English newspaper texts about Plushy

Любим! Надеемся! Верим!
We love you! We believe in you!

Re: Пресса о Жене на льду|| Press about Evgeni ON Ice

Postby dimi » 27 Nov 2009, 22:36

http://www.termsport.com/best-of-the-de ... ts-on-ice/

Best of the decade: The 10 best Olympic moments on ice

6. Evgeny Plushenko obliterates field to win figure skating gold: The Russian was untouchable
in Torino. He broke the International Skating Union records for both
the short and long programs on the way to his gold medal.
dimi

Re: English newspaper texts about Plushy

Postby cekoni » 28 Nov 2009, 14:21

http://www.termsport.com/the-10-best-ol ... he-decade/
November 27, 2009

The 10 best Olympic athletes of the decade

Picking out just ten athletes who dominated the Olympics through the beginning of the century was a tough task. With Summer Games in 2000, 2004 and 2008, and Winter Games in 2002 and 2006, thousands of athletes have competed in dozens of sports. Still, there were a few athletes who peaked perfectly when the Olympic pressure was on....

9. Evgeni Plushenko, Russia, figure skating: He set a world record score in Torino to win gold and won the bronze in Salt Lake City. His name is synonymous with exciting skating, and Russians everywhere rejoiced when he announced that he was coming out of retirement for Vancouver.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby Gal4onok » 28 Nov 2009, 16:35

cekoni did you notice that there was an unforgivable mistake in this list of the 10 best Olympic athletes of the decade....
According to it Evgeni won the bronze medal in Salt Lake City in 2002 :plush38:
Gal4onok

Postby cekoni » 29 Nov 2009, 09:00

Gal4onok wrote:cekoni did you notice that there was an unforgivable mistake in this list of the 10 best Olympic athletes of the decade....
According to it Evgeni won the bronze medal in Salt Lake City in 2002 :plush38:

I was tired (when I copied the text here), and not noticed that :smu:sche_nie: ... now I wrote a comment there, and hope that they will fix the error :mi_ga_et: ... in fact, I was so happy that I found him, at all, on this list :son-ce:

-----------------------

Here it is another list ... with a "small" mistakes :-) - they only "forgotten" on his 4-3-3 combo, and put him even on the 5th place! :plush30: :plush43: :hi_hi_hi:
(and proclaimed Yagudin's as 5-fold world champion :sh_ок: ... nevertheless, Plushy is ahead Yags) ::yaz-yk:

http://sportales.com/skating/10-greates ... -all-time/

10 Greatest Male Figure Skaters of All Time

The sport of figure skating does not only emphasize athleticism and technical perfection but also artistic expression. This is my list of history’s ten greatest men singles figure skaters who have proven themselves in all these aspects, and in the process, won many world and/or Olympic titles....

5. Evgeni Plushenko (Russia)
His competitive record of being a five-time European champion (2000-01, 2003, 2005-06), three-time World champion (2001, 2003-04) and the 2006 Olympic gold medallist certainly makes him one of the greatest skaters that Russia ever produced. He is much recognized for his exceptional technical abilities, being one of the very few male skaters to execute the Biellman spin. He was also consistently landing numerous quadruple, quadruple-triple and quadruple-triple-double jump combinations successfully in major competitions.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 30 Nov 2009, 11:13

http://theirrationaltiffa.blogspot.com/200...re-skating.html
Sunday, November 29, 2009

Vancouver+Olympics+Mens Figure Skating

Only about 2 months and 2 weeks until the Winter Olympics begin in Vancouver, Canada. Needless to say, excitement is in the air. Trying to keep on all the Olympic sports has been quite the challenge, and figure skating's Olympic scene has been prevailing as my primary focus. Now, if you don't give two flying craps about skating, you may just want to stop reading now. But if you love skating, or used to watch skating, but stopped watching around...oh 2002? It's no coincidence that most people say they didn't watch the 2006 Olympics. After 2002, the whole judging system of skating was changed (due to the Canadian/Russian Pairs fiasco at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games), and probably for the worst. Instead of the 6.0 system, it is now based on a complicated points system. There is no perfect score (which confuses most people). Bottom line, skaters are getting rewarded for doing components well, and not for taking risks. And with that, the disappearance of the quad.

The most obvious different between skating now and skating in 2002 would have to be in men's skating and the lack of quads. Now, men's skating isn't the most popular among most people, but men's skating is my personal favorite. Mostly because the quad. Back in 2002, the top 3 men (Alexei Yagudin-Gold, Evgeni Plushenko-Silver, and Timothy Goebel- Bronze) all had at least 1 quad in their short program and 2 quads in their long program. It was common knowledge that if you w anted even a prayer to end up in the top 5 at the 2002 games, you needed your quads. All men were trying them, most were doing them, the ones who were successful wreaked the medal benefits. Now, after watching the Grand Prix competitions leading up the Grand Prix Final in Tokyo, Japan, you were lucky if you saw the top ranked male do a quad.

The most exciting development on the skating scene is the return of Russia's Evgeni Plushenko. After his devastating loss at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games, Plushenko competed for another 4 years to seize the gold at the 2006 Torino Games. Needless to say, he developed into a skating machine. Quads were completed with ease and artistry coming out of his pores. Skating to Edvin Marton's rendition of the "Godfather", Plushenko blew his competition out of the water. After 2006, he retired and hit the ice show road, like any good natured Olympian. But now it's 2009 going on 2010, skating has gone through the toilet, so now it's time for Plushenko's return.

Plushenko has been quoted in saying that he's returning to bring honor back in figure skating to the Russian Federation. Which is very nice of him, however those of us who are smart know that he probably was forced to comeback by the Russian Federation. EITHER WAY, I'm glad he's back. Although I was a die-hard Yagudin fan, Plushenko has proven to be the strongest skater to bring figure skating back into the international spotlight. He's not just coming back for Russia, he's coming back for figure skating.

Perhaps this should be a wake up call for skating. Evolution, is a well known, widely accepted idea. I'm not an expert on all sports, however, world records are broken every day. Every day, an athlete becomes better, faster, stronger, smarter. Whether it's human evolution with the help of science or God, sports are supposed to evolve everyday. Retired athletes look at sports today, knowing that the athletes of today are better than the athletes of yesterday. With that knowledge in mind, it should be damn-near impossible for Plushenko, who was named World Champion in 2000, to come back and kick ass. At Rostelecom (Cup of Russia), Plushenko (more than 10 years later) showed that he was a force to reckon with. Although chubbier, he still nailed the 2 quads in his LP and took Cup of Russia while barely breaking a sweat.

In my opinion, Plushenko's showing at Cup of Russia could be replayed at the Olympics in February, and he could easily win. I don't care about who scored more points than he did at various other Grand Prix events, the whole system makes about as much sense as the weather does. There's US's Evan Lysacek who has decided to not debut his quad until the Olympics. Some say that it's smart that he's pacing himself. To me, he's not an Olympic medal contender until I see that quad. Brian Joubert has his quad and is my 2nd favorite, however isn't as consistent as Plushenko. My underdog favorite right now is Ryan Bradley of the US, although he's no Picasso, he's got 2 quads and ain't afraid to use them. Jeremy Abbott was probably my least favorite US male skater of all time (after Michael Weiss) last season, however has really stopped skating like such a fairy fruitcake. He bombed at his first Grand Prix, but did quite well at Skate Canada. I'm not ruling him out, but I need to see a little more consistency, conviction, and manly strength before I put him up there in the medal contenders. Noboru Oda of Japan has turned a few heads, but not mine. I'm unimpressed with his Charlie Chaplin routine, mostly because I did a better Charlie Chaplin as a 15 year old Intermediate Synchronized Skater. Turn up the Chaplin, Oda. Johnny Weir is just a skater I like to have around for entertainment, after all these years he has failed to show a consistent quad, and I just don't see it happening in the near future. But you gotta love a queen who owns it.

Bottom line is I want to see a men's skater skate like a man. (I know, there's humor dribbled all over that sentence) I want to see quads, I want to see quintuples. It's pathetic at some competitions, the men have been taking out their planned quads, thinking they can win without it. I don't care if they win that one competition, I want to see the men of figure skating push their sport. It should be more athletically demanding than it was 10 years ago. Plushenko is proof that it's not.
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 03 Dec 2009, 11:40

More about Plushy on "Rostelecom Cup" :plush46: .... I only now found this site :hi_hi_hi:

http://blog.europeonice.com/?eid=212#sequel

Rostelecom Cup 2009 Sees Return Of The King

After almost four years away from competition, this weekend’s Rostelecom Cup sees the Evgeni Plushenko embark on the road to what he hopes will be a second consecutive Olympic gold medal.

The 2006 Olympic Champion has so far only competed in one competition and that was a Russian domestic event where the scoring was perhaps a bit on the “generous” side. This will be the first opportunity for Plushenko to see if the judges are still as enamoured with his undoubted charisma and whether or not he has added more difficulty in his transitions than he previously had.

The withdrawal of Patrick Chan, the reigning World silver medallist, has somewhat lessened the possibility of comparing the old school (like Plushenko) versus the new school of skaters (as embodied by Chan) who have grown up under CoP, but the roster is still pretty decent....

--------------------------------------------------------

http://blog.europeonice.com/?eid=213#sequel

Plushenko Back To Winning Ways

The Rostelecom Cup 2009 concluded on Saturday with the successful return to international competition for Evgeni Plushenko.

The 2006 Olympic Champion reminded everybody what made him so unbeatable when came out and laid down a flawless programme to "Tango Amore" by his longtime collaborator Edvin Marton. The jumps speak for themselves - quadruple toeloop/triple toeloop combination, two triple axels and four other triples. In this regard, Plushenko had no competition at this event. One point of concern may be the relatively muted score of 158.40 points for the free skate, several points lower than Nobunari Oda scored in Paris the weekend before. It's clear that Plushenko will have to earn a second Olympic gold.

Over 25 points behind the Russian, Takahiko Kozuka clinched second place with his free programme to "Guitar Concerto" by Michael Kamen.....
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 07 Dec 2009, 01:50

And now, again: "news from the past" :smu:sche_nie:
---------------------------------------------------------

... translation from japanese newspapers and TV.... by kudryavka :plush39:
(according to her's words, this is from the series: "Plushy syndrome" :hi_hi_hi: )

NHK Trophey - Takahashi interview after LP, for japanese Asahi TV
7 November 2009
- Plushenko will take part in Olympic games, do you feel "please don't come back"?
- Frankly, I feel "enough is enough," "enough already" (laugh) - Well, I really think that if he'd take part in Olympics, it'll be more interesting. And it'll be a nice experience for me that I can compete with him. So, I'm looking forward to it.

- You must try quads if he skates at Olympics.
- Yes, he skated with confidence in his first comeback competition. He didn't make a mistake. I think really he's great, I want to improve to reach that level until Olympics.

NHK Trophy Free Skating
http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter/sk ... pnavi.html
8 November, 2009
.... Weir modified his SlSt from level 2 to level 3 in SP, but he made a mistake at 3Lo in LP. Former Weir would give up by it. However he was inspired by the return of Evgeni Plushenko. He said: "I should become strong like Plushenko."
Weir showed the change in his mind ......

2009 NHK Trophy Review - Johnny Weir, outstanding exhibition number
http://iceblue.cocolog-nifty.com/figure ... -a452.html
November 12, 2009
.... I'm already 25 years old, an adult, not 17 boy. I saw Plushenko in Russia two weeks ago. I was very inspired by him. Indeed, he looked like "the tiger on ice." It's about time I learn a skill to control myself (like him) ....

Daisuke Takahashi interview
http://www.asahi.com/sports/column/TKY200911170351.html
- What did you think about three grand prix events, which were held before NHK trophy?
- I felt that quadruple jump was already common jump. Plushenko-san didn't take part in any competition for many years. But he didn't make me imagine any error in jump. Honestly, I felt down a little bit. I thought that he is not like others, is he a monster? ;;-))) Is this really a competition? (Laughs)... He seemed to be relaxed and he was able to appeal. It may be a difference of the champion and an ordinary man. I want to skate confidently like that.

--------------------------------

http://goldenskate.com/articles/2009/111009.shtml
November 10, 2009 Article by Tatiana Flade

Brian Joubert
Taking the risk of change

... he always said that he wanted to become European Champion, World Champion and Olympic Champion.... Now the 2010 Winter Games are just four months away, and Joubert will be sharing ice with an old rival - Russia's Evgeni Plushenko, who stood on the Olympic podium in 2002 and 2006. ( :plush46: ... and etc... :plush45: )

Joubert doesn't feel Plushenko's return to competition increases the pressure, however. On the contrary, it inspires him. "It is good that he came back. It is good for figure skating and it will push all of us." Joubert is looking forward to new battles with the other master of the quad. Of all the current competitive skaters, Joubert is the only one that managed to beat Plushenko in a major competition (2004 Europeans).
:mi_ga_et: accidentally, because Plushy then relaxed a little... but now - I DON'T THINK SO! ::yaz-yk:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 07 Dec 2009, 02:05

Very nice text, from not very nice journalists :plush44: - I am "amazed" :sh_ок: :-)

http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/2009/11/...n-report-cards/
11.11.2009., Jennifer Kirk

Skating’s quarter-season report cards

Last week, the 2009 Grand Prix series officially hit the halfway mark. At this point, besides reigning world silver medalist Patrick Chan and two-time world champion Stephane Lambiel, we‘ve seen performances from the most likely contenders for Olympic medals. For some skaters, the first four Grand Prix events have been filled with excitement, surprise medals, and satisfaction. But for others, the start of the season hasn’t gone as planned. Here’s how things currently look in the men’s and ladies’ events as we inch closer to the Games.

MEN

The biggest story in the men’s event has been the victorious return of 2006 Olympic gold medalist Evgeni Plushenko. Plushenko was terrific at his season opener three weeks ago in Moscow. Picking up exactly where he left off before his retirement four years ago, Plushenko currently holds the highest total score of any man this season.

Although Plushenko was amazing in Moscow, he was only slotted for one event so we won’t see him in December’s Grand Prix final. Because Plushenko has a few months before his next competition, he should use this time to focus on keeping up the momentum from his first event and working on the few areas of his skating that need improvement, namely the speed and position of his spins....

... Outside of Plushenko, Joubert has the most solid quad and speed of any of the men....
For skaters like Oda, Plushenko, and Ando, the next few weeks are about resting and keeping their energy up for the rest of the season....

And the most important thing for all skaters – particularly Oda and Kim – to remember:
This season is a marathon, not a sprint.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp...2&vkey=ice_news
14.11.2009. by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com

Plushenko's back, now deal with it
U.S. men respect, but don't fear, mighty Russian

Evgeni Plushenko's dominating win at the Rostelecom Cup made him an early favorite for Olympic gold.

Evgeni Plushenko served notice at the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow that he's willing and able to defend his Olympic title in Vancouver, but it doesn't follow that his U.S. competitors are intimidated by the Russian's outsize personality and consistent quad toe combinations.

"Plushenko looked good to me," Frank Carroll, Evan Lysacek's coach, said. "Strong in jumps, and jumps, and jumps." (sour grapes? ::yaz-yk: )

Carroll handicapped a few of the other contenders.

"[Brian] Joubert is a dark horse, he's so hot and cold. I don't know if his artistry will be up to level. To me, Patrick Chan would be a big rival. And don't forget [Stéphane] Lambiel will be back, he's a great artist on the ice. Sometimes he struggles with elements, but he's a real artist."

Evan Lysacek himself doesn't see a clear favorite.

"I don't think you can say anyone is the one to beat," he said after his winning short last night. "It's wide open and I think it's the most anticipated event."
Once again, the world champion was asked if he needed a quad to take home gold.
"I feel like I'm barely back into training," he said. "[During the] off season I spent tons of time preparing choreography and building up strength in my [left] foot [injured before worlds last season].
"A few weeks ago, I started [training] the quad again, and then I practiced this week in between Cup of China and Skate America. Hopefully by Vancouver I'll feel confident enough to put it into my program under the Olympic spotlight."

Carroll also hopes for the quad, but stressed it wasn't necessarily the most important factor.
"I feel like [Evan] has to be steady and bring himself to a high artistic level," Carroll said. "I would like to see him do a quad at the Olympics. It's not ready right now but I hope it will be." (... as Lysack has a "particulary" good artistry :hi_hi_hi:)

U.S. silver medalist Brandon Mroz, who competed against Plushenko at the Rostelecom Cup (he placed seventh), looks forward to his next encounter with the Russian.
"For me he's a great athlete, he pushed the men's field and made a lot of guys put out the quad," Mroz said. "When it comes down to it, he's a skater, just the same as I am. We have the same ammunition."
Asked if his youth -- 19, to Plushenko's 27 -- was an advantage, Mroz laughed.
"Maybe," he said. "Maybe my knees can bend more easily. It's good to have youth on my side."

Ryan Bradley, who trains alongside Mroz in Colorado Springs, has worked the quad consistently into his programs over the past few seasons. He views Plushenko as inspiration.
"He definitely turned a lot of heads at the Rostelecom Cup," Bradley said. "He went out, didn't necessarily have the very highest levels or the best transitions, but hit the tough jumps. I think of that as kind of my style. [His comeback] is good for the sport and definitely helps push me in my skating.
"I don't think the top guys are looking at him and getting scared. I think they look upon him as another competitor."

(All in all - they planty encourage themselves :-))

--------------------------------------------------------

"Associated" with post from 2 page: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54&start=10#p2312 :-)
cekoni wrote:http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Dartfish+...6157/story.html

Dartfish changing figure skating....

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figureskatin...at-skate-canada
Sat Nov 21 2009 By Rosie DiManno

KITCHENER, ONT. – It will come as ego-plumping news to Evgeny Plushenko, that Patrick Chan uses the Russian's quad as a gold medal standard. (yes, him was needed just Chan, to raise his "ego" :plush26:)

Literally, via a software program that lays Chan's four-turn jump – never seen in competition – over top of the Olympic champion's, seen tons but not lately.

"The quad I compare to Plushenko a lot,'' 18-year-old Chan, who's not yet learned to self-edit, was saying here on Saturday evening, after finishing a throwback-sixth at Skate Canada. "Actually, only Plushenko, I keep watching him over and over. It's helped a lot. He's a great mentor.''

Oh dear, the Toronto figure skating whiz is all but sleeping with the enemy here, metaphorically, with such compliments – however accurate they may be. The magisterial Plushenko, teed up for a comeback after barely skating at all since winning the laurels in '06 Turin, clearly still considers him No. 1 Male on the Planet and untouchable, a declaration reinforced during his triumph at the Grand Prix Russian stop last month, the blond stallion :plush22: throwing his finger in the air to indicate he was still Mr. Uno. Image :-)

A diva gesture but, at least, showing showbiz-style and personality, :cool_cool: qualities in short supply 'round the figure skating world these days. Image

It is not a memorable era for men.

Despite the result here – Chan's first-time out competitively since rehabbing a torn left calf muscle – the world silver medallist is well in the mix for gold in Vancouver three months hence. Realistically, there are only a half-dozen champion prospects for those Games: Plushenko, Chan, veterans Brian Joubert of France and Stephane Lambiel of Switzerland, American Evan Lysacek and Japan's Daisuke Takahashi, who won the free skate here but finished silver behind Jeremy Abbott of the U.S. overall.

So Chan studies Plushenko's quad, all skating enthusiasts wondering whether he'll have the nerve to include it, game unworn, come Vancouver....
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 07 Dec 2009, 02:28

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports...010-olympi.html

Belbin looks like an Olympic medalist. But the winner is....

.. Over dinner Sunday night in Lake Placid, five reporters who will be covering figure skating at the 2010 Olympics agreed to hazard predictions on the Winter Games medals. I decided to come up with an aggregate of our picks by assigning 5 points for a prediction of gold, 3 for silver, 1 for bronze.
I know the whole thing is very unscientific, but the point here is simply to have some fun....

(Our panel was Juliet Macur and Jere Longman of the New York Times; Christine Brennan and Kelly Whiteside of USA Today; and me of Chicago Tribune)

In listing the 2010 predictions, I will give total points and votes by place. So, for example, in ice dance, Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto of the United States had 17 (2-2-1), which means 17 points on 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a third.
Without further ado, the envelope, please:....

MEN: Evgeny Plushenko, Russia, 16 (2-2-0); Evan Lysacek, U.S., 12 (1-2-1); Patrick Chan, Canada, 7 (1-0-2); Nobunari Oda, Japan, 6 (1-0-1); Brian Joubert, France, 4 (0-1-1).

:co_ol: :plush47: :ku_bok: :plush1: :plush11:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 08 Dec 2009, 12:02

I do not know where to put this :plush38: ... maybe here :-)

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sport ... 37352.html

Best Olympic Bodies

We have no doubt that Russian skating star Evgeny Plushenko has an athlete's body to make anyone envious, but he may be overdoing it a little here.

-------------------

... they seem not noticed costume? :plush26:
cekoni
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Всё о Жене || Everything about Evgeni