕЙ

Этап не принес российским фигуристам ни одной победы, но обернулся сенсацией: в одиночном катании Алена Леонова заняла второе место и теперь имеет очень хорошие шансы на то, чтобы впервые в жизни отобраться в финал Чемпионской серии.

В короткой программе спортсменка имела лишь пятый результат - не смогла справиться с тройным лутцем. Зато произвольный прокат Леоновой оказался абсолютно лучшим: у экс-чемпионки мира Мики Андо российская фигуристка выиграла больше двух баллов, при том что на второй оценке за компоненты программы японка набрала на 6,96 больше.

Разочарованием завершился турнир для бронзовых призеров чемпионата мира-2009 Юко Кавагути и Александра Смирнова. Они уверенно выиграли короткую программу, но в самом начале произвольной композиции партнерша упала при исполнении выброса в четыре оборота. Удар оказался настолько сильным, что фигуристы были вынуждены остановиться и продолжили выступление после паузы. За падение и остановку пара была наказана штрафом в три балла. Еще три балла фигуристы потеряли в оценке за неудавшийся элемент: при базовой стоимости подкрутки 8,0 Кавагути и Смирнов получили за нее лишь пять баллов.

Уже определились лидеры общего зачета. По две победы и, соответственно, максимальное количество очков (30) имеют в одиночном катании Нобунари Ода и Мики Андо (Япония), танцоры Дэвис/Уайт и китайская пара Цинь Пан/Цзянь Тон. Предпоследний турнир серии - Skate America - пройдет в конце недели в Лейк-Плэсиде.

4-й этап "Гран-при". Нагано

Мужчины. 1. Жубер (Франция) - 232,70. 2. Вейр (США) - 217,70. 3. Брезина (Чехия) - 217,48. 4. Такахаши (Япония) - 214,29. 5. Эббот (США) - 208,45. 6. Риппон (США) - 197,61... 8. БОРОДУЛИН - 181,62.

Женщины. 1. Андо (Япония) - 162,55. 2. ЛЕОНОВА - 160,85. 3. Вагнер (США) - 155,99. 4. Накано (Япония) - 152,35. 5. Леписто (Финляндия) - 152,19. 6. Фанеф (Канада) - 142,03... 9. ГОЗЕВА - 123,97.

Пары. 1. Цинь Пан/Цзянь Тон (Китай) - 199,65. 2. КАВАГУТИ/СМИРНОВ - 193.05. 3. Ину/Болдуин (США) - 158,78. 4. Дэнни/Барретт (США) - 151,43. 5. Бродер/Мататалл (Канада) - 150,71. 6. КРАСИЛЬНИКОВА/БЕЗМАТЕРНЫХ - 137,49.

Танцы. 1. Дэвис/Уайт (США) - 201,97. 2. Керр/Керр (Великобритания) - 177,73. 3. Крон/Пуарье (Канада) - 165,89. 4. БОБРОВА/СОЛОВЬЕВ - 160,01. 5. Синьтон Хуан/Сюн Чжен (Китай) - 154,90. 6. Задорожнюк/Вербилло (Украина) - 154,61.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 09 Nov 2009, 07:16

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/content/...ws-item,00.html
06 Nov 2009 13:18

ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating - NHK Trophy, Day 1

The NHK Trophy kicked off Friday in Nagano, Japan, with the Compulsory Dance, the Pairs, Men’s and Ladies Short Programs. The NHK Trophy is the fourth of six events in the 2009/2010 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series. The skaters compete for a global prize money of US $ 180, 000 per individual event of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and receive points according to their placements. The top six skaters/couples of the series will proceed to the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in Tokyo, Japan.

Ice Dance, Compulsory Dance
The Compulsory Dance at the NHK Trophy was the Tango Romantica. The Tango Romantica is a romantic sinuous dance which expresses the soft, lyrical interpretive characteristics of the Tango. It must be skated with deep edges. The judges are looking for very erect carriage, precise timing and continuous flow. The difficulty of the steps should not be revealed in awkward or stressed upper body positions. The dance was created by 1976 Olympic Ice Dance Champions Ludmilla Pakhomova/Alexander Gorshkov and their coach Elena Tchaikovskaya. It was first performed in Moscow in 1974.

Meryl Davis/Charlie White (USA) danced to the lead ahead of Great Britain’s Sinead Kerr/John Kerr and Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev.
Davis/White put out a solid Tango Romantica that earned them a new seasons best score of 38.09 (18.90 element score/19.19 program component score). “We felt like it was a good dance today. It was improved since Russia. We tried to add a little bit of romantic flair. We worked on a few things technically and performance-wise since Russia”, Davis commented.
Kerr/Kerr skated also well and picked up 35.04 points (17.42/17.62), but didn’t achieve a new seasons best. “I think the Waltz had a bit of time to improve because we did the Waltz in Finlandia (Trophy) as well, so we improved the Waltz for France (Trophée Bompard). For this competition, we felt technically we did it (the Tango) well, but because it was our first time out with it we probably didn’t present as much as we could to. So that leaves something to work on for the future. We were careful to make it tidy”, Sinead Kerr said.
Bobrova/Soloviev produced a nice Tango as well to score 31.72 (16.54/15.18) points. “This is our second competition of the season, we did a competition in Russia before and also did the Tango there. This is our first Grand Prix event this year and we had a nice start as we skated the Tango quite well. We’ll improve it for our next Grand Prix, Skate Canada”, Soloviev explained.

Vanessa Crone/Paul Poirier (CAN) finished fourth at 30.51 points. They achieved a seasons best as did Anna Zadarozhniuk/Sergei Verbillo (UKR), who came in fifth with 29.67 points.

Pairs, Short Program
Russia’s Yuko Kavaguti/Alexander Smirnov grabbed the lead in the Pairs Short Program ahead of Qing Pang/Jian Tong of China. Caydee Denney/Jeremy Barrett (USA) came in third.

Performing to “The Swan” by Camille Saint-Saens, Kavaguti/Smirnov produced a strong performance that was highlighted by their excellent side by side triple toeloop, a throw triple loop and a triple twist. The reigning European silver medalists were awarded a level four for their spins and the lift while the death spiral and the footwork were graded a level three. The couple from St. Petersburg received a new seasons best of 68.90 points (38.94 element score/29.96 program component score). “We were very active in these past one and a half weeks after the Rostelecom Cup”, said Smirnov. “We wanted to make up for the weaknesses we showed there. We skated quite well today, but it wasn’t ideal yet. We still had some problems with our elements, not all of them were as clean as we wanted them to be”, he continued.
Pang/Tong opened their lyrical program to “The Pearlfishers” by Georges Bizet with a side by side triple toeloop, but he put his hand down. The team recovered instantly to reel off a high triple twist and throw triple loop. They got a level four for their spins and the lift. The reigning Grand Prix Final Champions picked up 67.30 points (37.74/30.56). “After the Grand Prix in Russia we made a little change to our footwork, because it was a level two in Russia, and now we got a level three, which makes us happy”, Tong told the press. “However, we had a small mistake today, the landing of my triple toeloop was not good, hopefully it will be better tomorrow”, he added.
Denney/Barrett skated first out of the eight pairs. Their dynamic routine to “Firebird” included a triple twist, triple toeloop, throw triple Lutz and a level four spin. The backwards outside death spiral received only a level one. The U.S. silver medalists scored 55.20 points (33.08/22.12). “This is our first Grand Prix ever and we felt great. We just switched to this program about a month ago”, revealed Barrett. “We started out with a different program earlier and it wasn’t quite working for us, so we switched to Firebird and I think it suits us much better. It was a good start today, but there is still a lot of work to do.”

Rena Inoue/John Baldwin (USA) are currently ranked fourth. They completed a throw triple loop and a double twist, but Inoue fell on the side by side double Axel (52.52 points). Ksenia Krasilnikova/Konstantin Berzmaternykh (RUS) finished fifth at 51.32 points. They landed a double twist and a throw triple flip, but Krasilnikova stumbled on the side by side triple Salchow.

Men, Short Program
Brian Joubert of France captured the Men’s Short Program with U.S. skaters Jeremy Abbott and Johnny Weir following in second and third.
Joubert nailed a strong quadruple-triple toeloop combination and a triple Axel in his fast-paced routine to “Rise” by Safri Duo, but he did a three-turn out of his triple Lutz. The European Champion went on to complete two level four spins and level three footwork. Only the combination spin got a level two. The Frenchman earned 85.35 points (46.80 element score/38.55 program component score), significantly improving over his score from the Trophée Bompard. “I am very happy with today’s performance. It was difficult for me after my first Grand Prix. I was very disappointed there, and it was important for me to do this kind of program today. This gives me confidence for the rest of the competition”, Joubert told the press.
Abbott opened his elegant performance to “A Day in the Life” by The Beatles with a solid triple flip-triple toeloop combination followed by a triple Axel and triple Lutz. The reigning ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final Champion was awarded a level four for the change foot sit spin and the flying sit spin and a level three for the combination spin and both step sequences. Abbott scored 83.00 points (45.40/37.60) and surpassed his previous personal best of 78.26 points clearly. “I was very nervous coming in, because it’s a lot of new firsts for me”, the U.S. Champion admitted. “This is the first full competition I’ve done (this season) and I have a new coach and a lot of new things happen to my life. So I was very anxious to see how it would turn out. My training has been going very well and I felt that I just kept everything the same (like in practice).”
Skating to a program he titled “I Love You, I Hate You”, Weir landed a triple Lutz-triple toeloop, a triple Axel and triple flip. He picked up a level four for two spins and a level three for the combination spin and the circular footwork to post a seasons best score of 78.35 points (41.70/36.65). “After my season premiere in Russia (Rostelecom Cup) just two weeks ago I was very angry with myself and the way I’ve skated there. So when I went home in the short period between the two competitions I worked very hard to change my mentality”, Weir explained. “When I went on the airplane I got very sick and I’m proud that I could still push through this situation and have a fever and still compete and really show the level of training that I’ve done this summer.”

Daisuke Takahashi (JPN), who competes in his first Grand Prix event since 2007 since missing the last season due to injury, landed a triple flip-triple toeloop combination, a triple Axel and a somewhat shaky triple Lutz, but went down in the circular footwork (78.18 points). Takahiko Kozuka (JPN) completed at triple Lutz-triple toeloop combination, a triple flip and three level-four spins, but crashed on the triple Axel.

Ladies, Short Program
Ashley Wagner (USA) won the Ladies Short Program ahead of Japan’s Miki Ando and Yukari Nakano.

Wagner’s routine set to “Once Upon a Time in America” featured a triple flip-double toeloop combination, a triple Lutz and two level-four spins, but her double Axel was cheated and downgraded. The two-time World junior bronze medalist collected 56.54 points (29.62 element score/26.92 program component score).

“I am pretty happy with my short program. Obviously first place is a good place to be, but it was not my best performance. My double Axel was downgraded. That was a little silly of me, but tomorrow in the long program I’ll be able to redeed myself and do a clean double Axel like a senior lady should be able to do”, Wagner noted.

Ando opened her program to a modern version of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s “Requiem” with a triple Lutz-double loop, but two-footed the Lutz. She fell on the triple flip, but landed the double Axel. Ando was awarded a level four for the combination spin and a level three for the flying sit spin and the spiral sequence, but the layback spin was just a level one. The 2007 World Champion scored 56.22 points (28.70/28.52). “The short program was a disaster, not because of the errors on the jumps, but because I couldn’t show the emotion”, Ando said. “I wanted to do a triple-triple combination, but my coach and I decided that I should to a triple-double, and it felt to me like something was missing and therefore I felt weaker. The triple-triple is a keypoint for winning this season and I’ve done many times.”

Nakano also had trouble with a jump. She underrotated her triple Lutz and stepped out of it and had no combination. The Japanese recovered to hit a triple flip, a double Axel and showed beautiful spins. All three spins received a level four. Nakano earned 54.92 points (28.40/26.52). “I couldn’t repeat my seasons best from the Grand Prix in France. The mistake I made was very unfortunate. The other elements were good, and this is a good lead for tomorrow”, Nakano told the press. “Today is today, I’ll forget about it and I’ll start from scratch in the free skating and I’ll make sure to get all the points that I can get.”

European Champion Laura Lepistö (FIN) finished fourth after popping the second jump in her planned triple toe-triple toe combination, but she produced difficult spins, a triple loop and double Axel (53.64 points). World Junior Champion Alena Leonova (RUS) hit a triple flip-double toe combination but fell on a triple Lutz to come in fifth at 52.34 points.

----------------------------------------------------------

07 Nov 2009 14:44

ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating - NHK Trophy, Day 2

The NHK Trophy continued Saturday in Nagano, Japan, with the Original Dance, the Pairs, Men’s and Ladies Free Skating. The NHK Trophy is the fourth of six events in the 2009/2010 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series. The skaters compete for a global prize money of US $ 180, 000 per individual event of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and receive points according to their placements. The top six skaters/couples of the series will proceed to the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in Tokyo, Japan.

Ice Dance, Original Dance
The competition day started with the Original Dance. The Original Dance for the 2009/10 season is the Folk/Country Dance. The couples at NHK Trophy chose different dances from India, Russia, Spain, Italy, the USA and Greece among others.

Meryl Davis/Charlie White (USA) strengthened their lead in the Original Dance. Sinead Kerr/John Kerr from Great Britain remained in second place while Canadians Vanessa Crone/Paul Poirier moved up from fourth to third.

Davis/White delivered a strong performance of their exotic Indian dance that featured a straight line lift with her changing positions in front of him and behind him, intricate steps and fast twizzles. The lift, the twizzles and the side by side footwork were graded a level four by the technical panel, and the circular footwork was a level three. The 2009 Four Continents Champions earned a new seasons best of 63.09 points (31.50 element score/31.59 program component score) and have accumulated 101.18 points so far. “We feel pretty good after the OD. We’ve been able to compete this program a couple of times so we feel more confident in the program”, Davis said. “It was nice to see the progression from Cup of Russia. One more level four is always good”, added White. “Obviously I think it’s just going to be a little more of practice, taking time to go over all our edges. It has to be a 100 percent on edge. It’s easy to make a little mistake here and there. We just go home and really focus on that. It’s one of the last things left in terms of technique in that program we need to work on”, he answered when asked what they need to do in order to achieve a level four on all elements.
Kerr/Kerr put out an entertaining American Country dance to “I’ve been everywhere” by Johnny Cash with him portraying a hitchhiker and her taking the role of a truck driver. The program was highlighted by a straight line lift and well synchronized twizzles and smooth footwork. The brother-and-sister team picked up a 56.53 points (28.10/28.43), which is a new seasons best. Overall they now got 91.57 points. “We feel pretty good with our performance. It feels like every time we get out there we feel from a performance point of view we really improve on it. The more we can perform this routine the more we can relate to the crowd, the more we can realize which parts work really well and which parts still don’t work so well. I feel it’s a good progression from where we were at in Paris (at Trophée Bompard)”, John Kerr explained.
Crone/Poirier chose a Flamenco routine that included a rotational lift, a level-three diagonal step sequence and level-three twizzles. The 2008 World junior silver medalists scored 50.87 points (26.20 element score/24.67 program component score), which is a new seasons best, and moved up one spot to third at 81.38 points overall. “We were very happy with our performance today. We did all our elements very well. We had a few things that we were told to work on at the Cup of Russia two weeks ago and it felt like we really improved on them. I think something that was a lot better was the level of expression and interpretation, which is something that’s usually not our strongest point”, Poirier told the post-event press conference.

Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev (RUS) dropped one spot to fourth after wobbly twizzles in their Russian dance (79.23 points). Anna Zadarozhniuk/Sergei Verbillo (UKR) finished fifth with an Ukrainian dance (78.68 points).

Pairs, Free Skating
Qing Pang/Jian Tong of China skated to victory in the pairs event. Russia’s Yuko Kavaguti/Alexander Smirnov claimed the silver medal, and the bronze went to Rena Inoue/John Baldwin (USA).

Pang/Tong turned in a dynamic performance to “The Impossible Dream” from the musical “The Man of La Mancha”. The reigning ISU Grand Prix Final Champions hit their opening side by side double Axel-double Axel sequence, the triple toeloop, a high triple twist, throw triple loop and Salchow. The 2006 World Champions were awarded a level four for their side by side spin, the death spiral, the pair spin, spiral sequence and all three lifts and collected 132.35 points (69.63 element score/62.72 program component score), setting a new personal best for themselves. Overall they accumulated 199.65 points, another personal best, to move up one spot and to take the gold in their second Grand Prix event this season. “We achieved a new personal best score today, and that makes us very happy. We skated very well, but there are still some things we can improve. In the three weeks before the Grand Prix Final we will work on solving these issues and then we want to skate our very best there”, Tong commented.
Skating to “Valse Sentimentale” by Peter Tchaikovski and to “On the Blue Danube” by Johann Strauss, Kavaguti/Smirnov went for a quadruple throw Salchow, but Kavaguti took a bad fall. The Japanese-born skater needed a medical break before she was able to continue the performance. :sh_ok: :ny_tik: As if nothing had happened, the couple then reeled off a side by side triple toeloop, a triple twist, a double Axel-double Axel sequence and a throw triple loop. The European silver medalists received a level four for their spins, their lifts and the forward inside death spiral and posted a new seasons best of 124.15 points (65.39 element score/61.76 program component score). They received one point deduction for the fall and two points deduction for the interruption of the program. Kavaguti/Smirnov totaled 193.05 points and slipped from first to second place. “I dislocated my shoulder in the fall and it didn’t go back so easily, therefore we had to stop the performance”, Kavaguti said. “I just thought that I have to finish the program, but now to be honest, it does really hurt now. I skated the program just with my spirit.” The couple was forced to withdraw from the exhibition gala.
Inoue/Baldwin’s program to Peter Tchaikovski’s Piano Concerto No. 1 inlcuded a side by side triple toeloop, a sequence consisting of two double Axels, a throw triple loop and difficult lifts. Only their triple twist was messy and Inoue fell on the throw triple Axel. The 2006 Four Continents Champions picked up 106.26 points (59.14/49.12). In addition to the deduction for the fall, they lost a point because of a time violation. The former U.S. Champions moved up from fourth to third at 158.78 points overall. “From the beginning of our program we were able to enjoy our skating”, Inoue noted. “Now we have to go back and prepare for our Nationals. This will be the height of our season”.

Caydee Denney/Jeremy Barrett (USA), who stood in third place after the Short Program, came in fourth after she fell on the throw triple Lutz and he singled an Axel, but they completed a throw triple loop and a triple twist (151.43 points). Mylene Brodeur/John Mattatal (CAN) moved up one spot to fifth. They produced a side by side triple toeloop, a triple twist and throw triple Salchow (150.71 points).

Pang/Tong pocketed 15 points and are now qualified for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final with the maximum of 30 points. Kavaguti/Smirnov (13 points) most likely will have qualified with 26 points. Inoue/Baldwin (11 points) got 20 point overall.

Men, Free Skating
Brian Joubert of France claimed gold in the Men’s event. Johnny Weir (USA) moved up from third place to second and newcomer Michal Brezina from the Czech Republic came from sixth place to grab the bronze medal.
Overnight leader Joubert skated last and knew what his competitors had done and what he needed to do. The three-time and reigning European Champion opened his routine to “Ancient Land” by Ronan Hardiman with a solid quadruple toeloop followed by a triple Salchow. He stumbled on the triple Axel but recovered to reel off two triple flips (one in combination with a double toe), a triple Lutz, triple loop-double toe and triple Salchow-double toe. However, the Frenchman received a negative grade of execution on both flips because of the take off from the wrong edge. The flying sit and change sit spin were graded a level four while the footwork and the combination spin were a level two. Joubert earned a seasons best of 147.35 points (70.65 element score/76.70 program component score) and racked up a total score of 232.70 points to win the NHK Trophy. “I am very happy about this competition. I’ve never won NHK Trophy”, Joubert said. “We’ve worked a lot a lot, but we had only one week and I wasn’t completely ready. Winning this competition is great, but I still have a lot to work on.”
Weir landed a triple flip, a solid triple Axel-triple toe combination, another triple Axel and three more triples in his lyrical routine titled “Fallen Angel” which is set to music from the movies “City of Angels” and “Lady Caliph”. The only major glitch was a popped loop jump. The reigning ISU Grand Prix Final bronze medalist picked up a level four for two of his spins and a level three for both step sequences to score 139.35 points (68.15/71.20), setting a new seasons best for himself. Weir scored 217.70 points and was ranked third in the Free Skating but overall moved up to second place, edging out Brezina by just 0.22 points. “I was very happy that I was able to push through this week. It is definitely a medal well earned”, Weir commented. “Of course there were mistakes that shouldn’t be made later in the season. It (competing in spite of illness) will help me immensely in the season, because I had this very stressful and difficult situation behind me and I came out with a medal.”
Brezina stood in sixth place after the Short Program and turned a playful program to “An American in Paris” by George Gershwin. The current World Junior silver medalist nailed six clean triples, including two triple Axels, that all received positive grade of execution marks from the panel of judges. The Czech skater also earned a level four for two spins and a level three for the footwork and the flying sit spin. Brezina got a personal best of 146.68 points (78.78/67.90) and totaled 217.48 points (personal best as well) to jump on to the podium in the first senior-level Grand Prix event of his career. “This is my first senior Grand Prix, and I’m very happy with my medal. I skated almost clean in both programs, which is what I wanted. I hope that I can continue to skate like this in my next Grand Prix, Skate Canada”, Brezina explained. “I knew this (NHK Trophy) was a difficult Grand Prix, and I didn’t expect a medal, but I thought of what my father always says – ‘everybody can beat everybody’”, he added.

Daisuke Takahashi (JPN) finished fourth. He landed five triples, but he stumbled on a quad toeloop attempt, missed a triple loop and toeloop that were downgraded as well (214.29 points). Jeremy Abbott (USA) plummeted from second to fifth. His routine contained four clean triple jumps, but he crashed on a quad toe attempt, a triple flip and a triple Axel (208.45 points).
Joubert picked up 15 points for his win and collected 24 overall. He will now have to wait and see if that is enough to get him to the ISU Grand Prix Final. Weir (13 points) now has 22 overall and also will know only after the last two events if he qualified for Tokyo. Brezina (11 points) will compete again in two weeks at Skate Canada.

Ladies, Free Skating
Miki Ando of Japan came out on top in the Ladies event with a lot of shuffling in the standings. Russia’s Alena Leonova won the Free Skating to surge from fifth to second while overnight leader Ashley Wagner (USA) slipped to third. The Ladies repeated the podium from the Rostelecom Cup, only second and third place switched.
Ando stood in second place following the Short Program and skated next to last. She had to overcome a shaky start when she under-rotated and two-footed her opening triple Lutz attempt in her “Cleopatra” routine. The 2007 World Champion went on to complete a double Axel-double toeloop combination, a big triple loop and triple Salchow and a triple Lutz, but she fell on the back end of a triple toe-double loop combination. The reigning World bronze medalist received a level four for the flying combination spin, the flying sit spin and the spiral sequence to earn 106.33 points (48.93 element score/58.40 program component score). She was ranked second in the Free Skating but overall pulled up to first at 162.55 points. “I stood in the middle of the podium for the first time in Japan (at a Grand Prix event), but I’m not really happy, because my free skating wasn’t competitive”, Ando said. “I am pleased to be in the Final and I will train hard for it and try to become stronger mentally. I’m looking forward to the Finale in Tokyo, so I can show the people in Japan a better performance.”
Leonova turned in an entertaining program to “Chicago” that featured five clean triple jumps, but she stepped out of the triple toe-triple toe combination and her triple Lutz was wobbly. The flying combination spin was graded a level four, while the combination spin and the spiral sequence got a level three. The World Junior Champion collected 108.51 points (57.07/51.44), setting a new seasons best and accumulating 160.85 points to move up from fifth to second. “I am very pleased with my free skating. I almost did the triple toe-triple toe combination, I just stepped out of it. But I’m still very happy, because this is the first time that I got credit for it in competition”, Leonova noted. “If I can go to the Grand Prix Final, it would be another chance for me to present myself, and I want to make up for the mistakes that I made in the short program, like some of the levels”, she continued.
Wagner started with a shaky triple flip-double toe combination into her routine to “Polovetsian Dances” and then hit a triple loop and double Axel, but she struggled with her jumps in the second half of the program, stumbling on a triple Salchow, a double Axel (in sequence with a triple flip) and singling her Lutz. Wagner picked up some points for solid spins that got level four and threes. The two-time World Junior bronze medalist scored 99.45 points (45.61/53.84) which added up to 155.99 points overall. “It wasn’t the best program, but I still accomplished some of the goals that I wanted to accomplish here”, Wagner told the press. “I’m on the podium, so I’m pretty happy with that overall. Going through the program, I think I just was a little bit tired. I’ve been on the road for three weeks. By the time I got to the long program it’s been a long trip”, she explained. Following the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow, the skater hadn’t returned home but trained in Austria before coming to Japan.
Yukari Nakano (JPN) slipped from third to fourth place with 152.35 points. She completed three clean triples and strong spins, but she doubled the Lutz, a triple flip was cheated and she fell on an under-rotated triple Salchow. European Champion Laura Lepistö (FIN) came in fifth after doubling a Lutz and a Salchow and singling a loop.
Ando collected the maximum of 30 points from her two wins in the Grand Prix series and has qualified for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. Leonova earned 13 points in Nagano and now has 24. Wagner (11) points collected 24 points as well, but is ranked behind Leonova because of a tie breaker.

Sarah Meier (SUI) withdrew from the Ladies event after the warm up due to an acute inflammation of her right Achilles tendon. :-( She stood in 8th place following the Short Program.

-----------------------------------------------

08 Nov 2009 06:31

ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating - NHK Trophy, Day 3

The NHK Trophy concluded Sunday in Nagano, Japan, with the Free Dance and the Exhibition Gala. The NHK Trophy was the fourth of six events in the 2009/2010 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series. The skaters compete for a global prize money of US $ 180, 000 per individual event of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and receive points according to their placements. The top six skaters/couples of the series will proceed to the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in Tokyo, Japan.

Ice Dance, Free Dance
Meryl Davis/Charlie White (USA) danced to victory. Sinead Kerr/John Kerr of Great Britain took the silver medal while Canadians Vanessa Crone/Paul Poirier earned the bronze.

Davis/White put out a captivating performance of their powerful “Phantom of the Opera” program. The routine was highlighted by a straight line-rotational lift many changes of position for Davis, a straight line lift with him skating backwards on one foot while she balanced on his leg, fast twizzles and intricate footwork. The crowd awarded the couple a standing ovation. Davis/White picked up a level four for their lifts and the combination spin and a level three for the circular and diagonal footwork as well as for the twizzles to earn 100.79 points (49.50 element score/program component score). Overall they racked up 201.97 points and took their second Grand Prix gold medal this season. “Sometimes it is a little bit tough being the last event the day after everyone else is finished competing. I think we all were able to make the most of it. It was a really good event for all of us. For Meryl and myself, we skated really well, technically speaking we were able to emote”, White said. “At this point, we are getting pretty comfortable with it (the program). The Olympics are still ways away, but I think that we should be able to have a really great program by then”, he added.
Kerr/Kerr danced to “Krwling” by Linkin Park, telling the story of a man in distress that finds guidance by a spirit. The 2009 European bronze medalists produced innovative lifts such as a lift with her doing a handstand on his knee and a straight line lift in a low position. As usual, their inverse lift where Sinead Kerr lifts her brother, was a crowd favourite. However, Sinead Kerr was a little off-balance in the twizzles that were graded a level one. The diagonal step sequence received a level two as well, while the lifts and the spin were a level three. Kerr/Kerr scored 86.16 points (43.00/43.16) which added up to 177.73 points overall. The Scots claimed their first silver medal on the Grand Prix circuit and the second medal this season. They had won two bronze medals last year. “We were pleased with our technical score; it improved since our last Grand Prix. I did a few silly mistakes. Hopefully that can be improved on for the next one”, Sinead Kerr noted. “It would be great (to qualify for the Grand Prix Final for the first time). I think it kind of does depend on the way some other results go, but obviously if we could make it to the Grand Prix Final, it would be an amazing achievement for us. We always want to do everything that’s in figure skating and Grand Prix Final is something that we’ve never done before”, John Kerr added.
Crone/Poirier chose the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice as the theme of their Free Dance. The 2008 World Junior silver medalists completed interesting lifts including a stationary lift with him spinning on one foot in a deep position, level-four twizzles and a serpentine step sequence that received a level three. The Canadians posted a new seasons best with 84.51 points (43.20/41.31) and claimed bronze at 165.89 points. It was the second Grand Prix medal for this young team. They were silver medalists at Skate Canada in 2008. “This was a much stronger performance of our free dance from the last Grand Prix. There are still a few things that we need to fix, and the level of performance can always improve so that’s what we’ll look to work on towards our next competition”, Poirier told the press.

Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev (RUS) finished fourth with a powerful performance of “Adagio” (160.01 points). Xintong Huang/Xun Zheng (CHN) skated to “Adagio” as well and moved up from sixth to fifth place at 154.90 points.

Davis/White took 15 points and are qualified for the Grand Prix Final with the maximum of 30 points from their two wins. Kerr/Kerr (13 points) now have 24 points from their two events and have to wait and see if they will qualify for the Final for the first time in their career. Crone/Poirier (11 points) collected 20 points in their two events.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 09 Nov 2009, 07:18

ISU Grand Prix Skate America 2009

Lake Placid, 12-15.11.2009.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent00011091.htm

Entries

Men
No. Name Nation
1 Kevin REYNOLDS CAN 1
2 Shawn SAWYER CAN 1
3 Jialiang WU CHN 2
4 Tomas VERNER CZE 3
5 Florent AMODIO FRA 4
6 Yasuharu NANRI JPN 5
7 Andrei LUTAI RUS 6
8 Igor MACYPURA SVK 7
9 Adrian SCHULTHEISS SWE 8
10 Ryan BRADLEY USA 9
11 Evan LYSACEK USA 9
12 Brandon MROZ USA 9

Ladies
No. Name Nation
1 Elena GLEBOVA EST 1
2 Susanna PÖYKIÖ FIN 2
3 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO 3
4 Sarah HECKEN GER 4
5 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 5
6 Fumie SUGURI JPN 6
7 Yu-Na KIM KOR 7
8 Joshi HELGESSON SWE 8
9 Tugba KARADEMIR TUR 9
10 Sasha COHEN USA 10
11 Rachael FLATT USA 10
12 Alexe GILLES USA 10

Pairs
No. Name Nation
1 Meagan DUHAMEL / Craig BUNTIN CAN 1
2 Xue SHEN / Hongbo ZHAO CHN 2
3 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN 2
4 Stacey KEMP / David KING GBR 3
5 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV UKR 4
6 Brooke CASTILE / Benjamin OKOLSKI USA 5
7 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG USA 5
8 Keauna McLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 5

Ice Dance
No. Name Nation
1 Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG CHN 1
2 Caitlin MALLORY / Kristjan RAND EST 2
3 Zoe BLANC / Pierre-Loup BOUQUET FRA 3
4 Alexandra ZARETSKI / Roman ZARETSKI ISR 4
5 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 5
6 Kristina GORSHKOVA / Vitali BUTIKOV RUS 6
7 Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI RUS 6
8 Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO USA 7
9 Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN USA 7
10 Kimberly NAVARRO / Brent BOMMENTRE USA 7

--------------------------------------------

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/sa_preview.shtml
November 8, 2009, By Elvin Walker

2009 Skate America
PREVIEW

The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating continues this week in Lake Placid, USA, for the fifth installment of competition known as the Skate America. Sixty skaters representing 16 countries will compete in the competition, attempting to earn points towards qualification to the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final to be held in December in Tokyo.

American ice dancers Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto are hoping to win for a second time, as is the Chinese pairs team of Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao. Korea's Yu-Na Kim should continue to dominate the ladies field with a win in Lake Placid, and World Champion Evan Lysacek looks to harvest his first Grand Prix gold of the season.

LADIES

The ladies competition should be a walk in the park for World Champion Yu-Na Kim of Korea. In seven Grand Prix events, Kim has won six titles, and in three tries, she has won the Final twice. At her first competition this season in Paris, she broke the world records for the highest free skate and overall total in a competition.

Of those in this competition who have competed on the Grand Prix so far this season, Kim, 19, has outscored her closest rival by more than 50 points. Barring a meltdown of epic proportions or Kim withdrawing from the competition, the World Champion should come away with her seventh Grand Prix title in Lake Placid. The more interesting story in Lake Placid, perhaps, is the fight among the other eleven ladies in the field for the silver medal.

The most poised of the also-rans is American Rachael Flatt, who placed fifth at the 2009 World Championships in Los Angeles. In Beijing, Flatt finished fifth in both sections of the event, and fourth overall with uncharacteristically shaky performances. Flatt's strength is that she lands her jumps, but in Beijing, the U.S. silver medalist made three errors in the free skate and one in the short program.

Lake Placid will be a good test for Flatt in that she has the opportunity to medal in a very close field of competitors. A typical skate from the 17 year-old should place her on the podium, but performances similar to those in Beijing will continue the 2008 World Junior Champion's competitive disappointments.

Teammate Alexe Gilles shocked many in Paris earlier this season by skating a gorgeous short program and finishing less than a point behind former World Champion Mao Asada. Gilles, 17, ended up in fifth place in Paris and earned new personal bests in each phase of the competition.

Gilles is a strong technical skater who could surprise everyone again with two solid performances. Heading in to Skate America, the Junior Grand Prix bronze medalist feels like she is more competitive than ever before.

"Going into Skate America I am way more confident than I was in Paris," admitted the 2008 U.S. Junior Champion. "Hopefully I can use that confidence to help my performances. In the short I am really working on the components, and in the long I am working on getting it clean with all my triples including the triple-triple."

Former European Champion Julia Sebestyen is having a resurgence of sorts after five years of disappointing results in international competitions. In Moscow, the Hungarian won the short program before imploding in the freeskate to finish in sixth place overall.

Sebestyen has huge jumps that are a thing of beauty, but often the two-time Grand Prix Finalist is unable to control the landings. The 28 year-old has not medaled on the Grand Prix since 2006, but this could be her chance to climb back onto the podium.

Like Sebestyen, Japan's Fumie Suguri has seen better days. The three-time World medalist started a comeback of sorts last season, medaling in both of her Grand Prix events and earning her first trip to the World Championships in three years. This season, however, the 28 year-old is struggling with her jumps and does not seem prepared to compete for medals.

In Beijing, Suguri finished in a disappointing seventh place with a score more than 30 points less than her personal best. A top five finish in Lake Placid would be a step in the right direction for the three-time Four Continents Champion, but it appears as if this might be the last time that we see her in international competition.

Georgia's Elene Gedevanishvili is the wild card in this competition, and could make things tough for the front runners. Gedevanishvili, 19, is wildly inconsistent, but can finish near the top of the pack when she skates well. If she skates like she does in most competitions, Gedevanishvili will be in the hunt after the short program, but history shows she may falter in the freeskate.

Estonia's Elena Glebova (16th, 2009 World Championships) returns to the Grand Prix after a successful campaign at the international "B" events this season. Glebova finished ninth at the Nebelhorn Trophy and clinched a spot for her country at the Olympic Games. Just a few weeks ago, the 20 year-old followed that up with a fourth place finish at the Ice Challenge in Austria. A medal is out of the question for Glebova, but exceeding her best finish (sixth) at a Grand Prix event is certainly not.

Susanna Pöykiö from Finland returns to action after withdrawing from the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow due to injury. Earlier this season, Pöykiö finished 10th at the Finlandia Trophy and did not look to be in good form. If the 27 year-old shows up to compete in Lake Placid, she will be skating to regain her confidence rather than for medals. A top five finish would a triumph for the two-time European medalist.

After a three year hiatus from competition, American Sasha Cohen is scheduled to compete in Lake Placid. The Olympic silver medalist was also entered in the event in Paris, but withdrew from the competition citing injury. Should the 2006 Olympic silver medalist make the trip to Lake Placid, it will be interesting to learn how her skating has evolved since her last eligible competition.

Whether Cohen is prepared to contend for medals is anyone's guess, but should she compete, her presence will certainly cause quite a stir. The big question, however, is if Cohen has recovered from her injury in time to participate in the competition, and if she hasn't, will the former U.S. Champion withdraw in time for a replacement to be named.

Rounding out the roster in Lake Placid is Germany's Sarah Hecken (7th, 2009 Junior World Championships) in her Grand Prix debut, Joshi Helgesson from Sweden (4th, 2009 Junior World Championships) also in her Grand Prix debut, and Tugba Karademir from Turkey (21st, 2009 World Championships).

MEN

USA's Evan Lysacek will make the trip to Lake Placid, and will attempt to win his first Skate America title in six tries. The World Champion last stood atop a Grand Prix podium in 2006 when he won the Cup of China title in Nanjing.

This season, Lysacek bears the burden of being the hunted, but so far he has not let it affect his skating. In his first assignment of the season in Beijing, he looked well prepared and seemed comfortable in his role as reigning World Champion. However, the two-time U.S. Champion admitted to dealing with nerves in the free skate, and had to settle for a silver medal behind champion Nobunari Oda from Japan.

"I felt nervous," Lysacek explained. "I think that was stemming from how much I really like and care about (this program) and the amount of training that has gone into this program. I think as the year progresses towards the Olympics, this program is going to turn into something even better."

In Lake Placid, Lysacek should win the title with similar performances, but he would improve his chances if he has worked on upgrading his step sequences and landings on combination jumps. The 24 year-old seems poised to take on that challenge, and should wow the home crowd. A medal of any color should be enough to clinch a berth in the Grand Prix Final, but Lysacek will want to go into the event as an event champion.

"I look forward to Skate America and hopefully improving on this performance."

The biggest threat to blocking the Lysacek from claiming the title is 2008 European Champion Tomáš Verner. The Czech is also coming off of a silver medal winning performance in his first Grand Prix of the season in Paris, and like Lysacek, had to watch as Oda ascended to the top of that podium.

Verner does not have the intensity and attention to performance of Lysacek, but he boasts a stronger arsenal of jumps. Though the 23 year-old has been known for being wildly inconsistent in past seasons, this season Verner seems to have controlled his skating more than in the past. In addition to his silver medal in Paris, he won the title at the Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria, just a few weeks ago.

To challenge Lysacek and earn a second consecutive trip to the Grand Prix Final, Verner must stay calm and focus on each element. If Verner succumbs to the pressure, as he is often prone to do, he will struggle to take a spot on the podium. Like Lysacek, a medal of any color should be enough to take him back to the Grand Prix Final, but winning the event would be a great statement as the Olympic Games approach.

American Ryan Bradley hopes to recover from a disappointing ninth place finish in Paris to open his competition season. Before Paris, Bradley had hoped to make a run for the Grand Prix Final, but he was unable to match that goal with his skating. In Lake Placid, 2007 U.S. silver medalist hopes that changes to his programs will help him to salvage the Grand Prix for him.

"I have changed my footwork since Paris," the 25 year-old said. "We slowed things down to make them a little more edgy, and I am really excited about the switch. I am extremely motivated. I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder that keeps pushing me every day to get to where I need to be."

In Paris, Bradley put a quadruple toe loop in both of his programs, which turned out to be his best jump of the competition. However, he understands that there is more to earning medals than landing a quadruple jump.

"I do feel like my quad is one of my best jumps," Bradley. "I want to go out and do two clean programs like I have been doing in practice, and finally show that I belong with the best in the world."

Bradley's training mate Brandon Mroz will also make the trip to Lake Placid. The U.S. silver medalist had high hopes for this season's Grand Prix, but he faltered in his first assignment in Moscow and finished in seventh place. Mroz skated a great free skate in Moscow, but made mistakes on every jumping pass in the short program that took him out of contention from the start.

Mroz plans a quadruple toe loop in his short program, and it might be too large a burden for him to undertake. It is important for the 18 year-old to regain confidence in the short program, and a less challenging jump could allow him to skate to a better result. Should he be able to stay in the hunt after the short program, the two-time Junior Grand Prix Final silver medalist has a great chance of making the podium.

France's Florent Amodio opened his Grand Prix campaign with a disappointing ninth place finish in Moscow. After defeating his countryman Brian Joubert in the French Masters earlier in the season, there was a lot of buzz surrounding the French silver medalist.

"Russia was really difficult for me," admitted the Brazilian-born Amodio. "I skated with bad boots and I had no feeling in my feet when I wore them. I couldn't skate like I do every day in practice. I was ready for this competition, but I wasn't able to do my job. That's life, and I will just take it as a good experience."

"Now I have new skates that work for me," continued the 19 year-old, "and even though I have not had a lot of time to adapt to them, I am ready to show people how I can really skate."

In Lake Placid, Amodio needs to show the world what he can really do. At his best, Amodio has beautiful edges, line, and shows incredible maturity for such a young skater. The Junior Grand Prix Final Champion also has beautiful jumps and spins that can earn him high technical element scores.

"I'm going to approach the Skate America like every competition," Amodio said. "I have to do my stuff!"

Canada sends two men to Lake Placid - Kevin Reynolds and Shawn Sawyer, who finished fourth and fifth respectively at their national championships. As far as skaters go, Reynolds and Sawyer are polar opposites. Reynolds (19) is the technician - a skater who depends on landing quadruple jumps to propel him to the top because everything else is deficient. Sawyer (24), on the other hand, is the artist who struggles to manage the big technical elements.

Neither Reynolds nor Sawyer has a great chance at the podium in Lake Placid, but they are both noteworthy for what they contribute to skating. Reynolds has some of the most exciting jumps in the world, and could school most of the rest of the field in how to land a quadruple jump. Sawyer is beautiful to watch with world-class stretch and edges that glide effortlessly through the ice. However, if the top skaters falter, Reynolds could jump his way to the podium. Likewise, if there are mistakes by other skaters and Sawyer is having a good jump day, he could surprise everyone and make the podium.

Adrian Schultheiss from Sweden finished in fifth place in Moscow just a few weeks ago, and is an entertaining skater who skates to Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up among other music in his free skate. Schultheiss finished in 18th place at both the European and World Championships last season, but the American crowd should find him exciting to watch nevertheless. The two-time Swedish silver medalist is a risk taker, but his technical merit will keep him from reaching the podium. A top five finish for the 21 year-old would be a satisfying result.

Four men of vastly different resumes make their season Grand Prix debut in Lake Placid. Leading the way is Russia's Andrei Lutai (23) who was 10th at last year's World Championships and 8th at the European Championships. Lutai was scheduled to debut at the Rostelecom Cup of Russia, but was pulled from the competition after poor performances in the Russian Cup Series.

China's Jialiang Wu (24) was also pulled from his first assignment this season, the Cup of Russia, after failing to earn his country a berth to the Olympic Games at the Nebelhorn Trophy. Wu's 19th place finish relegates the Chinese men to being the fifth alternate for the Games. The two-time Chinese Champion finished 28th at the 2009 World Championships.

Japan's Yasuharu Nanri, 12th at last year's Four Continents Championships, returns to the Grand Prix for the 5th year. Nanri (24), who finished in fourth place at the Japanese championships last season, has never finished higher than eighth place in a Grand Prix event.

Igor Macypura from Slovakia returns to the Grand Prix after finishing 24th at the World Championships in Los Angeles. Last season Macypura finished 9th at Skate America, and he opens his competitive season in Lake Placid.

PAIRS

The big story in the pairs division in Lake Placid is Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao from China as they build towards their fourth Olympic Games. Just two weeks ago in Beijing, the two-time Olympic bronze medalists won their first competition back from semi-retirement in convincing fashion. In winning Cup of China, Shen and Zhao defeated teammates Dan Zhang (24) and Hao Zhang (25), the reigning Olympic silver medalists, by more than ten points.

Shen (30) and Zhao (36) competed in Beijing as if they had not missed a beat, and seem poised to contend for another Olympic medal. In Lake Placid, the three-time World Champions need not change anything from what they did in Beijing. Small improvements in attention to detail in choreography could make a huge difference in the overall impression of the programs, but Skate America is Shen and Zhao's competition to lose.

A medal of any color will guarantee Shen and Zhao a 10th trip to the Grand Prix Final, which ties Russia's Irina Slutskaya's record for most appearances in the competition. Shen and Zhao are worthy of such an historic accomplishment, and should easily see that milestone come to fruition.

Just as in Beijing, Shen and Zhao will skate against Zhang and Zhang for the title. Zhang and Zhang struggled in Beijing with the solo jumps, but were never really in contention for the title. The The World silver medalists lack the intangible 'it' factor of their veteran countrymen, and will have to make sure that everything is executed cleanly and at the highest level if they hope to challenge.

This season Zhang and Zhang's programs appear to lack spark, and in particular, Dan Zhang does not look comfortable on the ice. This couple has all of the makings of a championship team, but they have yet to relate to each other in their programs. However, while they may not be able to challenge Shen and Zhao for the title, they are so technically sound that they should earn the silver medal with relative ease.

Ukrainians Tatiana Volosozhar and Stanislav Morozov and Americans Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker will battle it out for the bronze medal. Both teams are coming off of a bronze medal in their first Grand Prix this season - the Ukrainians in China and the Americans in Russia.

Volosozhar (23) and Morozov (30) have the more impressive resume, finishing as high as fourth at both the European and World Figure Skating Championships. In addition, the 2008-09 Grand Prix Finalists have a season's best of more than 10 points higher than that of McLaughlin and Brubaker.

McLaughlin (17) and Brubaker (23) are looking at the Grand Prix as a tune-up for the rest of the season, realizing that it might be too much to ask for perfection so early in the year. In Russia, the two-time U.S. Champions skated an impressive short program, but faded in the free skate. Should they hope to win a medal in Lake Placid, they will have to hope for two clean skates and perhaps a mistake by one of the top teams.

Canada's Meagan Duhamel and Craig Buntin got off to a rocky start in their first Grand Prix of the season. In Beijing, Duhamel (23) and Buntin (29) finished fourth overall, but they struggled with solo jumps in both segments of competition. The Canadian silver medalists have the potential to medal in Lake Placid if they are able to skate as they have in previous seasons.

The American team of Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig (7th, 2009 Cup of China) will join former U.S. Champions Brooke Castile and Benjamin Okolski (4th, 2009 Nebelhorn Trophy) in Lake Placid. Completing the roster is the British duo of Stacy Kemp and David King (13th, 2009 World Championships).

DANCE

The dance field in Lake Placid will be one of the less intriguing of the Grand Prix as there is a distinct difference in quality of those who will challenge for the podium. It is likely that fourth through sixth place will be the most heated part of the competition as the top three teams have distanced themselves from the pack (and from each other) already in this young season.

Americans Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto will look to return to the top of the Skate America podium after losing their stronghold on the title last season. A win in Lake Placid would give them a record fifth title at Skate America, and would also earn them a sixth trip to the Grand Prix Final. Two weeks ago in Beijing, the Worlds silver medalists easily won their eighth Grand Prix title, and should come away with another title in Lake Placid.

In China, it was evident that the four-time World Champions had worked hard over the summer to improve their overall skating. Belbin (25) in particular has greatly improved her leg line, and their Moldavian folk original dance fits her perky style. Agosto (27) seemed somewhat lethargic in the original dance in Beijing, but he recovered well to skate an inspired free dance.

In Lake Placid, it is important that 2006 Olympic silver medalists continue to grow into their programs, particularly by showing technical improvement in the original dance. In the free dance, which Belbin has called the most difficult of their career, the team needs to show more passion to match the technical difficulty of the dance.

The five-time U.S. Champions will be challenged once again by Russia's Jana Khokhlova and Sergei Novitski. The two teams faced off in Beijing, but the European Champions were not equipped to threaten Belbin and Agosto's run to the title.

Khokhlova and Novitski skated well in Beijing, but they were far from their personal bests. The Russian Champions incurred three extended lift deductions in the competition, but those are relatively easy fixes from one competition to the next. In terms of talent, Khokhlova (24) is infinitely more advanced than Novitski (28), and the duo needs to address this should they hope to advance in the standings internationally.

The bigger problem for the former World medalists lies in their overall packaging. The choreography in Khokhlova and Novitski's original dance lacks the maturity that is needed at this level, and their costumes detract from instead of enhancing their performance.

Khokhlova is rightfully featured in their Meadowlands free dance, but again, the costumes are so overpowering that it is difficult to appreciate the dancing. And in Novitski's case, the bright red costume highlights his inability to match his partner's superior line and attention to detail.

The Italian team of Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte are fresh off a silver medal winning performance at the Rostelecom Cup of Russia just a few weeks ago. They are making a steady climb up the international ranks, and are poised to make their first Grand Prix Final if they are able to overtake the Russians for the silver medal here.

An off-season coaching change to celebrated French coach Mariel Zazoui looks to be the right choice for the Italian silver medalists. They have made tremendous strides in their skating this season, demonstrating increased speed, intricacy, and attention to detail in all facets of their skating. In stark contrast to Khokhlova and Novitski, Cappellini (22) and Lanotte (24) are packaged perfectly, and skate programs that the audience can understand.

American bronze medalists Kimberly Navarro and Brent Bommentre are looking to improve upon their sixth place finish in Paris in the first event of the Grand Prix. In Lake Placid, Navarro (28) and Bommentre (25) have the opportunity to earn their highest placement on the Grand Prix, but they will have to skate up to the challenge.

"(In Paris) we lost a lot of points technically in the free dance," Navarro explained. "We have been drilling and drilling the free dance elements since then and have made a change to one lift."

Navarro and Bommentre skate an Afro-Brazilian original dance that sets them apart from the competition, and the duo have painstakingly studied the genre to ensure that they are as true to the Capoeira Angola dance as possible.

"Our Brazilian specialist, Jeannine Osayande, put us through a semester's worth of education," said an enthusiastic Navarro. "We learned how to play the drums, danced outside to live music, and ate Brazilian food."

The 2008 Four Continents bronze medalists are always crowd favorites, but they must pay attention to the technical aspects of their programs. Oftentimes, Navarro and Bommentre leave a lot of points on the ice when they get wrapped up in the performance. In Lake Placid the duo has an outside shot at a medal, so being cognitive of the technical elements will be paramount to their success.

Teammates Madison Chock and Greg Zuerlein had a rocky start to their Grand Prix careers, finishing in a disappointing eighth place at Cup of China. The Junior World Champions aspired to finish in the top five in Beijing, but quickly learned that success on the Grand Prix is difficult to come by.

"Let me just say it was a great learning experience for us," said Zuerlein with a smile. "We made some very silly mistakes, especially in the free dance, so we will try to fix those. For example, we need to hold our spin longer to get level four."

Chock (17) and Zuerlein (21) are excited to compete in Lake Placid, and should improve on their standing in China.

"We are most looking forward to skating in front of our home crowd," Zuerlein admitted.

Another American, Caitlin Mallory, will compete under the Estonian flag with her partner Kristian Rand. Skate America will be the Grand Prix debut for the Olympic-bound Mallory and Rand.

"I am very excited to skate my first Grand Prix in America," Mallory said. "I have competed many times in Lake Placid while skating for the United States, and it will be really fun to be back."

Mallory and Rand, both 22, have a tough road ahead of them should they hope to contend for a medal, but they will likely be remembered instead for their original dance.

"We chose Estonian folk music for our original dance because Europeans are being held in (Rand's) hometown of Tallinn, Estonia," said an enthusiastic Mallory. "We knew that skating to the folk music of Estonia would gather a great crowd response. Folk dancing and songs are a very important part of Estonian culture, and it will be an exciting experience to share our program with Estonia and the rest of the world."

Israel's Alexandra Zaretski and Roman Zaretski finished fifth in Beijing, and will compete in Lake Placid as well. The duo siblings struggled in the original dance in China, and will have to increase their levels should they hope to improve their standing.

Russians Kristina Gorshkova and Vitali Butikov finished in seventh place in Paris, more than 30 points away from the podium. A top five finish in Lake Placid would be a huge victory for the 2008 Junior Worlds bronze medalists.

Completing the roster will be the French team of Zoe Blanc and Pierre-Loup Bouquet (10th, Trophée Eric Bombard) and China's Xiaoyang Yu and Chen Wang (9th, Cup of China).

Elvin's Picks

LADIES
1. Kim KOR
2. Flatt USA
3. Gilles USA
4. Pöykiö FIN
5. Sebestyen HUN

MEN
1. Lysacek USA
2. Verner CZE
3. Amodio FRA
4. Mroz USA
5. Bradley USA

PAIRS
1. Shen/Zhao CHN
2. Zhang/Zhang CHN
3. Volosozhar/Morozov UKR
4. Duhamel/Buntin CAN
5. McLaughlin/Brubaker USA

DANCE
1. Belbin/Agosto USA
2. Khokhlova/Novitski RUS
3. Cappellini/ Lanotte ITA
4. Navarro/Bommentre USA
5. Zaretski/Zaretski ISR
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 10 Nov 2009, 06:59

cekoni wrote:ISU Grand Prix Skate America 2009

Lake Placid, 12-15.11.2009.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent00011091.htm

Entries

Ladies
No. Name Nation
1 Elena GLEBOVA EST 1
2 Susanna PÖYKIÖ FIN 2
3 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO 3
4 Sarah HECKEN GER 4
5 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 5
6 Fumie SUGURI JPN 6
7 Yu-Na KIM KOR 7
8 Joshi HELGESSON SWE 8
9 Tugba KARADEMIR TUR 9
10 Sasha COHEN USA 10
11 Rachael FLATT USA 10
12 Alexe GILLES USA 10

http://www.universalsports.com/news/art ... te+america

Cohen out of Skate America

Torino silver medalist Sasha Cohen's injured right calf has not fully healed, and the skater -- attempting to make a comeback for the 2010 Olympics -- has withdrawn from Skate America as a result.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- Sasha Cohen's comeback has taken another setback.

The Olympic silver medalist withdrew from Skate America on Monday, saying she is still battling the tendinitis in her right calf that forced her to drop out of last month's Trophee Eric Bompard before the event.

"I have been battling this injury for a while," Cohen said in a release from U.S. Figure Skating. "After meeting with my orthopedic surgeon, it was determined that in order for me to fully recover, I should not compete this week."

As a reigning Olympic medalist, Cohen has a bye into the national championships Jan. 15-23 in Spokane, Wash. Though she said Monday she still hopes to compete there, she now would seem to be a long shot for the Vancouver Games. The Americans have only two spots in Vancouver and a half-dozen contenders for them.

Although Cohen did triple jumps and many competitive moves while touring with Stars on Ice the last two years, she hasn't appeared before judges. Her last competition was the 2006 world championships, where she won a bronze medal.

"I'm very disappointed I won't be able to compete in Lake Placid," Cohen said. "I've been going to physical therapy and training with every intention of being healthy and ready for this competition."

Cohen will be replaced by 2006 Olympian Emily Hughes at Skate America, which begins Friday in Lake Placid, N.Y.

Cohen's withdrawal is a blow for event organizers and U.S. skating.

Though she hasn't skated in three years, Cohen is still hugely popular, and her announcement in May that she was returning for a go at Vancouver gave the struggling Americans some badly needed buzz. The United States has been searching - unsuccessfully - for a breakout star since Cohen and Michelle Kwan stepped away from the sport in 2006.

-------------------------------

Instead of Sasha Cohen, on Skate America will be compete Emily HUGHES, USA

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00006741.htm
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 17 Nov 2009, 07:18

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa09/SEG005.HTM

Pairs - Short Program

1 Xue SHEN / Hongbo ZHAO CHN 74.36 41.40 32.96 8.35 8.00 8.35 8.25 8.25 0.00 #1
2 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV UKR 61.70 35.30 26.40 6.90 6.45 6.65 6.60 6.40 0.00 #7
3 Meagan DUHAMEL / Craig BUNTIN CAN 59.64 33.84 25.80 6.75 6.20 6.50 6.35 6.45 0.00 #6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7GKp9kub0A

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa09/SEG006.HTM

Pairs - Free Skating

1 Xue SHEN / Hongbo ZHAO CHN 127.04 62.20 65.84 8.00 8.20 8.20 8.30 8.45 1.00 #8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLVXh86zWyM
2 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN 111.35 58.47 52.88 6.95 6.55 6.50 6.75 6.30 0.00 #4
3 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV UKR 110.12 56.40 54.72 7.00 6.75 6.95 6.80 6.70 1.00 #7

Pairs - Final Result

1 Xue SHEN / Hongbo ZHAO CHN 201.40 1 1
2 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV UKR 171.82 2 3
3 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN 168.19 5 2
4 Keauna MCLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 165.37 4 4
5 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG USA 148.33 6 5
6 Brooke CASTILE / Benjamin OKOLSKI USA 139.58 7 6
7 Stacey KEMP / David KING GBR 130.80 8 7
WD Meagan DUHAMEL / Craig BUNTIN CAN 3

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa09/index.htm

Ice Dance - Compulsory Dance
Golden Waltz

1 Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO USA 39.28 20.22 19.06 7.65 7.45 7.80 7.65 0.00 #10
2 Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI RUS 36.94 18.96 17.98 7.25 7.05 7.30 7.20 0.00 #9
3 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 32.04 15.90 16.14 6.50 6.30 6.55 6.50 0.00 #7

Ice Dance - Original Dance
Folk / Country Dance

1 Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO USA 60.95 29.90 31.05 8.00 7.90 8.30 8.25 8.40 0.00 #10
2 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 54.09 27.80 26.29 6.80 6.65 7.05 7.00 7.10 0.00 #8
3 Alexandra ZARETSKI / Roman ZARETSKI ISR 51.90 27.00 24.90 6.50 6.50 6.65 6.60 6.55 0.00 #7
4 Kimberly NAVARRO / Brent BOMMENTRE USA 51.28 27.80 23.48 6.15 5.80 6.30 6.15 6.45 0.00 #6
5 Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI RUS 49.53 21.90 27.63 7.20 7.05 7.30 7.50 7.35 0.00 #9

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa09/SEG009.HTM

Ice Dance - Free Dance

1 Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO USA 95.62 46.90 48.72 8.05 7.95 8.30 8.20 8.25 0.00 #10
2 Alexandra ZARETSKI / Roman ZARETSKI ISR 87.94 45.80 42.14 7.00 6.85 7.05 7.15 7.20 0.00 #7
3 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 85.73 43.60 42.13 6.95 6.65 7.25 7.30 7.25 0.00 #8
4 Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI RUS 81.78 37.70 44.08 7.30 7.20 7.40 7.50 7.45 0.00 #9
5 Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN USA 80.49 44.70 35.79 6.05 5.70 6.10 6.10 6.05 0.00 #4
6 Kimberly NAVARRO / Brent BOMMENTRE USA 79.42 42.10 37.32 6.25 5.95 6.40 6.30 6.40 0.00 #6
7 Kristina GORSHKOVA / Vitali BUTIKOV RUS 76.47 41.60 34.87 5.75 5.70 5.90 6.00 5.80 0.00 #5

Ice Dance - Final Result

1 Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO USA 195.85 1 1 1
2 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 171.86 3 2 3
3 Alexandra ZARETSKI / Roman ZARETSKI ISR 171.77 4 3 2
4 Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI RUS 168.25 2 5 4
5 Kimberly NAVARRO / Brent BOMMENTRE USA 160.89 5 4 6
6 Madison CHOCK / Greg ZUERLEIN USA 153.92 7 8 5
7 Kristina GORSHKOVA / Vitali BUTIKOV RUS 152.43 6 6 7

http://twitter.com/LynnRutherford
"Drama in the mixed zone. Anna Cappellini collapsed with joyful tears when she and partner Lanotte gained the silver medal and the GP Final."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa09/SEG003.HTM

Ladies - Short Program

1 Yu-Na KIM KOR 76.28 44.00 32.28 8.05 7.60 8.20 8.20 8.30 0.00 #12
2 Rachael FLATT USA 58.80 33.40 26.40 6.65 6.10 6.75 6.65 6.85 1.00 #11
3 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 58.54 32.10 26.44 6.95 6.15 6.80 6.55 6.60 0.00 #10
4 Fumie SUGURI JPN 56.04 29.28 26.76 6.90 6.35 6.75 6.65 6.80 0.00 #8
5 Elena GLEBOVA EST 52.28 28.80 23.48 5.95 5.50 6.00 5.90 6.00 0.00 #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsmXGzABwdg

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa09/SEG004.HTM

Ladies - Free Skating

1 Rachael FLATT USA 116.11 60.35 55.76 7.00 6.70 7.15 6.95 7.05 0.00 #11
2 Yu-Na KIM KOR 111.70 51.18 61.52 7.80 7.35 7.65 7.90 7.75 1.00 #12
3 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 100.49 47.13 53.36 6.95 6.40 6.90 6.50 6.60 0.00 #10
4 Elena GLEBOVA EST 96.43 48.51 47.92 6.10 5.70 5.95 6.15 6.05 0.00 #8
5 Fumie SUGURI JPN 92.95 40.95 52.00 6.75 6.10 6.55 6.60 6.50 0.00 #9
6 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO 92.01 42.09 49.92 6.35 5.95 6.35 6.35 6.20 0.00 #7
7 Emily HUGHES USA 89.99 43.35 46.64 6.25 5.30 6.05 5.70 5.85 0.00 #2

Ladies - Final Result

1 Yu-Na KIM KOR 187.98 1 2
2 Rachael FLATT USA 174.91 2 1
3 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 159.03 3 3
4 Fumie SUGURI JPN 148.99 4 5
5 Elena GLEBOVA EST 148.71 5 4
6 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO 144.19 6 6
7 Emily HUGHES USA 135.31 11 7
-----------------------------

Men Results ..... here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18&p=2720#p2720
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 17 Nov 2009, 07:40

http://www.championat.ru/other/_skating ... 43493.html

Американские сюрпризы

Skate America наверняка запомнится как самый неожиданный турнир в серии Гран-при этого сезона. И хотя золотые медали достались фаворитам, чьи имена назывались ещё до начала соревнований, без сюрпризов, большей частью неприятных, не обошлось ни в одном из видов.

Для болельщиков российской сборной главным шоком стала итоговая таблица в танцах на льду. Яна Хохлова и Сергей Новицкий не смогли даже подняться на пьедестал – хотя шли вторыми после обязательного танца. В оригинальном Яна допустила грубую ошибку на твиззлах. Но низкими были баллы не только за этот элемент – дорожки шагов судьи оценили лишь на первый и второй уровни, поставив россиян на пятое место в этом виде программы. В общем зачёте Хохлова и Новицкий ещё сохраняли свою позицию, но в произвольном танце оценки снова были низкими – по технике наш дуэт проиграл почти всем остальным участникам! В итоге – лишь 4-е место, а значит, в финале Гран-при российских танцоров впервые за долгое время не будет.

Выиграли (вполне ожидаемо) хозяева - американцы Танит Белбин и Бенджамин Агосто. Кстати, их оценки не были впечатляющими: в заочном споре они уступили второй паре сборной США Мэрил Дэвис и Чарли Уайту. Серебро – у итальянцев Анны Каппеллини и Луки Ланотте, бронза досталась дуэту из Израиля, Александре и Роману Зарецким. Для них это первая медаль на соревнованиях такого уровня.

Ещё одно очевидное золото пополнило копилку американцев после турнира в мужском одиночном катании. Для действующего чемпиона мира Эвана Лайсачека здесь практически не было конкурентов. Равного по силе проката ждали от чемпиона Европы 2008 года Томаша Вернера. Но тот приехал в Лейк-Плэсид простуженным, выступал с температурой и короткую программу завалил напрочь, став лишь 11-м. В произвольной чех стал третьим, а в общем зачёте ему удалось подняться на пятое место. Вообще, соревнования одиночников в этот раз напоминали чехарду - лидеры первого дня на второй превратились в аутсайдеров. Так, шедший третьим после короткой американец Брендон Мроз в итоге оказался лишь восьмым, а француз Флоран Амодио со 2-го места переместился на шестое. А компанию Эвану Лайсачеку на пьедестале составили Шон Сойер и Райан Брэдли.

Словно в противовес мужчинам, у девушек обошлось без подобных кульбитов. Впервые за долгое время удачно сложились обе программы у Юлии Себестьен. В Москве венгерская фигуристка лидировала после короткой, но провалила произвольную. Здесь – смогла собраться на оба проката и в итоге после долгого перерыва снова в числе призёров Гран-при. Серебро Рэйчел Флатт – с золотым отливом. Американка стала для своих болельщиков настоящей героиней дня, сумев обыграть в произвольной легендарную Ю-На Ким. Впрочем, кореянка, скорее, проиграла самой себе, допустив сразу несколько грубых ошибок в прыжках. Такого слабого проката чемпионка мира не показывала уже давно. Удержать первое место Ким позволил гигантский отрыв от соперниц после короткой программы, в которой она установила новый рекорд и с суммой баллов в 76.28 среди одиночников уступила лишь…Эвану Лайсачеку.

Соревнования парников омрачила травма - фигуристка из Канады Меган Дюамель на разминке травмировала ногу. Вместе со своим партнёром Бантином она всё же вышла на лёд, но то, что кататься ей крайне тяжело, было видно с самого начала, а падение с выброса оказалось таким болезненным, что спортсмены были вынуждены остановить прокат и сняться с соревнований. Неудачно сложился этот турнир и для пары из Китая Дан Жан – Хао Жан. На этот раз они не смогли похвастать безупречной техникой, уступив не только соотечественникам Ксю Шень и Хонгбо Жао, но и украинскому дуэту – Татьяне Волосожар и Станиславу Морозову.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 17 Nov 2009, 07:42

http://sportcom.ru/portal/2009/11/16/60356.html

Алёна Леонова - третья среди одиночниц, Юко Кавагути и Александр Смирнов - среди танцевальных дуэтов после пяти этапов Гран-при

Опубликован общий зачёт Гран-при после пяти этапов, прошедших в Париже, Москве, Пекине, Нагано и Лейк-Плэсиде.

В соревнованиях женщин Алёна Леонова идёт на третьем месте, уступая Ю На Ким из Южной Кореи и японке Мики Андо. Также третью позицию занимают в парном катании Юко Кавагути и Александр Смирнов, здесь впереди две китайские пары - Шень Сю / Чжао Хонбо и Пан Цин / Тон Цзян. Мария Мухортова и Максим Траньков занимают восьмое место.

Среди танцевальных дуэтов Яна Хохлова и Сергей Новицкий идут пятыми. Лидируют здесь две американские пары - Мэрил Дэвис / Чарли Уайт и Танит Белбин / Бенжамин Агосто. У мужчин Сергей Воронов идёт восьмым, Евгений Плющенко - десятым, Артём Бородулин - 11-м. Возглавляет таблицу японец Нобунари Ода, приблизился к нему после победы в Лейк-Плэсиде американец Эван Лайсачек.

Гран-при. Общий зачёт после пяти этапов.

Мужчины.
1. Нобунари Ода (Япония) – 30 очков.
2. Эван Лайсачек (США) – 28.
3. Бриан Жубер (Франция) – 24
… 8. Сергей Воронов (Россия) – 16
… 10. Евгений Плющенко (Россия) – 15.
11. Артем Бородулин (Россия) – 14.

Женщины.
1. Ю На Ким (Южная Корея) – 30.
2. Мики Андо (Япония) – 30.
3. Алёна Леонова (Россия) – 24.

Спортивные пары.
1. Шень Сю / Чжао Хонбо (Китай) – 30.
2. Пан Цин / Тон Цзян (Китай) – 30.
3. Юко Кавагути / Александр Смирнов (Россия) – 26
… 8. Мария Мухортова / Максим Траньков (Россия) – 15
… 14. Вера Базарова / Юрий Ларионов (Россия) – 9
… 17. Любовь Илюшечкина / Нодари Майсурадзе (Россия) – 7
… 21. Ксения Красильникова / Константин Безматерных (Россия) – 5.

Танцевальные дуэты.
1. Мэрил Дэвис / Чарли Уайт (США) – 30.
2. Танит Белбин / Бенжамин Агосто (США) – 30.
3. Анна Капеллини / Люка Ланотте (Италия) – 26
… 5. Яна Хохлова / Сергей Новицкий (Россия) – 22
… 8. Екатерина Рублева / Иван Шефер (Россия) – 18
… 15. Екатерина Боброва / Дмитрий Соловьев (Россия) – 9
… 18. Кристина Горшкова / Виталий Бутиков (Россия) – 8.
19. Анастасия Платонова / Александр Грачев (Россия) – 7
… 21. Екатерина Рязанова / Илья Ткаченко (Россия) – 5.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 20 Nov 2009, 10:35

Kitchener ON / CAN 19-22.11.2009

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan09/index.htm

Entries

Men
No. Name Nation
1 Kevin VAN DER PERREN BEL
2 Patrick CHAN CAN
3 Joey RUSSELL CAN
4 Jeremy TEN CAN
5 Michal BREZINA CZE
6 Alban PREAUBERT FRA
7 Samuel CONTESTI ITA
8 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN
9 Denis TEN KAZ
10 Jeremy ABBOTT USA
11 Stephen CARRIERE USA
12 Armin MAHBANOOZADEH USA

Ladies
1 Amelie LACOSTE CAN
2 Cynthia PHANEUF CAN
3 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN
4 Laura LEPISTÖ FIN
5 Sarah HECKEN GER
6 Jenna MCCORKELL GBR
7 Akiko SUZUKI JPN
8 Joshi HELGESSON SWE
9 Alissa CZISNY USA
10 Mirai NAGASU USA
11 Caroline ZHANG USA

Pairs
1 Jessica DUBE / Bryce DAVISON CAN
2 Anabelle LANGLOIS / Cody HAY CAN
3 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN
4 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER
5 Maria MUKHORTOVA / Maxim TRANKOV RUS
6 Ksenia OZEROVA / Alexander ENBERT RUS
7 Caydee DENNEY / Jeremy BARRETT USA
8 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN USA

Ice Dance
1 Andrea CHONG / Guillaume GFELLER CAN
2 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN
3 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN
4 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA
5 Carolina HERMANN / Daniel HERMANN GER
6 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS
7 Madison HUBBELL / Keiffer HUBBELL USA
8 Emily SAMUELSON / Evan BATES USA

------------

Time Schedule
(Local Time, GMT -05:00)

11/20/2009
11:50:00 Pairs Short Program
13:20:00 Ladies Short Program
18:30:00 Ice Dance Compulsory Dance
19:55:00 Men Short Program
11/21/2009
12:00:00 Ice Dance Original Dance
13:30:00 Pairs Free Skating
16:00:00 Men Free Skating
19:00:00 Ladies Free Skating
11/22/2009
12:15:00 Ice Dance Free Dance

---------------------------------------------------

http://m.nbcolympics.com/inf/infomo;jsessi...e=true&sport=FS

Skate Canada: What to expect

The last event of the Grand Prix series comes to Canada this weekend. Skate Canada, in Kitchener, Ontario, will determine who advances to December's Grand Prix Final in Tokyo. It also features the return of Canadian world silver medalist Patrick Chan, redemption opportunities for several skaters, and three American ladies trying to catch up.

So far this season, many of our questions have been answered and beliefs confirmed: South Korean Kim Yu-Na is dominant. Russian Yevgeny Plushenko is perhaps better than he was when he won Olympic gold. The American dance teams are among the best in the world. Here are five questions we expect to be answered this weekend at the Aud Arena.

1. Can Jeremy Abbott and Daisuke Takahashi find their form?
American Abbott and Japan's Takahashi faced each other in the NHK Trophy two weeks ago, both trying to rebound from last-season setbacks - Abbott from a dismal performance at the 2009 World Championships after winning the Grand Prix Final and Takahashi from knee surgery that knocked him out for the entire season. In Japan, they both showed flashes of brilliance - Takahashi with his trademark charm and enthusiasm and Abbott with free-flowing style and easygoing confidence. But they both showed weakness in their jumping: Takahashi had three jumps downgraded and counted two falls in his free skate, while Abbott fell three times, had his quad toe downgraded and popped a triple Axel.

In Canada, each looks to complete the second half of his comeback, and both need to skate two clean programs to reaffirm themselves as among the best in the world. But will Abbott again attempt the quad? It's a historically inconsistent jump for him. And will Takahashi regain control of his quad? He's landed two in the same program (on his way to the highest free skate score in history), but in Japan, he lacked precision on many of his jumps. It's also important to note the gamble here: neither man garnered more than one point on his quad in Japan.

2. How will Joanne Rochette perform under pressure?
Skate Canada will be Rochette's first real test of how well she can handle the expectations that come with being a medal contender in a home Olympics. Rochette has insisted that the extra attention she's received is a positive. "I know that if I do a great performance I will be rewarded for it, so it just takes some pressure away," Rochette says. "I've been able to raise my profile and be seen as a top contender, finally." If she wants to maintain her visibility she'll need to avoid a repeat of her performance at her first Grand Prix event, in China. There, she had a meltdown in the short program, landing just one triple jump and ending up third overall behind two ladies she should be able to beat.

Rochette will face one of them again in Kitchener, Japan's Akiko Suzuki. Suzuki has emerged this season as compatriots Mao Asada, Fumie Suguri and Yukari Nakano have either struggled or underwhelmed. Suzuki's win in China places her on the list of ladies eligible to make the Grand Prix Final. Rochette can - and should - be there, too.

3. Is Patrick Chan ready?
Chan arrives in Kitchener as one of Canada's poster boys for the Vancouver Games, but his season debut has was delayed. Originally scheduled for a Grand Prix event in Moscow, Chan withdrew after tearing a muscle in his left calf. Skate Canada will be his only international competition prior to the Vancouver Games.

4. How will Alissa Czisny, Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu answer the statements made by their teammates?
The American ladies are all jockeying for position heading into the U.S. Nationals and so far, Rachael Flatt and Ashley Wagner have established themselves as the front-runners. Will Czisny be able to capitalize on her track record of competing well at Skate Canada (she won in 2005 and was third in 2008) and get her season back on track? Will Zhang skate with the freedom, enthusiasm and most importantly, speed that would allow her to make an impact in Kitchener? All Nagasu wanted to do after her first event in China was to "go home and practice." She's had three weeks to fix the jumping errors that plagued earlier this season. Has she made the most of this time?

5. Who will make the final?
The top six skaters or teams from each discipline, based on points earned over the course of the series qualify to the Grand Prix Final, held in Tokyo, Dec. 1 and 2.

Barring disaster in Kitchener, the dance teams headed to Tokyo are set, including both American teams (Charlie Davis/Meryl White and Tanith Belbin/Ben Agosto). But for everyone else, nothing is certain until Skate Canada is completed so it's a logical assumption that elite skaters from the Czech Republic to China will be anticipating the results with some level of anxiety.

Of the Americans, Evan Lysacek is a sure bet for Tokyo, but both Johnny Weir and Wagner's fates rest on the blades of others. Weir, currently fourth in the standings, stands to benefit from Patrick Chan's participation in the event. Chan won't make the final because he is only skating in one event, and is poised to "steal" available points from others skaters. If Chan wins, it can only help Weir. There are multiple scenarios surrounding Wagner's inclusion or exclusion from the final, but a 1-2 finish (in either order) by Suzuki and Rochette will preserve her spot.

------------------------------

http://loopaxles.blogspot.com/2009/11/home...grand-prix.html

HomeSense Skate Canada Final Grand Prix Pit Stop

Tomorrow, the Grand Prix Series wraps up in Kitchener, Ontario with HomeSense Skate Canada. This competition will also finalize the line-up for December's Grand Prix Final in Tokyo, Japan.

The Ice Dance competition features reigning World Bronze Medalists Virtue and Moir of Canada. Like every single dance event this season, the favorites (Virtue and Moir) will go virtually unchallenged. We are robbed of a fun battle for silver which would have been a deciding factor in who makes the Grand Prix Final as Faiella and Scali have withdrawn citing injury, so Pechalat and Bourzat of France have a clear road towards silver, and presumably, a clear path to the Grand Prix Final. The bronze medal will be scrapped out between American's Samuelson and Bates and Russians Bobrova and Soloviev. Lithuanians Copley and Stagniunas have also withdrawn. Medal Predictions: (GOLD) Virtue and Moir, (SILVER) Pechalat and Bourzat, (BRONZE) Samuelson and Bates

The men's event, is packed, and gives reigning World Silver Medalist Patrick Chan a chance to finally get his season underway after withdrawing from Rostelecom Cup with a left calf injury. It will be interesting to see if the limited training time effects the Canadian Champ at the event. Looking to rebound from sub-par performances at NHK Trophy are Japan's Daisuke Takahashi and American Jeremy Abbott. Jeremy will need to find consistency and Daisuke will need greater endurance. Endurance will also be a factor for Belgium's Kevin Van der Perren who looked downright winded at the end of his free skate in Russia. Samuel Contesti surprised me by skating fairly well in Beijing, perhaps his Incan-inspired Free Skate will serve him well here. The wild card in the event is Michal Brezina who delighted at NHK in the wake of Takahashi and Abbott's struggles. A solid performance here can put the Czech on the podium and get him to his first Grand Prix Final. Other medal chasers are Kazakstan's Denis Ten, France's Alban Preaubert, and American Stephen Carriere. Medal Predictions: (GOLD) Patrick Chan, (SILVER) Daisuke Takahashi, (BRONZE) Jeremy Abbott

The Pairs event is a repeat of Eric Bompard Trophy with all three medalist from that event competing in Kitchener. Russian's Mukhortova and Trankov will try to repeat their solid performance from Paris that brought them the Gold Medal. Canadian's Dube and Davison will look to improve upon their silver performance from Paris while the reigning World Champions from Germany will look to skate much better. In Paris, Savchenko and Szolkowy had a meltdown in the free skate, only placing fourth in that portion of the competition and almost losing the bronze to American's Inoue and Baldwin. Speaking of American's, Denney and Barrett will get another shot at a medal after a disappointing free skate in Nagano. Canadian's Hay and Langlois also make their Grand Prix debut here in Kitchener. I'm keeping an eye on American's Yankowskas and Coughlin...their dynamic lifts and ability to pull you in their performance might be the recipe for a surprise upset. Medal Predictions: (GOLD) Savchenko and Szolkowy, (SILVER) Mukhortova and Trankov, (BRONZE) Dube and Davison

Two big stories are playing out amongst the women. One, can Joannie Rochette rebound from a rocky performance in Beijing and shine through at home and two, can Akiko Suzuki seize this opportunity to cement as the leading Japanese women currently competing (and, perhaps, nail down a trip to Vancouver). It will be terribly interesting to see how these two skate. This competition is far from predictable and really wide open. American Mirai Nagasu, who won the short program in Beijing, defeating Suzuki and Rochette, is here. For her, the key will be fully rotating her jumps. In Beijing she was charged with multiple downgrades in her free skate. If she can get those jumps around she'll be in the mix for gold. Two other American's are competing in Kitchener. Caroline Zhang will need to improve the expression in her program and Alissa Czisny will need to land jumps. Solid performances from them also put them in the mix. European Champ Laura Lepisto of Finland will need to land the tougher jumps in her program to be in contention, a feat she failed to do in Nagano. Sarah Meier has withdrawn citing injury. Lots of must do's for the women at HomeSense Skate Canada. Medal Predictions: (GOLD) Joannie Rochette, (SILVER) Akiko Suzuki, (BRONZE) Laura Lepisto
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 21 Nov 2009, 12:10

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan09/index.htm

Result Details

Men - Short Program

1 Jeremy ABBOTT USA 79.00 42.60 36.40 7.25 6.95 7.35 7.40 7.45 0.00 #8
2 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN 76.30 39.20 37.10 7.55 6.85 7.50 7.55 7.65 0.00 #7
3 Denis TEN KAZ 75.45 43.60 31.85 6.10 5.95 6.55 6.55 6.70 0.00 #4
4 Alban PREAUBERT FRA 72.30 38.50 33.80 6.50 6.25 6.90 6.90 7.25 0.00 #10
5 Michal BREZINA CZE 71.92 40.02 31.90 6.70 5.90 6.45 6.60 6.25 0.00 #9
6 Patrick CHAN CAN 68.64 31.74 37.90 7.85 7.60 7.25 7.70 7.50 1.00 #11
7 Samuel CONTESTI ITA 67.30 36.60 30.70 6.15 5.75 6.20 6.30 6.30 0.00 #6
8 Armin MAHBANOOZADEH USA 65.30 39.70 26.60 5.70 5.00 5.40 5.30 5.20 1.00 #3
9 Joey RUSSELL CAN 61.82 34.72 27.10 5.60 5.05 5.55 5.40 5.50 0.00 #1
10 Stephen CARRIERE USA 59.40 31.70 28.70 6.20 5.50 5.65 5.80 5.55 1.00 #5
11 Kevin VAN DER PERREN BEL 58.86 29.06 29.80 6.10 5.70 6.00 5.95 6.05 0.00 #12
12 Jeremy TEN CAN 45.14 21.84 25.30 5.50 4.60 4.90 5.15 5.15 2.00 #2

Ladies - Short Program
1 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 70.00 38.40 31.60 7.85 7.50 8.05 8.00 8.10 0.00 #11
2 Alissa CZISNY USA 63.52 36.60 26.92 7.15 6.05 7.05 6.55 6.85 0.00 #7
3 Mirai NAGASU USA 56.34 32.30 24.04 6.35 5.50 6.25 6.05 5.90 0.00 #3
4 Laura LEPISTÖ FIN 55.74 29.14 26.60 6.95 6.20 6.65 6.75 6.70 0.00 #10
5 Cynthia PHANEUF CAN 55.58 31.10 24.48 6.45 5.40 6.40 6.05 6.30 0.00 #2
6 Amelie LACOSTE CAN 55.10 32.70 22.40 5.95 5.15 5.85 5.50 5.55 0.00 #1
7 Caroline ZHANG USA 54.58 31.58 23.00 6.20 5.20 5.85 5.80 5.70 0.00 #9

Pairs - Short Program
1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER 74.16 40.48 33.68 8.15 8.00 8.60 8.70 8.65 0.00 #8
2 Maria MUKHORTOVA / Maxim TRANKOV RUS 65.80 37.12 28.68 7.35 6.95 7.25 7.15 7.15 0.00 #7
3 Jessica DUBE / Bryce DAVISON CAN 57.90 31.14 26.76 6.90 6.30 6.70 6.80 6.75 0.00 #6

Ice Dance - Compulsory Dance (Tango Romantica)
1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN 40.69 20.44 20.25 8.20 7.85 8.05 8.35 0.00 #8
2 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA 35.55 17.56 17.99 7.25 7.00 7.20 7.40 0.00 #6
3 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 32.18 16.68 15.50 6.35 5.95 6.25 6.30 0.00 #4
4 Emily SAMUELSON / Evan BATES USA 31.47 16.12 15.35 6.35 5.95 6.00 6.25 0.00 #7
5 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS 30.09 15.32 14.77 5.95 5.70 5.95 6.10 0.00 #3
cekoni
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Мир фигурного катания || Figure Skating