English newspaper texts about Plushy

Любим! Надеемся! Верим!
We love you! We believe in you!

Re: English newspaper texts about Plushy

Postby cekoni » 04 Feb 2010, 06:55

dimi wrote:SPorts Illustrated, the biggest sport magazine in America picks the medalists in Vancouver

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Men

• Evgeni Plushenko, Russia

• Patrick Chan, Canada

• Evan Lysacek, U.S.

... and: "Turin gold medalist Plushenko is back after a three-year retirement." :plush46: plush48

And I imagined something like that - the first place by merit, the second and third by "political influence" :hi_hi_hi:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 05 Feb 2010, 07:00

:plush17:

All news related to the Olympics, from now can be found in subforum dedicated to Olympics:

viewforum.php?f=13
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 09 Feb 2010, 01:20

More texts about European Championships 2010 :plush45:
------------------------------------------------

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=9613461
By Sonia Oxley January 20, 2010

You Ain't Seen Nothing yet, Says Plushenko

TALLINN (Reuters) - The record score, perfect jumps and the unmistakable long blonde hair meant one thing on Wednesday -- Yevgeny Plushenko was back in business and this was just the start.

"I can skate better, believe me, I can skate better," he told reporters after scoring a record 91.30 points in his short program at the European figure skating championships on his return to major competition after a nearly four-year break.

The Russian has come back to the sport to defend his Olympic title, aiming to become the first male skater in more than half a century to achieve the feat at February's Vancouver Games.

American Richard Button was the last man to do so, triumphing at the 1948 and 1952 Games.

When Plushenko's nearest rival Brian Joubert dared to say he thought the Russian was beatable ahead of Thursday's free skate, the three-times world champion had two words for him: "Try it!"

The Frenchman, defending his title in Tallinn, said he had been impressed by Plushenko but had not crumbled the way he did after watching him at the last Olympics.

"I watched his program in my hotel room on TV. It was actually the same situation as in 2006 -- he skated early and I watched in my room but I got very nervous then and now I coped with my nerves," Joubert told a news conference.

"When I saw the score I thought it's going to be difficult to beat him but it was possible."

Plushenko had also been watching his rivals, giving Joubert and third-placed Yannick Ponsero a nod and a "Good job, good job" at the news conference.

The Russian has spent much of his time since the Turin Games in exhibition shows and even made a cameo skating appearance at the 2008 Eurovision Song Contest but does not seem to have lost any of his competitiveness.

He was one of the few skaters to manage the high-scoring quadruple toeloop-triple toeloop combination on Wednesday, and also nailed his triple axel and triple lutz. He said he wobbled on a combination spin but judges made no deductions.

"I'm so happy with my performance today but of course I'm not going to fly to the moon because tomorrow is going to be a big fight," said Plushenko, who ended his routine by blowing a kiss.

"The important competition is going to be in February."

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.examiner.com/x-20118-Figure- ... cord-short
January 20, Figure Skating Examiner, Jackie Wong

Plushenko starts Europeans off with world record short

Chasing his sixth career European Championship title, Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko was near perfect in his short program to lead the field of 37 men in Tallinn, Estonia. With such a large field, the short program also served as a qualifying round, with the top 20 men in the standings qualifying to skate in the free skate tomorrow.

In his much anticipated return to competition this season, Plushenko has not competed off Russian soil until today. He showed no rust, skating his best short program of the season so far and breaking his own world record score in the process. With his trademark quad toe-triple toe combination, he racked up a score of 91.30, almost a point higher than the world record that he set at the 2006 Olympics....

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.examiner.com/x-20118-Figure- ... 006-podium
January 21, Figure Skating Examiner, Jackie Wong

Plushenko wins Euros in repeat of 2006 podium

Evgeni Plushenko captures his sixth title at the European Championships. Photo: AP/Ivan Sekretarev

There was a little déjà vu in the men’s event at the 2010 European Figure Skating Championships today when the three men atop the final standings, led by reigning Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko, were the same three men who stood on the podium four years ago at the same competition.

After a world record short program, Plushenko followed it up today with an equally impressive free skate that featured a quad toe and six clean triples. His only visible mistake was a doubled triple lutz. With a free skate score of 164.09, he won the competition by over 16 points, which bodes well for his chances at a repeat gold in Vancouver. Incidentally, the last time Plushenko competed at Europeans was in 2006, right before his triumph in Torino.

Reigning Olympic silver medalist Stephane Lambiel made his intentions for another Olympic medal known with a solid free skate that pulled him up from fifth to second with a total score of 238.54. Skating a brand new free skate, he brought his quads and his trademark spins to dazzle the audience. He is still missing his triple axel, which will mean that the three quads in his two programs will be crucial for his medal chances next month.

Second after the short, 2007 World champion Brian Joubert had a few errors in his free skate and dropped to the bronze medal position. Nevertheless, his performances this week in Tallinn bode well for his recovery from surgery last month after a freak practice accident. He finished just over two points behind Lambiel....

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.examiner.com/x-20118-Figure- ... mpionships
February 7, Figure Skating Examiner, Jackie Wong

Opining on the European Championships

A few thoughts on the European Championships last month as we move toward the Olympics this coming week.

The European men's podium could very well be the Olympic podium. :co_ol: :plush47: plush48
The three medalists at Europeans, Evgeni Plushenko, Stephane Lambiel, and Brian Joubert, could very well be at the top again in Vancouver. But interestingly enough, the men's field will be so deep at the Olympics that it is even possible that none of them end up on the podium. It will likely take two clean performances to just win a medal for the men.
cekoni
Administrator

Re: Press on English about Evgeni after LP

Postby Doll » 18 Mar 2010, 22:31

Not sure if this has been posted:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skatin ... 55534.html
AFPPosted Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:52 PM ET

Plushenko to bid for fourth world title in Turin

MOSCOW - Evgeni Plushenko will bid for a fourth world title at the world figure skating championships in Turin next week, the Russian skating federation confirmed on Thursday.

Plushenko, who lost his Olympic crown to American Evan Lysacek in Vancouver last month, will try to recapture the title he last won six years ago.

The 27-year-old Russian won the world title in 2001, 2003 and 2004.
He retired after taking the Olympic crown in Turin in 2006 but returned to competition last year in a bid to defend that title. He took silver in Vancouver behind Lysacek, who will not be competing in Italy.

In the women's event, Russia are not among the podium favourites with Alena Leonova and Ksenia Makarova ninth and tenth respectively in Vancouver.

Olympic bronze medallists Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin will not be competing in ice dancing at the Palavela from March 23-27 with the top Russians Jana Khokhlova and Sergei Novitski, who finished ninth in Vancouver.

European pairs champions Yuko Kavaguchi and Alexander Smirnov will be looking to do better than their bronze last year.

Pride will be at stake for Russia in Turin after the once-powerful figure skating team returned home for the first time in 50 years without an Olympic gold medal.

:plush42: :-) ;;-)))

Oh! By the way, Mr. Lysacek will be on "Dancing With The Stars"! Ha Ha!!! :plush44:
I remember what Plushy said about the Olympic judging system should be based on "dancing" since they score it the way it is now. Also, what Mishin said about making it "unisex" since they don't base it on power/quads. Interesting isn't it? :du_el:
Doll

Postby cekoni » 19 Mar 2010, 23:39

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6 ... um=twitter
MILAN Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:09pm EDT

Yevgeny Plushenko pulls out of world skating championships

MILAN (Reuters) - Olympic silver medalist Yevgeny Plushenko has pulled out of next week's figure skating world championships because of injury.

"We've received a mail, he is injured. He will not compete," a spokeswoman for the Turin organizers said on Friday, adding the Russian may come to the event to watch.

Plushenko was examined in St Petersburg and told he should not perform strenuous exercise for at least two weeks because of trouble with his knees, president of the Russian skating federation Valentin Piseyev told local media.

"Unfortunately he will not be able to compete in Turin. His physical condition will not allow him to perform at his highest level," Piseyev said.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 21 Mar 2010, 12:36

Similar text...

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/spor ... cle/990882
The Associated Press - Saturday March 20th, 2010

Plushenko withdraws from worlds

MOSCOW - Olympic silver medallist Evgeni Plushenko will skip the world figure skating championships in Italy after experiencing pain while landing a quadruple jump.

Plushenko's agent Ari Zakarian confirmed Friday the gold medallist at the 2006 Games in Turin has withdrawn from next week's world event at the same arena. Plushenko also has a silver medal from the 2002 Olympics.

"He is in perfect condition," Zakarian said Friday, "but yesterday in practice he had 54 jumps :sh_ок: and he started getting pain on the quad toe. So doctors advised him to rest for two weeks.

"He does not want to compete without the quad."

Plushenko, 27, is a three-time world gold medallist (2001, 2003 and 2004). He retired after the Turin Olympics and came back this season, winning each of his competitions until finishing second in Vancouver behind American Evan Lysacek, who also is skipping worlds.

Sergei Voronov will replace Plushenko.

Earlier this month, Plushenko said he planned to skate at the 2014 Sochi Games in his native Russia.

Many Russians (... and not only they ::yaz-yk: ) felt Plushenko deserved to win the Vancouver gold medal, but his free skate was flawed, marred by several sloppy jumps (... says who? :za_da_va_la: ) and including enough weak elements (... "waek" as combo 4-3? :hi_hi_hi:) that he lost the technical mark to Lysacek. Plushenko usually dominates that category.

He loudly complained that Lysacek did not do any quadruple jumps - Plushenko did one in the short program and two in the free skate. (... do not exaggerate ;;-))) ) Plushenko also compared men's skating to ice dance at the Olympics.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby Doll » 21 Mar 2010, 19:15

Many Russians (..and not only they ) felt Plushenko deserved to win the Vancouver gold medal, but his free skate was flawed, marred by several sloppy jumps (... says who? ) and including enough weak elements (... "waek" as combo 4-3 ) ) that he lost the technical mark to Lysacek. Plushenko usually dominates that category.

He loudly complained that Lysacek did not do any quadruple jumps - Plushenko did one in the short program and two in the free skate. (... do not overdo it ) Plushenko also compared men's skating to ice dance at the Olympics.

Exactly! "ice dance"! I remembered him saying that!

I am sad to hear about his withdrawing, but needs to heal.
:plush45:
Doll

Postby aysu » 21 Mar 2010, 23:07

Doll wrote:
Plushenko also compared men's skating to ice dance at the Olympics.

Exactly! "ice dance"! I remembered him saying that!

I am sad to hear about his withdrawing, but needs to heal.
:plush45:

He compared to ice dancing, but only the "transition" part of the ice-dancing.He is being polite. He didn't mean the graceful,elegant ice-dancing with impressive choreographies. In that sense there is nothing in Evan Lysacek.
Only the turnings to both directions between the jumps..
That footwork is very important to ice-dancers,because they don't have jumps.The couples have to be coordinated,etc,etc, that transitions never make someone "artistic", only makes them mechanic..
Only the genius ones like Evgeni can add his soul,and can turn the transitions to work of an art.
aysu

Postby cekoni » 23 Mar 2010, 06:51

http://www.reuters.com/article/idINIndia-47123120100322
Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:19pm, By Gennady Fyodorov

Plushenko to undergo another knee surgery

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Yevgeny Plushenko, the 2006 Olympic champion, will undergo another knee surgery to overcome his latest injury setback and plans to return to competitive figure skating fully fit next season.

The Russian was forced to pull out of this week's world championships in Turin, citing pain in his right knee.

"I think I just aggravated an old injury," Plushenko, who won a silver in the Vancouver Games last month, told Reuters after returning from Italy on Monday.

"Soon after the Vancouver Olympics I started training again. I wanted to add a second quad in my programme and I think that put too much pressure on the knee," said the 27-year-old, who had surgery on the same knee in 2007.

"I was examined in St Petersburg and the doctor advised me not perform strenuous exercise for at least two weeks. That's why I couldn't compete in Turin. It's the world championships and you only want to skate there if you 100 percent fit."

Nevertheless, Plushenko said he would take part in several exhibition shows over the next few weeks.

"In exhibitions I don't need to do a quad. I can do a triple Axel without putting extra pressure on my knees. Then, sometime in May or June I plan to have (another) surgery on my right knee but I'm optimistic I'll be 100 percent ready next season."

VANCOUVER DISAPPOINTMENT

Plushenko said he had overcome his Vancouver disappointment and confirmed his desire to compete on home ice at the 2014 Sochi Games.

"I've already written it (Sochi) in my plans. As for Vancouver it's in the past, and I want to look to the future."

The 2006 Olympic champion stirred controversy in Vancouver after being edged out by American Evan Lysacek for the title.

Plushenko heavily criticised the judges for marking him down in the short programme, when he was the only skater to land a quadruple jump cleanly, and on Monday he reiterated his belief that Lysacek was not the "real" Olympic champion.

"Every single person, who understands figure skating and is unbiased, knows who the real champion was," he said on Monday.

"But life goes on and I'm not going to kill myself for what had happened in Vancouver."

"I've said many times that my only competition is myself."
cekoni
Administrator

Postby Doll » 23 Mar 2010, 07:06

"I've already written it (Sochi) in my plans. As for Vancouver it's in the past, and I want to look to the future."

EXACTLY! I do hope he will compete in Sochi. :plush47:
Doll

PreviousNext

Return to Всё о Жене || Everything about Evgeni