English newspaper texts about Plushy

Любим! Надеемся! Верим!
We love you! We believe in you!

Re: English newspaper texts about Plushy

Postby cekoni » 30 Oct 2009, 11:00

http://www.cbssports.com/worldsports/story/12405580
Oct. 22, 2009 CBSSports.com wire reports

Former champion figure skater Plushenko returns to competition

MOSCOW -- With Olympic gold and silver and world championships medals in his résumé, Evgeni Plushenko has everything a figure skater could want. Yet he's coming back for more.

Plushenko begins his comeback at this week's Rostelecom Cup, the second event on the Grand Prix circuit. Down the road, he has his sights set on the Vancouver Olympics.

Plushenko's short program Friday will be his first appearance at an international competition since winning Olympic gold in 2006 at the Turin Games.

After Turin, there were no more major titles left for him to win, and he had issues with his knee. But when the next generation of Russian skaters proved underwhelming, Plushenko came out of retirement and began rigorous training, including dropping 20 pounds he had packed on, according to coach Alexei Mishin.

At a Russian competition in Perm this month, Plushenko was characteristically clean and stylish. But he tripled his planned quadruple jump, and doubts remain about whether he has regained enough athleticism to mount a serious defense of his gold in Vancouver....

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.in.com/news/sports/plushenko-le...3-115243-1.html
Friday October 23, 2009

Plushenko leads after Rostelecom short program

MOSCOW (AP) -- Evgeni Plushenko began his comeback attempt with characteristic skill and boldness at the Rostelecom Cup, landing a clean quad-triple combination Friday.

But a few second later, Plushenko showed that he's still short of the discipline that made him the Olympic champion, losing focus and doubling a planned triple lutz.

"I got a little relaxed, I felt like I had done everything" after the opening jumps, Plushenko admitted.

The lapse hardly mattered. Plushenko won the short program, finishing well ahead of his challengers in his first international competition since winning the gold medal at the Turin Olympics.

Julia Sebestyen of Hungary prevailed in a tight women's field, where the top three finishers are separated by less than a point. In the pairs competition, former world champions Pang Qing and Tong Jian opened a solid lead over Russia's Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov and Americans Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker.

Plushenko finished with 82.25 points, almost seven ahead of Japan's Takahiko Kozuka going into Friday's free skate.

Kozuka didn't try a quad in his speedy, stylish and loud program to the feedback-drenched guitar music of Jimi Hendrix. But his landings were as precise as Plushenko's and the calculated audacity of his music choice underlined how the once-punky Plushenko has become, at 26, almost a sedate elder.

After finishing second at the Salt Lake City Games, Plushenko dominated figure skating for the next four years. He won two more world titles -- he has three total -- and claimed the top spot at every competition he entered in the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons.

With no more titles left to win after taking the gold in Turin, Plushenko stepped away from skating. He decided last year to return.

"Somebody had asked me why I was coming back because I already had everything. I have money, I am famous ... maybe I keep wanting to think I am very young," Plushenko said....

--------------------------------------------------

http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/200...nd-prix-return/
By Joanne C. Gerstner

Plushenko Makes Splash in Grand Prix Return

Russia's Evgeni Plushenko performs his short program at the Cup of Russia in a spashy return to Grand Prix figure skating last Friday. Ivan Sekretarev/Associated Press Russia’s Evgeni Plushenko performs his short program at the Cup of Russia in a spashy return to Grand Prix figure skating last Friday.

Leave it to 2006 Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko to make a dramatic entrance. Plushenko, who stopped competing after the Turin Games, won the Rostelecom Cup (aka Cup of Russia) in Moscow Saturday.

He delivered an emphatic message in his first competition back, which will be his only Grand Prix event of the season, showing he could be a significant factor in Vancouver. Plushenko’s trademark jumping ability was clearly intact. He is still explosive in the air and impressively strong on the clean landings. He landed one quad, and combined it with a triple toe loop to open his free skate to dramatic tango music.

Plushenko, 26, has led an interesting life since Turin. He helped the Russian Olympic Committee successfully bid for the 2014 Games in Sochi, participated in “Stars on Ice” shows, performed in Russia’s winning entry in the popular 2008 Eurovision song contest, and most recently, married Russian record producer Yana Rudkovskaya on Sept. 12.

He announced in March that he would resume competitive skating, with the goal of reaching the Vancouver Olympics. Plushenko has appeared in two Olympics, winning a silver medal in 2002 and gold in 2006.

Plushenko’s performance in the Rostelecom Cup featured his trademark hubris, as he finished the free skate by dramatically pounding his chest and holding one finger aloft – signaling he was No. 1.

Takahiko Kozuka of Japan won silver, while Plushenko’s countryman Artem Borodulin took bronze.

Plushenko will need to clean up his transitional footwork, something he’s not known for, to contend in Vancouver. The new judging system also gives preference to skaters who sprinkle jumps throughout their program. Plushenko’s past programs were front-loaded with jumps, allowing him to do the most while he had the most strength.

Because Plushenko has been away for so long, he will not be in the other Grand Prix events leading up to the Olympics. Assignments to those events were made long ago by skating federations, and the Russians did not leave a spot for Plushenko.

He will compete next in the Russian nationals, then European Championships, and perhaps then in the Olympics.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 30 Oct 2009, 11:01

http://www.absoluteskating.com/articles/2009cor1.htm

Rostelecom Cup 2009 - Day 1

By Maria Bagdasarova
Photos © Ivan Daniliuk

Having taken the baton from Paris, Moscow hosts the second event of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating, the Rostelecom Cup, this weekend.

2006 Olympic Champion Evgeni Plushenko headlines the Men's competition. Evgeni who has not competed internationally since his triumph in Torino in 2006, began his run to claim his second Olympic title with taking a commanding lead in the short program. Performing to Concierto de Aranjuez by J.Rodrigo, the three-time World champion landed a clean quadruple toe loop - triple toe loop combination and a solid triple axel, and got a level four for the change foot combination and sit spins, and a level three for a flying sit spin and both of the intricate step sequences. Plushenko’s only mistake came when he doubled his triple lutz attempt. The Russian earned 82.25 points (43.80/38.45) that gave him a comfortable 6.75 point lead coming into the free skate. “I’m happy with my comeback. I missed the atmosphere and adrenalin of the competition during my 4 year absence. I’m pleased with my performance today. I’m really happy to have landed a combination with a quadruple jump and a triple axel. I lost my focus a bit after the first two jumps, that is probably why I doubled the lutz. I’ll try to avoid such mistakes tomorrow. However, I’m flattered to be the only one to land a quad,” Evgeni Plushenko commented....

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.absoluteskating.com/articles/2009cor2.html

Rostelecom Cup 2009 - Day 2

By Maria Bagdasarova
Photos © Ivan Daniliuk

The second day of the Rostelecom Cup started off with triumphant victory for the overnight leader Evgeni Plushenko of Russia. The 2006 Olympic champion delivered a convincing performance of his free program to Tango Amore by Edvin Marton featuring a confident quadruple toe loop – triple toe loop combination, two triple axels and four more triples to earn 157.95 (81.15/76.80) points in the segment and overall score of 240.65 points.

“I'm happy about the free skating today, especially about the combination with a quadruple jump. But there's definitely room for improvement. I have to work on steps and spins. My performance tonight involved lots of improvisation; I tried to remind the judges who I am. I took away a lot of connecting moves today. I feel it's just too early to show all the choreography I'm capable of,” Plushenko explained....
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 30 Oct 2009, 11:05

I am talking you, about very nice comments of Plushy, commentator on NBC television? :plush45: :bra_vo:
He is called Paul Wylie, and he is 1992 Olympic silver medalist :mi_ga_et: Here's more from him :-): ....

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp...4&vkey=ice_news

... Wylie provides commentary for NBC Sports and Universal Sports. Days earlier, he had described Evgeni Plushenko's successful return at Moscow's Rostelecom Cup.

"I really think, in some ways, Plushenko is better than before. He's like Brian Boitano. Competition is everything to him. He had trouble with his knees, he took those years off to do shows, and now he's back."

------------------------------------

:-)

http://www.requiredelements.com/2009/10/28...final-thoughts/

Rostelecom Cup Final Thoughts

... Evgeny Plushenko: There was also a little known skater named Plushenko here. He teased the world for three years into thinking he was too out of shape and out of focus to come back, so that everyone commented that he was probably too out of shape and out of focus to come back, so that he would then have motivation to get in shape and get focused to come back and prove the haters wrong. Well played, Plushenko. Still, though he may not be my cup of tea, he looked GOOD, his jumps were impressive, and I do respect how ready he was for the competition (more ready than certain people who never took time off, ahem). He even acknowledges what he has to work on. I don’t think this guy’s going to let down until he gets another Olympic gold medal around his neck. That being said, I don’t think it’s a given that he’ll win.

-----------------------------------------------------

... and few text on french... :hi_hi_hi:

http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/ofbreves_...ilInfosport.Htm
Coupe de Russie: Plushenko impressionne déjà

http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSect=...03&sid=11398249
Evgueni Plushenko fait forte impression

http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/92750/retour...pour-plushenko/
Retour gagnant pour Plushenko

http://www.tsr-rsr.ch/index.html?siteSect=...03&sid=11405915
Plushenko place la barre haute pour Lambiel

http://www.lematin.ch/flash-info/sport/pat...l-duel-distance
Patinage artistique: Plushenko et Lambiel, duel à distance

:du_ma_et: if there have something interesting, maybe someone can translate that? :mi_ga_et:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 30 Oct 2009, 11:11

http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArticle...TCLID=204821465
Thu Oct 29, 2009 By Lee Ann Gschwind / Courtesy of NBC Olympics

Grand Prix of Russia: What was learned

Figure skaters competed in Moscow over the weekend, the second stop on the six-event Grand Prix series. Yevgeny Plushenko, in his return to competition, showed he’s ready to contend for a medal in Vancouver while Mao Asada showed further signs of trouble. Here’s what we learned.

Plushenko still sets the standard :plush41: plush48

Yevgeny Plushenko didn’t just ease back into major international competition over the weekend. The 2006 Olympic gold medalist issued a strong statement to the men who’ve been collecting titles during his three-season absence: he still sets the world standard. Whether or not you’re a fan of his flamboyance and bravado, you have to admire Plushenko’s athleticism and attack. He may lack the elegance that has become increasingly valued under the current scoring system, but no one is better at showcasing figure skating as sport and entertainment. Yes, his scores were inflated -- in the free skate he received several program component marks in the 9s and positive grades of execution ( or GOEs) on every element -- but Plushenko’s jumps are huge and secure (in a quad contest, no other skater could touch him), his spins are improved and his presence is commanding. The history books, like his competitors, should be on notice. Only one skater, Sweden’s Gillis Grafstrom early in the 20th century, has ever won more than two Olympic medals in men’s singles. Make room for a second name on that list....

:plush12: :k_i_n_g: :plush1:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 30 Oct 2009, 11:16

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Dartfish+...6157/story.html

Dartfish changing figure skating

Figure skating, a sport rooted in history -- some would say stuck there for most of its life -- has come miles and miles in the past half-dozen years.

With on-demand digital replay now available for judges to instantly review jumps, lifts and spins before issuing scores, and a new, detailed marking system that a chartered accountant might have difficulty mastering in the limited time between the performance and the revelation of scores, much has fallen on the arbiters who separate the contenders from the pretenders.

But digital technology has also revolutionized the way jumps are taught by coaches, and though it will never replace talent, the imaging program Dartfish is fine-tuning the athlete's technical ability to maximize that talent as never before.

Skiers and other competitors -- Softball Canada was among the first Canadian federations to try it -- have used the Swiss-developed technology for several years, but it seems particularly suited to figure skating, where the difference between a successful Axel or quadruple jump and a fall can be microscopic.

"Dartfish is a computer imaging program, where they use a camera to record an element or a program, and it can do a frame-by-frame analysis," said Skate Canada's CEO, lawyer William Thompson, "so if you're having difficulty, say, on the takeoff for a triple Axel, you can do a few, look at the ones that are successful and the ones that aren't, and see where you make your technical mistake."

Canadian champion and world silver medallist Patrick Chan, who has been working his way up to a quad jump, went to see the sport's acknowledged expert in Dartfish training, longtime coach and U.S. Figure Skating Association official Christy Krall, during the summer.

"She's been the most help so far this year. I mean, Doug Leigh (former coach of Brian Orser and Elvis Stojko) got me started at the beginning, but technique has changed a little since then," Chan said. "With Christy, we just keep looking at my jump on the videos, comparing it with (Evgeni) Plushenko's and (Alexei) Yagudin's and just seeing what I can change with my body."

Dartfish's ultra slow-motion software -- initially a "SimulCam" television application used on broadcasts of sporting events, which has evolved into an invaluable tool for colour analysts on sports from baseball to golf -- also can measure the flight time and height and distance travelled on figure skating jumps, helping coaches calculate rotation time necessary for a jump to be completed.

In the 2006 Turin Olympics, according to the Dartfish website, athletes who had used the technology won a total of 138 medals in numerous sports.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby dimi » 01 Nov 2009, 03:32

mORE!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2323530/evgeni_plushenko_triumphs_in_2009_moscow.html?cat=14
October 25, 2009 by Nancy Miller

Evgeni Plushenko Triumphs in 2009 Moscow Grand Prix Skating Comeback

Torino Men's Champion Ready to Win Repeat Gold in Vancouver Olympics

Skating before a vocal adoring crowd in his native Russia, 26-year-old Evgeni Plushenko demonstrated the technical prowess, confidence, and panache that earned him a silver medal in Salt Lake City and a gold medal at the 2006 Torino, Italy Olympic games. He opened his October 23 free skate program at Moscow's International Skating Union Grand Prix event with a quadruple jump-triple jump combination that appeared effortless and set the tone for the entire four and a half minute master class in men's figure skating. He skated with playful passion to an engaging Tango Amore, arranged by frequent collaborator Hungarian violinist Edvin Marton.

Plushenko is returning to competitive skating after nearly four years away in order to compete in his third Olympics at the Vancouver games in February, 2010. His short and long programs earned him top honors at the Moscow ISU Grand Prix event, recently renamed the Rostelecom Cup (formerly Cup of Russia). Plushenko established a solid 6.75 point lead over his nearest competitor in the men's field in the short program, although he did exhibit a slight lack of focus when he doubled a planned triple lutz jump shortly after his spectacular quad-triple opener. He unleashed his full arsenal of jumps, spins, footwork, dance moves, and charisma in the free skate, maintaining and even increasing his intensity toward the end of his program.

Plushenko Soars above the Competition in Moscow

Plushenko's final score of 240.65 put him a huge 25 points ahead of his nearest competition, talented young Japanese skater Takahiko Kozuka, age 20. Kozuka's skating was smooth and his jumps generally strong, but his artistic impression just a bit amateurish. He skated to an avant-garde
but somewhat grating "guitar concerto" (electric guitar-not Andres Segovia). He may well mature into the complete skater. The third spot on the podium went to another 20-year-old--Russian skater Artem Borodulin, whose tango free skate was decidedly inferior to Plushenko's. Borodulin is desperate to land a spot on Russia's Olympic team and despite his impressive jumping, his desperation was reflected in a manic, frenetic quality to his skating performance in Moscow. Plushenko was fun and exciting to watch, Kozuka easy to watch, and Borodulin difficult to watch.

The top American male at the Rostelecom Cup finished fourth. Quixotic, quirky Russophile Johnny Weir flubbed his triple axel jump multiple times and generally seemed "off" in both short and long program performances. Prior to the tournament he arrived early in Russia, proclaiming himself fit and well-trained. His poor results were particularly disappointing given his veteran status and his obvious love for competing in Russia again with his Russian style and Russian coach. More consistent if less lyrical performer Evan Lysacek of the U.S. (current world champion) did not compete in Moscow. Eighteen-year old Brandon Mroz (U.S. silver medalist) successfully landed a quad jump, but placed seventh due to errors in other elements.

During his post-performance interview with David Pelletier of NBC Sports, Plushenko remarked that he was very pleased to have skated a "good performance" but not surprised because he had performed well at another (local St. Petersburg) competition several weeks ago. He said the most difficult aspect of the comeback was the hours of daily practice and losing quite a few "kilos" that he had gained drinking wine and eating spaghetti.

NBC commentator Paul Wylie remarked during Plushenko's long program performance that he not only retains his ability to hit the most difficult jumps with excellent height, speed, and polished landings, but his crowd-pleasing showmanship has actually improved. He seemed 100 percent connected to everyone in the stands (and in the television audience) throughout his program, projecting musicality, playful impudence, tango-appropriate flirtatiousness, and even joy. He may have crossed the line into public cockiness when he made the symbol for "number 1" with his index finger even before his program came to an end. Perhaps he can be forgiven for this grandstanding (and his fist-pumping celebration during his applause) since he was making his comeback after almost four years of retirement in front of a partisan Russian audience.

On Course to Take Third Olympic Medal in February

Even though not all the men currently at the top of the heap of the men's singles field were in Moscow, there is no question that if Plushenko keeps up this level of performance, he will win in February. There are no other superstars with the complete
package of technical feats, artistic mastery, and consistent skating currently on the scene. Plushenko's chief rival and fellow Russian Alexei Yagudin retired from competition in 2003 after securing his Olympic gold in Salt Lake City. (The eighteen-year-old Plushenko took silver.) Plushenko dominated the top of the podium throughout the inter-Olympics competitions and swept convincingly to his 2006 victory in Torino, then retired to heal his injuries and enjoy the spoils of victory with his young family. In addition to his silver and gold Olympic medals, he is a three-time World Champion, five-time European Champion, four-time winner of the Grand Prix finals, as well as former Junior World Champion. His Rostelecom Cup trophy is his eighth career victory at the Moscow ISU Grand Prix event.

Despite his packed resume and years out of competition, Evgeni Plushenko remains only 26 years old. He has not lost his boyish edginess or his Owen Wilson face framed by flying blond locks during his years away from the sport. In September 2009, he married Dima Bilan's music manager, Jana Rudkovskaia, whom he met when he skated on stage as part of Bilan's winning Eurovision Song Contest performance for Russia in 2008. Plushenko has a three year old son with his first wife, from whom he was divorced in 2008. His first wedding was a lavish event at the Hotel Astoria in St. Peterburg. His second wedding was broadcast on MTV.

His recent comments indicate that even though he has enjoyed the good life resulting from his skating career, he misses the challenge of competition. His announced comeback for the 2007-2008 season never materialized. He announced in March 2009 that he was working with his longtime coach, Alexei Mishin, to prepare for competition at the 2010 Olympics. Based on his results at the Rostelecom Cup, this comeback is very real. His decision to return will energize what is, frankly, a lackluster men's singles field going into the Vancouver Olympics. In fact, it is not an overstatement to see him as "a snowy dove trooping with crows" in the words of William Shakespeare. (In Romeo and Juliet, Act I, Scene 5, this phrase was spoken by Romeo sotto voce, in reference to Juliet.)

We can hope that the return of the Russian superstar will stimulate others such as Brian Joubert, Tomas Verner, Weir and Lysacek, Patrick Chan, the Japanese men and other Russian men to step up their games in time for Vancouver, making for a more interesting men's singles competition than we had reason to expect based on last season. If this happens, all figure skating enthusiasts will have Evgeni Plushenko to thank.

dimi

Postby cekoni » 04 Nov 2009, 09:20

http://www.reuters.com/article/olympicsNew...0091104?sp=true
Tue Nov 3, 2009 7:02pm EST, By Gennady Fyodorov

FEATURE-Olympics-Plushenko back on the ice for Vancouver

MOSCOW, Nov 4 (Reuters) - Olympic figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko, making a comeback after a 3-1/2-year hiatus, has ditched pizza, chocolate and late nights as he seeks to become the first man in more than half a century to retain his title.

The flamboyant Russian, regarded as the most gifted skater of his generation, quit the sport after winning the men's gold at the 2006 Turin Olympics.

Plushenko, who turned 27 on Tuesday, made a successful return at last month's Moscow Grand Prix, outclassing the opposition with his trademark triple and quadruple jumps and elegant spins.

"It feels great to be back, feel the competitive urge, the crowd, the cheers once again. It's almost like I've never been away," he told Reuters in an interview, setting his sights on defending his title at the Vancouver Games in February.

"I feel like a kid who got to play with his toys again after a long absence."

Although far from his best, Plushenko's performance sent a clear warning to his rivals that the boss is back.

"This was like a rehearsal. Vancouver is definitely the main target for me this season," said Plushenko, who also plans to compete at next month's nationals and the European championships in Tallinn in January.

Plushenko said money was not a factor in his decision to skate again.

"I could have made a lot more just by doing exhibitions almost every week," said the St Petersburg skater, who made a cameo appearance at last year's Eurovision Song Contest in Belgrade, helping his friend, pop singer Dima Bilan, to victory.

GOOD LIFE

"I've had a very good life, travelling the world, performing in shows, I could stay in bed late and eat all I want, but in all honestly I got bored with all that.

"Now I get up at six in the morning, I can't have a slice of pizza or a bar of chocolate, I can't go out late at night as I have early training but I have no regrets," Plushenko added.

"The sacrifices are all worth it. I can skate in shows until I'm 40 or 50, but now I want to compete at the top level again, to experience the drive, the emotions, something you can only get in real competitions, not shows."

He credits his wife Jana Rudkovskaya for talking him into making a comeback. "Since last year she kept telling me: 'You can do it. Go for it.' She pushed me really hard," he recalled.

"I was all set to return a year ago but I started to train really hard because we only had three months left before the season and it was a bit too tough on my knees," said the skater, who had surgery on his right knee in 2007.

"So we had to postpone it until this year. But now I'm fine. I have to take good care of my knees, ice and massage them after every skate but so far they are holding pretty well, thank God."

Plushenko, looking fit after shedding more than 10 kilos in the past 12 months, said he was a better skater now than he was when he quit the sport at the peak of his powers.

"I don't think I've lost a step. I can do all the jumps I did then and even may add a few more (quads)," he said.

"For sure, I'm now a more mature skater and can express myself much better on the ice than I did in the past."

His long-time coach Alexei Mishin agreed.

"Definitely, he's improved. His charisma, his ability to radiate energy and get the crowd going make Zhenya unique," Mishin, who also coached Olympic men's champions Alexei Urmanov and Alexei Yagudin, told Reuters.

"He was 11 when I took him under my wing and we've been together since. It's 16 years now, I don't think you could find such a long (coach-athlete) partnership anywhere in sports."

FEDERER COMPARISON

In his heyday, Plushenko wowed audiences and judges alike with his artistry, elegance and technical skills, earning comparisons with Swiss tennis great Roger Federer.

"It's not up to me to make such a judgment, I'd leave it to the people and the press," he said. "But sure I'd also like to be remembered as a great champion, to have my place in history."

Plushenko, who finished second behind Yagudin at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games, is well aware of the fact that only three male skaters have successfully defended their Olympic titles.

"It's a very select company. I know (Richard) Button won two golds but that was a long time ago," he said in reference to the American who was the last man to achieve the feat, triumphing at the 1948 and 1952 Games.

Plushenko seemed unconcerned that not every comeback, including those of Olympic champions Brian Boitano and Viktor Petrenko, had turned into a fairytale.

"Boitano, Petrenko, (Canadian Brian) Orser also tried I think but that was them. I have my own destiny," said Plushenko, who missed a chance to compete at the 1998 Nagano Games at the age of 15 because Russia could send only two men skaters.

"I skated really well at the nationals that year but they didn't pick me, saying I was too young and would get my chance next time," he recalled.

Asked if he could make another comeback at the 2014 Sochi Games back home in Russia, Plushenko smiled and said: "Well, that's a long way from now but you never know."

(Editing by Clare Fallon; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)
© Thomson Reuters 2009 All rights reserved
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 07 Nov 2009, 03:49

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-feature ... +vancouver
By Lee Ann Gschwind, NBC Olympics

Figure skating: What to expect
Olympic medalists return, Asian powers take control

Russian Yevgeny Plushenko returns to defend his Torino gold.

As this Olympic season approached, a theme began to appear: comebacks. From injury, from pregnancy, and most notably from retirement - four medalists from the 2006 Torino Games returned this year to pursue another Olympics. Vancouver would be the third Games for Sasha Cohen, Yevgeny Plushenko, and Stephane Lambiel, while Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo are seeking a fourth trip. The celebrated Chinese pair has won three world titles, but remains motivated by the opportunity to claim their country's first Olympic figure skating gold.

The presence of these veterans adds intrigue to what already promised to be a compelling figure skating competition in Vancouver. Below, a look at five key storylines to watch:

The King is back :plush45:

The most intimidating return so far has been that of Plushenko. With his convincing win at Cup of Russia in late October, the 2006 Olympic gold medalist sent a clear message to the men who've been taking titles in his three-and-a-half year competitive absence: to win gold in Vancouver, you're going to have to get through this three-time world champion. :-) :plush41: :du_el: With his reliable quadruple jumps and equally unwavering confidence, Plushenko is poised to make all kinds of history - he would be the first man to win two straight golds in more than half a century, the second man ever to win more than two Olympic medals, and the sixth straight Olympic gold medalist from Russia/the former Soviet Union.

In Vancouver, Plushenko will have to fend off a deep field of challengers, six of whom have won world championship medals. That group includes two-time world champion Lambiel, 2007 world champion Brian Joubert, host country sensation Patrick Chan, and reigning world champ Evan Lysacek, who in 2009 ended a 13-year world title drought for the U.S. men. Daisuke Takahasi, the 2007 world silver medalist, sat out all of last season with a knee injury, but returns to lead a talented trio of former world junior champions from Japan. Joining Takahashi in Vancouver should be Takahiko Kozuka and Nobunari Oda, who quickly claimed two Grand Prix golds to start his Olympic season....

----------------------------------------------

http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/ath ... index.html

Getting to know: Yevgeny Plushenko

Retired after winning Olympic gold in Torino, but returned to competition three seasons later...Moved to St. Petersburg on his own at age 11 to train with renowned coach Aleksei Mishin...The charismatic blonde loves fast cars and has achieved rock star status in Russia...Also has made a name for himself politically in Russia, serving on the St. Petersburg parliament and working on the 2014 Sochi Games.

Read Full Bio:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/ath ... index.html

Career Highlights: 2006 Olympic gold medalist, 2002 Olympic silver medalist, three-time world champion, five-time European champion, seven-time Russian champion

2009-10 Music
Short Program: Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo
Free Skate: Tango Amore by Edvin Marton

Welcome Back!
After dominating men's figure skating, winning Olympic silver and gold, three world championships and five European titles, Yevgeny retired from competitive skating in 2006. Concerned about the state of Russian men's figure skating, Yevgeny announced that he would return to competitive skating for the 2007-08 season, but that comeback never happened. Many doubted his sincerity when he announced, again, that he would return for the Vancouver Games, but he proved himself as an Olympic gold medal threat yet again with his performance at a Grand Prix stop in Russia. "To come back after a three-year break isn't easy, but it's worth the risk," he told Russian reporters.

King Quad
Plushenko's return has played a key role in shaping the dynamics of men's figure skating for the Olympic year. In the past two seasons, a quadruple jump wasn't necessary to win a world title. That won't be the case in the Olympics, considering Plushenko is likely to do quad toe-triple toe combinations in both his short program and his free skate, and says he wants to do a second quad in the free skate as well. Several other men will attempt the quad, but Plushenko's mastery of the jump sets him apart. He does it so well that he earns positive grades of execution - his quad-triple combo can garner more than 15 points. He rarely misses it. And he's so comfortable with the jump that he does it in his exhibition program.

No honeymoon this time
Streamed live on the internet, Yevgeny's second marriage to Yana Rudkovskaya included guests Nikolay Valuev (WBA heavyweight champion), Olympic gold medalist Svetlana Khorkina and a few Russian music stars. Yevgeny met Yana through Dima Bilan, a Russian pop artist; Dima has performed with Yevgeny and Yana is Dima's manager. Yevgeny married his first wife in 2005, a year before the Olympic Games, even though his coach objected to the timing. This time around, Yevgeny says that Mishin didn't comment, but the couple didn't take a honeymoon - Yevgeny left with Mishin and his choreographer the next day.

Transparent approach :sh_ок: :plush46: :-)
In a sport typically shrouded in secrecy, Yevgeny has taken the opposite approach for the lead-up to Vancouver. He has a slickly-designed web site, official MySpace and YouTube sites - where he regularly posts videos and photos, including training video. Fifty-one of Yevgeny's fans from around the world recorded messages on a golden CD as a welcome back gift. They presented the surprise when Yevgeny was training in Pinzolo, Italy. In return, he posted a thank you video on his web site.
("unfortunately", they no put and link to the site :hi_hi_hi: )

A need for adrenaline
Yevgeny admits that a lack of excitement in his life drew him back to the rink. He says that he took his motorcycle to 150 mph, played paintball and went four-wheeling, but now skating provides enough adrenaline now. "Many people asked me in the spring, 'Why do you need this? Practices again, the training load, stress. You have everything - money, fame, titles ... you've won everything. Why are you returning?' Sinply, I was bored. There wasn't enough passion, fight, inner drive or goals. Or, like my coach Aleksei Mishin said, I just want to prolong my youth, I'm all of 26 years old, why not compete some more?"

Thanks, mom!
Unusually flexible for a male skater, Yevgeny credits his mother with encouraging him to do a lot of stretching when he was younger, saying, "It hurt, and I was a young boy, and I thought I didn't need to stretch. But now...thanks, Mommy."

Sex bomb
Plushenko is known for an exhibition program set to "Sex Bomb," which he debuted at the 2001 Worlds. With a flesh-colored muscle suit and a gold bikini bottom, he flirted his way through the program, even dancing with members of the audience.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 07 Nov 2009, 12:06

... one more similar title and content... :mi_ga_et:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-feature ... nter+games
Vonn, Ohno and a rising Canadian squad among 2010 story lines
By Greg Groggel

What to expect in Vancouver

3. Drama kings

With the return of reigning Olympic champion Yevgeny Plushenko of Russia and Torino silver medalist Stephane Lambiel of Switzerland, the men's figure skating field is suddenly as crowded as Moscow's Red Square during a Paul McCartney concert. Not since the 1994 Lillehammer Games, when Olympic champions Brian Boitano (1988) and Ukraine's Viktor Petrenko (1992) returned to challenge Russian Aleksei Urmanov and Canadians Elvis Stojko and Kurt Browning, has a men's competition featured such a compelling lineup. Representing the U.S. will likely be Johnny Weir and 2009 world champion Evan Lysacek. The pair, dissimilar in nearly every way, could both challenge for medals. No matter the outcome, there promises to be an extra helping of drama...
cekoni
Administrator

Re: Пресса о Жене на льду || Press about Evgeni ON Ice

Postby cekoni » 11 Nov 2009, 12:24

I do not know where to put this :ne_vi_del: but I have somewhere ... :smu:sche_nie:
----------------------------------------

OK, I know that this news is actually repeated :a_g_a: ... but while I ransacked the Russian and western media :kli_ny: ... in my country (which has half of a skating rink :-) ) all media buzz about Plushy's return, triumphant victory in the GP...! :sh_ок: :ya_hoo_oo:

Here is only a few links, and titles from largest media companies - most of them quoted the same Reuters agency's news (which you still know :mi_ga_et: ) and transferred the scoring difference beetwen him and Kozuka's :plush11:

... news from 22.10-04.11.2009... :-):

Plušenko announced a return to ice
http://www.rts.rs/page/sport/sr/story/129/...tak+na+led.html

Plushenko returns to the ice
http://www.b92.net/sport/zimski/klizanje.p...2&nav_id=388113

Plushenko's winning return
http://www.mtsmondo.com/sport/football/text.php?vest=150685

Plushenko: Love towards skating, not have cost
http://www.rts.rs/page/sport/sr/story/129/...+nema+cenu.html
http://www.svetplus.com/news.asp?tip=0&cid=6&id=324593

Grand Prix in Mocow: Plushenko's golden dance
http://www.sportal.rs/news.php?id=12658

... not to mention a lot of positive comments "ordinary" people, who were very glad for his return, at various sites and forums :plush45:
Here do not know exactly, what it is skating :-) ... but ALL know and remember - WHO IS PLUŠENKO! :plush1:

There is just some of them... :mi_ga_et:

# I'm very happy for this because the skating began to lose popularity, since him does not, but here he is back, and I know that everything will be great :)

# News, which can make happy all lovers of ice skating. Best of all, by far the most elegant, with the most style of ... Evgeni Plushenko.

# I am very glad to hear this. The best skater of all time and the pleasure it is to see, how he skate ...

# Bravo Plushenko!
This decision is really the top, as in the amateur skating world, at least in our country vanished all hope, that something like this can happen.
Top athletes, ie. what is Plushenko skater, it's hard to be reached, let alone surpassed.

# Already can be predict the result of any future major competitions in figure skating, where will be appear Plushenko's, whose nickname is "King on Ice", with much reason!

# Lovely!
An otherwise, I love skating!
But this, what Plushenko performed is incredible, and will never be overcome.

# I am thrilled! It's like when you have multiple kinds of art ... and highlight all of them, connect in one person, and one performance.
Such performances and plays, can be seen numerous times ...

# Sensational!
Top Pros! Dedicated maximum to his performances, with the vast amount of energy and emotion. Mentally inviolable, one of the rare skaters, who if made mistakes, contiunes with skating, as if nothing happened!
-------------------------------

P.S. how nice is to "discover", that there are still so many people around you who think the same :plush33: ... and that it did not even know :plush34:
cekoni
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Всё о Жене || Everything about Evgeni