Press on English about Evgeni after LP

Зимние Олимпийские игры 2010 в Ванкувере || Winter Olympic games 2010 in Vancouver

Re: English Press about Evgeni after LP

Postby masha » 21 Feb 2010, 13:49

cekoni wrote:
http://www.daylife.com/photo/0gNUeT485Pg7A?q=plushenko
Reuters Pictures 1 day ago

Gold medallist Evan Lysacek (R) of the U.S. looks at silver medallist Yevgeny Plushenko of Russia during the medal ceremony after the men's free skating figure skating competition at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics February 18, 2010. Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin climbed into the controversy surrounding Plushenko's surprise defeat in the Olympics figure skating by claiming on Friday that he should have been awarded gold. Picture taken February 18, 2010.

:sh_ок:

Do not even the prime minister of a country can not congratulate his compatriot in a message to him, and says a few words of comfort? Is it forbidden? Is the some of west media used every opportunity to get involved politics in all? :plush43: :ze_le_ny:

I am very unpleasant surprised by the amount of paranoia, according to everything which comes from Russia.... :-(

cekoni это так написали газетёнки. Путин наоборот я так поняла поздравил Женю. И после этого кстати нападки русских медиа на Женю прекратились
masha

Postby anirram » 21 Feb 2010, 14:04

These are opinions from foreign forums:

Lysacek is champion who can't jump !!!!!!! What a­ shame!!! He should take part in the Sunday night show -­ Dancing on Ice.Even there some try to do jumps and­ difficult elements.Figure skating is a sport, not a­ show.I am sick of this corrupt Olimpics, it put me off­ completely I'm going to watch the sunday show­ instead ... Evgeni Plushenko should be the 2010 Olympic­ champion.

I've been following figure skating for many years­ now and I simply feel outraged at the results at the­ Olympics. Plushenko and Weir deserved better. (And I­ was not even a Plushenko fun.)
Even if many say that­ Lysacek skated "cleaner" and Plushenko's­ performance was "shaky" at times...Isn't­ it easy to skate clean if there is not one risky­ elements in your program? Anyone can do a clean­ program, if said program is nothing but a safe­ solution. The very essence of the sport is gone: taking­ risks, holding your breath whether he can do it...­ Anyone who intentionally scores beneath that do not­ deserve gold.
I am not personally against Lysacek, but­ he winning the gold is against everything for which I­ watch figure skating. I am truly sorry for writing­ this, because he must have trained really hard, but­ it's like playing a musical instrument: you play a­ nice, medium-level work flawlessly - they pet you on­ the head, and send you to practice more to be able to­ play the even more virtuoso, challenging ones. ­ Lysacek represent exactly that for me. Plushenko HAD­ the bravado and I WAS biting my nails during his­ performance. During Lysacek, I wondered whenever he­ would show me something out of "elementary­ school".

Dear americans! Russians dont like Lysacek not because­ he is american but because he is worse than others. If­ Tahakashi would do quard I wouldnot write anything coz­ in this case Tahakashi would be the best. But he didnt­ do it so he is obviously weaker than Plushenko. When­ russian pair skaters Smirnov and Kavaguty didnot win­ any medal NOONE said that its unfear. Everybody agreed­ that russian skaters made faults and they are not the­ best. Russians are usually fair and we dont need fault­ medals. If we are not champions we recognize it. But in­ this situation Plushenko is the best in the world. Read­ opinions of professional trainers and sporsmen abroad (­ France,China,Japan) and you will know what the world­ really think of your "champion".

I just want to add that I am neither Russian/European­ nor North American and not even a Plushenko fan (huge­ Lambiel fan, in fact!). But I have been an avid figure­ skating fan since I was a child, and I just want to see­ some integrity in the sport I love. And, it’s not just­ Evan, but Patrick Chan’s placing 4th in the free skate,­ ahead of Takahashi and Weir, really shows how flawed­ judging (or the current scoring system) was. Before­ the Olympics Takahashi reportedly said that he would go­ for a quad no matter what because he would regret it­ for the rest of his life if he won without trying. ­ Unfortunately you CAN win without a quad under the­ current scoring system, but I still believe to be­ really “WORTHY” of an Olympic champion, you need to at­ least try.
anirram

Postby cekoni » 21 Feb 2010, 14:07

masha wrote:cekoni это так написали газетёнки. Путин наоборот я так поняла поздравил Женю. И после этого кстати нападки русских медиа на Женю прекратились

I know that it was the most common letter, which is always sent to the athletes after the competition :mi_ga_et:

... but this is a comment with the picture ... I just do not see, what connection have Putin's letter to Evgeni, with that photo :ne_vi_del: :-(
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 21 Feb 2010, 14:14

anirram wrote:These are opinions from foreign forums:

Thanks anirram :plush45: :plush39: .... give us just link to this forum :mi_ga_et:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 21 Feb 2010, 16:24

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100220 ... 1367/rss48

In the men's competition, it's the importance of the quad -- a difficult, four-rotation jump -- that's stirring the controversy. Plushenko landed one Thursday, while Lysacek was among those who didn't even try.

"Maybe, I think, we need to change the system, because quad is quad," Plushenko said. "If Olympic champion doesn't know how to do jump quad, I don't know. Now it's not men's figure skating. Now it's dancing. That's my point."

The truth is, Plushenko was rewarded for his quad. But Lysacek had higher technical scores, at least in part because he took advantage of the new judging system, earning bonus points for jumps performed in the second half of his program. He also earned more points for his spins and footwork.

"(Plushenko) is absolutely right to say the future of figure skating should be in the quadruple jumps," former Olympic champ and TV analyst Scott Hamilton said Friday on NBC. "You need to raise the levels of competition. The (International Skating Union) needs to think about that. But you know what? It's figure SKATE-ing. It's about skating. And it's about the entire performance.

"And that's one thing that I think has been lost on (the Russians.) You can't do the same performance you did in Torino and expect to win four years later. The sport has evolved. And you're showing up to compete under set rules and guidelines, and if you don't think they apply to you, I think that's a problem."

Lysacek, 24, plans to keep competing for another year, at least. And he left open the possibility he'd be back for the 2014 Olympics, though he joked the host city -- Sochi, Russia -- being enemy territory.

"I don't think they would love to see me there, to be quite honest," Lysacek said. "But if I could somehow get a visa into that country, maybe."

----------------------------------------------

Argh.... they very "evolved" in the meantime :plush44: :kli_ny:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 21 Feb 2010, 23:08

GO THERE AND VOTE !!! :plush1:

:arrow: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/winter-olympics/

(in the bottom of the page) :mi_ga_et:

Who deserved to win figure skating gold?

2788 votes since Fri 19 Feb

Evan Lysacek 30% 845 votes
Yevgeni Plushenko 70% 1943 votes
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 23 Feb 2010, 09:48

http://digitalcitizen.ca/2010/02/19/did ... n-lysacek/
Posted by Digital Citizen on February 19, 2010

Did Evgeni Plushenko’s Mouth Cost Him the Olympic Figure Skating Gold Medal versus Evan Lysacek?

After the men’s figure skating short program, Evgeni Plushenko was in the lead and said something to the extent that the future of men’s figure skating was in the quad, or quadruple jump. The story went through the press as a challenge to all male figure skaters’ manhood if they did not do quads in their programs, as he vowed to be a man among boys. (CTV News, Feb 17 2010)

“Without a quad it’s not men’s figure skating.“
— Evgeni Plushenko, three-time world champion and 2006 Winter Olympics Champion

Well, tonight, in the long program, Evgeni did a very difficult quad-triple combination, and was still beaten by the American Evan Lysacek, who did not do a quad jump.

The difference was Lysacek had a lot of elements piled up in the second half of his program where they had 10% more value. Evgeni and Evan actually had the same “component” score for elements in their program. Shockingly, Lysacek beat Plushenko in the technical component despite Evgeni having piled up points for his quad-triple axle combination. Evgeni had a full minute without jumps to finish up his program. Both skaters were nearly flawless otherwise.

Lysacek finished a point ahead of Plushenko, with Evan getting 257.67 and Evgeni getting 256.36 points.

Scoring systems and all, some of it is still human judgment, and I can’t help but think that if Evgeni had kept his mouth shut, he might have gotten gold. You can’t look at his comment on the future of skating just as an insult just to the skaters like the media did. Who do you think judges the event and truly determines the future of figure skating? Some people seriously need to get over themselves!

All and all, though, what a night of brilliant skating!

Daisuke Takahashi won bronze with a distant 247.23 points, but was the first Japanese man to end up on the men’s figure skating podium at the Olympics.

Patrick Chan of Canada, who I’m not a particular fan of, I must say, finished 5th. Maturity and charisma wise, he was literally a boy among men.

UPDATE:

Canadian Olympic silver medallist and former world champion figure skater Elvis Stojko wrote an article trashing the Olympics’ men figure skating results called "The Night They Killed Figure Skating". It pretty much sums up my sentiments. But who was I to say such a thing? Thanks for setting the record straight, Elvis! You tell them! They had the ultimate showman back on ice and they’re going to drive him away for more pansies to be competing. Some people just can’t get over how insignificant they are, you know? Pity the sport. Evgeni was very diplomatic in defeat at the podium ceremonies, though. A showman to the last moment.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby Cooky » 23 Feb 2010, 09:51

Good article... I too am not a fan of Chan. I like Lysacek more than Chan, at least. Haha...
Cooky

Postby Pascalou » 23 Feb 2010, 10:44

cekoni wrote:
UPDATE:

Canadian Olympic silver medallist and former world champion figure skater Elvis Stojko wrote an article trashing the Olympics’ men figure skating results called "The Night They Killed Figure Skating". It pretty much sums up my sentiments. But who was I to say such a thing? Thanks for setting the record straight, Elvis! You tell them! They had the ultimate showman back on ice and they’re going to drive him away for more pansies to be competing. Some people just can’t get over how insignificant they are, you know? Pity the sport. Evgeni was very diplomatic in defeat at the podium ceremonies, though. A showman to the last moment.

I am Canadian and ,well, Chan is a good skater, not a great one... (Yet!!! Who knows LOL!)

God i love Stojko though... Quads gentlemen! Quads !!! Hello Another Canadian (showing a little chauvinism here LOL!) Kurt Browning was the First one to land one in competition... 24 years ago ... !!!! All Evgeni Plushenko is saying and proving (actually!) is that men figure skating is actually regressing with deserving Lysacek a gold medal... Doesn't take a PhD or a Mensa IQ to see or understand that!

Oh and NO he did not AWARD HIMSELF a platinum medal but Russia did! Damn Canadian press!!!!!!! http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/blogs/postbl ... medal.html (Chauvism eh? )
Pascalou

Postby cekoni » 23 Feb 2010, 11:10

Pascalou wrote:... ,well, Chan is a good skater, not a great one... (Yet!!! Who knows LOL!) )

Maybe... some day, if he "improve behavior"... ::yaz-yk:

Pascalou wrote:...Oh and NO he did not AWARD HIMSELF a platinum medal but Russia did! Damn Canadian press!!!!!!! http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/blogs/postbl ... medal.html (Chauvism eh? )

Fool :plush43: ... in the title says one, in the text ohter... :ze_le_ny:

-------------------------

Anyway :ne_vi_del: ... I do not know, why they are so much more engaged with Evgeni, if Lyacek so "deservedly earned" the gold? :ze_le_ny: ... guilty of conscience, maybe? :ps_ih:
cekoni
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Ванкувер 2010 || Vancouver 2010