Press on English about Evgeni after LP

Зимние Олимпийские игры 2010 в Ванкувере || Winter Olympic games 2010 in Vancouver

Re: English Press about Evgeni after LP

Postby Cooky » 23 Feb 2010, 11:16

Despite how frustrating the North American press are being, it's funny to see the Canadian media completely gloss over their fuss in 2002...
Cooky

Postby AnyaNikolaievna » 23 Feb 2010, 11:29

Stand up for Zhenya!

I know it's an odd place but we're discussing Zhenya over at another forum and I thought I would provide you with links where we could voice our support for Zhenya.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517514/board/threads/

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000055/threads/

My name on this forum is anya_angie if you want to look for me. You'll notice in the first link I posted some threads in support of Zhenya in light of the American media treating him badly.
"Show what you are capable of!" -- Evgeni Plushenko

"Was there ever a man who loved, who loved not at first sight?" -- Christopher Marlowe
AnyaNikolaievna

Postby cekoni » 23 Feb 2010, 14:45

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/taryn-one ... 68853.html
Taryn O'Neill (Former Canadian national medalist in ice dancing) Posted: February 20, 2010 10:23 AM

The Pros And Cons Of The New Men's Figure Skating Scoring

By this time, I'm sure you have heard that Evan Lysacek won the Men's Figure Skating event Thursday night. Yay Evan! It was a dramatic win and came down to one single point. So instead of rehashing it, I thought of the two things that struck me the most. First, I am so happy that Evan Lysacek won. And second, I don't think this new judging system is working properly.

Don't those two statements seem contradictory? Evan wouldn't have won under the old system as technically, Russian Evgeni Plushenko skated clean and landed the harder jump: the quadruple toe, triple toe loop. Evan skated clean as well but had no quad. It was the strength of his program as a whole - the speed, intricacy and the difficulty of his connecting steps, his spins, footwork and interpretation of the music - that allowed him to squeak out a win over the powerhouse Russian. Under the new system, everything has a point value and a difficult level and luckily for Evan, Evgeni didn't perform his jumps to his normal level: most of his jumps were off axis and that made for weak landings, which I assume lost him a few points, allowing Evan's other strengths to put him over the top.

So why my criticsm of the new scoring system? Because it doesn't support the very esssence of competition. Now don't get me wrong, I love that the new scoring system rewards quality skating: finally edges, footwork, speed, difficulty of movement, interpretation are properly rewarded through a quantative formula, not just the whim of a judge awarding a 5.9 because the skater looked dramatic. But what this system fails to recognize, is the value of the clean program under the pressure of Olympic competition. I'm going to say this and you can disagree, but Johnny Weir should have beat Patrick Chan. Patrick is a beautiful skater, his program is phenomenal, there are barely two regular crossovers that he uses to cover the ice. I've watched his long program three times now tonight so believe me I do see his abundant qualities. But, Patrick made two glaring errors in his program, both big jumps, and Johnny made none (save for tapping out of one of his spins.)

This is competition and the guy who is in the final flight of skaters, delivers a difficult and artistic program, and stands up on his jumps should be ahead of the guy who doesn't. Otherwise what's the point? If you knew that your program had a points value and no matter what you did you wouldn't beat the other guy, even if he fell, why would you compete? I just feel that there has to be a happy medium; the quality of the program and the skater has to be valued, but the ability to deliver on the big goods, on the day, has to count for a lot more.

If a snowborder falls on a trick, he's out. Skating will and should be a little more complicated than that but, Johnny you deserved better.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 23 Feb 2010, 15:30

As some media increasingly "wrong" (false) quoted Plushy's from press conference after LP :plush24: ... and to claim, that he did not made an "honorary circle" after award medals .... here are a few facts... :plush34:

... video from Medals award:
http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f= ... 6faf6d9cd0

.. and from presss conference - official site of Olympic Games :a_g_a:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-ne ... 086dZ.html
Feb 19, 2010

Figure Skating: Defeated Plushenko ponders future

Vancouver (AFP) - Dethroned Olympic men's figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko vowed Thursday that he would not take the loss of his title lying down even though question marks remain over his future.

The 27-year-old was ousted by American Evan Lysacek who claimed gold with a flawless but less challenging technical programme.

"I knew that I would accept any result but after this defeat I'm not going to put down my hands and stop," said Plushenko.

The Russian returned to competition this season after retiring for three years following his Olympic success in 2006.

He wanted to defend his Olympic title and also to show that the sport needed the quadruple jump after the last two world championships were won without one.

But he lost his title to reigning world champion Lysacek who once again won without even attempting the difficult four-rotation jump.

In an interview with Russian media, Plushenko slammed the judges and threatened to quit.

"I am not prepared to skate well and lose," Plushenko complained to the state-owned news agency RIA-Novosti. "This is men's figure skating - not ice dancing."

Plushenko added that he had not ruled out quitting.

"I see myself in figure skating, but this may be my last competition," ITAR-TASS news agency quoted him as saying.

Skating last, Plushenko gave a dramatic performance to Tango Amore by Edvin Marton, making a number one sign with his fingers after finishing his routine.
The performance was not perfect, but he thought it was enough. He dropped the double loop ending on his opening quadruple-triple toeloop combination, and nailed six triples although he was shaky on the landings of his triple axel and lutz, getting a level three for one spin.

Lysacek, 24, landed eight triples including an opening triple-triple combination and two axels to score 167.37 for the free skate and 257.67 overall, finishing 1.31 points ahead of the Russian overall. Lysacek also edged Plushenko on the technical side by 1.86. They both scored 82.60 for programme components or artistry.

But Plushenko insisted he would have won under the old system which rewarded jumps more highly with the new method which places the emphasis just as much on steps, footwork and spirals.

"Of course, I'm not happy with the result," he said. "I was sure that I had won my second Olympic Games. But this is the new system, the quad is not valued anymore.

"I thought it was enough and it should have been enough. Apparently this is what figure skating needs today."

He said: "As I said, I'd accept any result and silver is great, but nevertheless it was a defeat today."

But Plushenko refused to be drawn into a war of words.

"First and foremost I respect my competitors. I'm a simple figure skater I just do my job," he said.

Of the future of the quad, he said: "Overall my basic position and attitude is that movement needs to go forward and never stop and never go back."

"I think people need to do lots of quads."

cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 23 Feb 2010, 15:37

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/conte ... em,00.html
19 Feb 2010 04:24

Olympic Figure Skating - Men's event

The figure skating competition at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games continued in Vancouver, Canada, on Thursday with the Men’s Free Skating. 11, 689 tickets were sold for the event at the Pacific Coliseum.

Evan Lysacek (USA) skates to gold

Evan Lysacek (USA) skated to Gold in a nerve-racking Men’s Free Skating, upsetting defending Olympic Champion Evgeni Plushenko of Russia and becoming the first US man to take Olympic Gold since Brian Boitano in 1988. Daisuke Takahashi claimed the bronze, the first Olympic medal in Men’s Figure Skating for Japan.

Skating first in the last group, Lysacek knew that he had no room for error and reeled off eight triples, including two Axels, in his routine to “Sheherazade”. Lysacek pumped his fist during his final spin and the crowd rose to their feet. The reigning World Champion scored a personal best of 167.37 points (84.57 element score/82.80 program component score) and accumulated 257.67 points overall. He edged out Plushenko by just 1.31 points. “That’s my best free program this season. To do your best when it counts most. I tried not to get too excited after each jump”, Lysacek commented. “I probably knew it was my best skate ever. It was not just one section of the program that was strong, but it was strong from start to finish and I guess that was the key tonight.”

Plushenko, who skated last, gave a dramatic performance of his “Tango Amore” routine, nailing a quad-triple toeloop combination and six triple jumps, but one spin got a level three and he was a little shaky on two jumps. The crowd gave him a standing ovation as well and the Russian raised his arms in triumph as he finished. The 27-year-old earned 165.51 points (82.71/82.80) and slipped to second at 256.36 points.
Plushenko added a third Olympic medal to his gold from 2006 and his silver from 2002. Only one man has won more medals Olympic Figure Skating – Gilles Grafström of Sweden took three gold and one silver from 1920 to 1932.
“I was sure that I had won my second Olympic Games”, Plushenko admitted. “I thought it was enough and it should have been enough. As I said earlier, I’d accept any result and silver is great, but nevertheless it was a defeat today”, he continued.

Takahashi risked everything, went for the quad toe but missed. Unfazed, the Japanese nailed seven clean triples after that and entertained the crowd with his detailed choreography to “La Strada”. Takahashi picked up a seasons best score of 156.98 points and was ranked fifth in the Free Skating, but held on to third place at 247.23 points. “When I knew that I had won a bronze medal, I was so emotional. I was in tears”, Takashi said. “There were parts of my program that weren’t perfect, including the quad. But to finish where I am in the Olympic Games feels so good”, Takahashi went on. “I was injured a year ago and couldn’t skate. I never thought that I would recover well enough to be back here on the Olympic stage”, he added, referring to his knee injury that sidelined him the past season.

2006 Olympic silver medalist Stéphane Lambiel (SUI) looked tentative in his “La Traviata” program and touched down with his hand on his opening quadruple toeloop. He also two-footed the second quad toe, but moved up one spot to fourth with 246.72 points, less than one point behind Takahashi.

Reigning World silver medalist Patrick Chan (CAN) landed six clean triple jumps, but fell on a triple Axel to place fifth in his Olympic debut. Johnny Weir (USA) put out a clean program that included eight triple jumps. He remained in sixth place with a total of 238.87 points. Nobunari Oda (JPN) had to interrupt his performance as the laces of his right skating boot had broken. He was ranked seventh (238.54 points). 2007 World Champion Brian Joubert (FRA) was unable to recover from his sub-par performance in the Short Program and finished a distant 16th.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 23 Feb 2010, 15:41

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/20 ... -gold.html
February 19, 2010

Russia reacts: Plushenko robbed of gold medal

MOSCOW -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin sent a telegram of encouragement to Evgeny Plushenko on Friday.

"Your 'silver' is as good as 'the gold,'" Putin's telegram published on his official Web site read. "You managed to overcome all difficulties and stumbling blocks; you committed a brave, a resolute act by returning to the big sports with splendor and showing a most complicated program on the ice of Vancouver."

Earlier in the day, Sergei Mironov, the chairman of the Russian parliament's upper house, implied the refereeing in Vancouver men's ice skating was biased.

"If we pass it over in silence we will forever remain in the backyard," Mironov said in an interview with Russian radio station Vesti FM. "We need to put the question bluntly why there was such refereeing.... We need to get to the bottom of it."

Plushenko himself even questioned the judging, saying he was the only leading competitor to land a quadruple jump, and therefore should have secured first place.

"When a person performs a quadruple jump, which is contested by a triple, and (both contenders) gain the same points, it raises questions," he said.

Tatiana Tarasova, a noted Russian ice skating coach who has said she helped to train gold medalist Evan Lysacek last year, complained in an interview to Vesti FM radio station that the high evaluation of the components of Lysacek's program in Vancouver was "simply hooliganism," adding that in Plushenko's gold medal "was taken away from him."

Plushenko said in a video interview to Sovetsky Sport, a popular Russian sports daily: "Lysacek skated the way they skated 20 years ago."

"I can explain why it happened the way it did," he added. "Figure skating in America is dying. Business in figure skating is dying. And naturally they need new names."

The web in Russia was boiling with indignation over the skating decision. The story published on the Russian sports daily Sovetsky Sport Web site headlined "The judges took away Plushenko's Olympic gold" drew hundreds of infuriated comments by Russian readers, many of them tinged with anger at the United States...
cekoni
Administrator

Postby Pascalou » 23 Feb 2010, 22:01

Cooky wrote:Despite how frustrating the North American press are being, it's funny to see the Canadian media completely gloss over their fuss in 2002...

Not all but i totally agree with you!!! I even reminded many of my co workers yesterday and they agreed with me. Although i did made a tiny difference though, remember that the situation isn't the same. Back in 2002 there was a scandal of French judges paying the Russian judges so that both French and Russians skaters win. French judges even made Jail sentence and both French and Russian judges were banned from the Figure skating Association. Gold was given to Sale/Pelletier. Gold medal was left to Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze it wouldn't have been fair to remove it as it wasn,t the athletes fault!

here we a have a literally a lack in the judging system that does not calculate quads as genuine mandatory and higher pointed jumps. At least not enough to make a difference. And that good ol' Canadian Elvis Stojko is making himself some enemies in Canada because he totally defends what Evgeni has been saying from the start.

American and Canadian press is by passing what Evgeni said and are turning it against him (as media always does! ) and making him seen as a bad looser when all he said after all was that quads are higher in difficulty and should be rewarded correctly. If it would have been so, he would have won the Gold. No more no less. That's it... Media jumped and interpreted.
:is_te_ri_ka:
Pascalou

Postby Pascalou » 23 Feb 2010, 22:06

I m giving another try at the CTV interview. Here is the link for a little article but there is a link to the video interview! hope you,ll be able to see it! :-): It's really a cute interview! :-):
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=47863.html
Pascalou

Postby cekoni » 24 Feb 2010, 23:09

Pascalou wrote:I m giving another try at the CTV interview. Here is the link for a little article but there is a link to the video interview! hope you,ll be able to see it! :-): It's really a cute interview! :-):
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=47863.html

Too bad, he can see only in Canada... like and videos from NBC :plush35:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 24 Feb 2010, 23:11

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0022304673.html)
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... enko_N.htm
By NANCY ARMOUR The Associated Press Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Agent: Plushenko isn't creating new Olympic medals

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Evgeni Plushenko isn't awarding himself a new medal. Or creating one, for that matter.

Reports Tuesday said a picture of the Olympic silver medalist's latest prize was labeled "platinum of Vancouver" on Plushenko's official Web site. His medal from the Salt Lake City Games was properly identified as silver. But agent Ari Zakarian said no one had authority to do this "stupid thing," and Plushenko himself was not aware of it.

There were no labels beneath the pictures of Plushenko's three Olympic medals as of Tuesday afternoon. The Russian also has a gold from the Turin Olympics.

"It's absolutely a mistake. Evgeni has absolutely no idea about this. Absolutely no idea," Zakarian said. "Nobody from our team is awarding a platinum medal."

Plushenko, coach Alexei Mishin and even a few Russian politicians were furious with the results of the men's competition. Plushenko, the heavy favorite, finished second to American Evan Lysacek despite being the only top contender to land a clean quadruple jump.

"Quad is quad. If the Olympic champion doesn't know how to jump the quad, I don't know," Plushenko said afterward. "Now it's not men's figure skating, it's dancing. That's my point."

But the overall quality of Lysacek's program was better, and the reigning world champion got bonus points for doing five of his eight jumping passes in the second half of the program.

The drama has hurt Plushenko's reputation, with critics saying it's in poor taste and the three-time world champion should be letting Lysacek enjoy his moment.

Plushenko just wants to move on, Zakarian said, and incidents like Tuesday don't help.

"Of course he's sad. He wanted to do his best," Zakarian said. "But it's past, it's done and he's looking forward to the next competition. This is history. It's over."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=4939878
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... enko_N.htm
cekoni
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Ванкувер 2010 || Vancouver 2010