Japan Open, Carnival on Ice, Medal Winners - 2011,2012

Другие фигуристы, различные фигурнокатательные мероприятия || Other skaters and events without Evgeni

Re: Japan Open 2011 & gala Carnival on Ice - Saitama, 01.10.

Postby cekoni » 04 Oct 2011, 13:26

http://www.examiner.com/figure-skating- ... rst-splash

Opining on Japan Open (2 of 3): Tuktamisheva makes the first splash

A few thoughts on Japan Open, which took place over the weekend, featuring some fantastic performances by stars former, current, and future. Now for a look at second place (less than a point behind first) Team Europe.

ELIZAVETA TUKTAMISHEVA: First senior event? No problem.
There has been some talk in the preseason about Russian champion Adelina Sotnikova, and Elizaveta Tuktamisheva has been somewhat under the radar – until now, that is. Sotnikova, who went undefeated last year and finished ahead of Tuktamisheva at Junior Grand Prix Final, Russian Nationals, and Junior Worlds last season, was supposed to have made her senior debut at last week’s Ondrej Nepela Memorial. But she withdrew, and Tuktamisheva was a last-minute replacement for Sarah Meier at Japan Open.

Lack of full preparation for the competition? No problem. With the exception of the popped triple flip, Tuktamisheva stole the show, opening with a triple lutz-triple toe and then hitting a triple sal-triple toe late in the program. She really has a natural movement on the ice, maybe cluttered by a little too much arm and hand action, but there really is a lot to like in her skating. Too bad she’s too young for Worlds this season (Sotnikova, however, is not), but she will be on the senior path this season.

ARTUR GACHINSKI: Worlds was just the beginning.
To say phrases like “meteoric rise” and “came out of nowhere” in reference to Artur Gachinski’s surprise bronze medal at Worlds was certainly no hyperbole. Consider his record going into Worlds last year – a sixth and a seventh during the Grand Prix, then fifth at Europeans, plus it was his first full senior season. But his skate at Japan Open made a case that Gachinski is going to build on that success from last season.

After collapsing on the landing of his quad toe, he came back with a powerful skate with six clean triples, looking very strong already this early in the season. Second place, above both Japanese men, and teammate-slash-European-champion, Russia should be expecting some great things from this kid this season.

FLORENT AMODIO: He’s got a quad!
Finally, after two years of hearing that Florent Amodio can do a quad salchow, it actually happened (and it was clean!). That and the opening triple axel aside, it was a bit of an uneven skate the rest of the way – popped jumps, unsteady landings, and an aborted axel to end.

The free skate itself is a bit of a work in progress too. It will be interesting to see how it evolves during the season. Amodio has the potential to be a fine skater, and it was unfortunate that his free skate last year leaned much too much toward the exhibition side in terms of its tendency toward dancing in one spot as opposed to real skating.

ALENA LEONOVA: Hearing footsteps, but still fighting.
Former World junior champ Alena Leonova’s spirited skating and resultant fourth place at home at Worlds in April could very well be the highlight of her career. And for years now, she has been watching the likes of youngsters, Tuktamisheva amongst them, overshadow her at Russian Nationals only to be too young for Worlds.

Some, including me, have predicted that she would’ve faded away by now, burdened by her inconsistency and lack of technical firepower. But she’s still here and she’s still fighting. Leonova has gotten her triple toe-triple toe more consistent and has looked better recently than she has in the seasons since she won Junior Worlds. How will she fare now that the youngsters are making the senior international debuts?

All that aside, though, do we really have to hear Requiem for a Dream again?!

NEXT: TEAM JAPAN

These users thanked the author cekoni for the post:
whitebamboo (04 Oct 2011, 17:47)
Rating: 4.17%

cekoni
Administrator

Postby Searcher16 » 04 Oct 2011, 14:00

Не мог не стащить хороший комментарий с давно пожелтевшего sports.ru:

ladyflower5@yandex.ru wrote:Уже не первый год думаю: «Сколько раз нужно упасть Чану, чтобы судьи оставили его без медали?»

Вчера даже пришла мысль: «Что поставят судьи, если Чан просто посидит на льду?»

Не забыла глупость Чана в отношении Жени перед ОИ-2010.

И навсегда запомнила лицо Чана после «исполнения» ПП в Ванкувере – смертельная бледность, на лице (всегда с бедной мимикой) был УЖАС. Спина согнулась. Даже попытался лицо закрыть руками. Прочитывалось желание фигуриста поскорее спрятаться от ПОЗОРА на своей родине. И вдруг – «оценки» судей. Неверие Чана. Снова неверие. Микроулыбка. Улыбка. Гордость – «Смотрите, какой я Фигурист!»

ОЧЕНЬ хорошо, что, наконец-то, Алексей Николаевич начал борьбу за русского фигуриста. Дай, Бог, ему сил!

Хорошо, что в РИА его поддержали. Много ли СМИ в России, которые пишут о фигурном катании, а не о том, что Башаров и Жулин бросили Навку? Или Навка не платит за квартиру? Или Навка готова замуж?

Сам про ПЧ даже говорить уже не хочу... Слишком мелок и ничтожен этот фигуристишка, чтобы его обсуждать

These users thanked the author Searcher16 for the post (total 2):
let`s talk (06 Oct 2011, 18:56) • Таня (06 Oct 2011, 09:06)
Rating: 8.33%

Searcher16

Postby whitebamboo » 04 Oct 2011, 18:00

cekoni wrote:http://www.examiner.com/figure-skating-in-national/opining-on-japan-open-1-of-3-what-do-you-mean-chan-won-with-three-falls

Opining on Japan Open (1 of 3): What do you mean Chan won with three falls?

A few thoughts on Japan Open, which took place over the weekend, featuring some fantastic performances by stars former, current, and future. Let’s take a look at the winning team, Team North America, first.

PATRICK CHAN: Base values saved him.
After it was all said and done, there was a lot of chatter about how Patrick Chan could have won the event with three falls. Well, let’s keep in mind that his technical base value was the highest of all the men. He fully-rotated two quads and five triples. Falling on first quad toe was worth more than the base value of a triple lutz. My guess is that skate would have put him no higher than third in the 6.0 system, but the adding up of technical value in the IJS helped him win (and will likely continue to help him in the future as long as he is quad-friendly).

An aside, my favorite move of his free skate was the death drop (check it out around 2:30). Maybe not the biggest death drop ever, but it’s got a great deal of airtime and stretch. Tough to find that kind of conviction into a jump spin when there are so many other things that require loads of energy to complete.

I noticed there was no mention of Chan's PCS (in particular the ridiculous PE and IN scores), nor the automatic GOE plus on everything he actually managed to land. I've seen this kind of arguments from other NA "experts" before: if Chan wins with 3 or 4 falls it's all because of his base score and how his quads were fully rotated even if he fell, meanwhile deflecting attention away from his GOE and PCS scores, which, IMO is frankly the real issue. (Most amazingly, I've actually seen people suggest the fact that Chan can get away with this is therefore the fault of Plushy and his supporters, for promoting the quad after Vancouver! :kli_ny: )

But I think this columnist from the Examiner also predicted both Artur and Liza in 6th places before the competition started. :plush42: :plush42: But he said some nice things about them now, so I am not too annoyed at him... :ta_n_cor:
Last edited by whitebamboo on 04 Oct 2011, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author whitebamboo for the post:
lala630312 (04 Oct 2011, 21:48)

whitebamboo

Postby clairdelalune » 04 Oct 2011, 18:39

whitebamboo wrote:.....
I noticed there was no mention of Chan's PCS (in particular the ridiculous PE and IN scores), nor the automatic GOE plus on everything he actually managed to land. I've seen this kind of arguments from other NA "experts" before: if Chan wins with 3 or 4 falls it's all because of his base score and how his quads were fully rotated even if he fell, meanwhile deflecting attention away from his GOE and PCS scores. (Most amazingly, I've actually seen people suggest the fact that Chan can get away with this is therefore the fault of Plushy and his supporters, for promoting the quad after Vancouver! :kli_ny: )

But I think this columnist from the Examiner also predicted both Artur and Liza in 6th places before the competition started. :plush42: :plush42: But he said some nice things about them now, so I am not too annoyed at him... :ta_n_cor:

A lot of NA experts are very pissed off because they thought Chan would be qualdess forever which was perfect for their vision of FS. When Chan started to jump quads successfully and promote quads in all his interviews they got mad. :plush43: Now they hope that Chan´s results will put pressure on ISU to change the system again and punish more failed attempts. But they are delusional because Chan will probably skate clean in major competitions, just like he did last season. :plush41: Haters gonna hate!!! ::yaz-yk:
ImageImage
clairdelalune

Postby lala630312 » 04 Oct 2011, 23:58

I don't understand the figure skating's scoring system. But i watched the fs in my entire life, and i know what is good, what is interesting, what is exciting.
Chan's skating neither exciting nor interesting for me.
The ISU needs to understand that it is not surprising that reduced the popularity of the Fs. This can be measured in our country as well. Even the girls are not interested in figure skating. I asked myself after Chan's skating in Japan, it will bring new fans for this wonderful sport? I am sure, not too much. Front of the TV the people were absolute surprised.
This is not how it was when Zhenya and Yagudin competed each other! Or when Zhenya won the Oly gold! Many people talked about him in the streets, and on the bus. OK, Zhenya one and only, and unrepeatable, but FS need such stars! Chan with his skating won't good for that role!!! I think, Clairdelalune won't agree with me, but i talked, as only a fan of FS, not as an expert.
( sorry my english :plush39: )
lala630312

Postby Kudryavka » 05 Oct 2011, 07:14

Дарина wrote:Лиза Туктамышева!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK3W_tzkvCs

И Артур:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoqvI_HeKEQ

I like their programs!!!! Wonderful works. Well done team Mishin!! :co_ol: And, the costumes were brilliant. Especially Gachi's black costume was awsome. :plush32:

Meanwhile, I, really, seriously, hope that Mishin will select nicer one for Zhenya as well. I'm sure Mishin (or team Mishin's costume adviser) has a wonderful eye for fashion. I still sometimes feel sad when I think Zhenya's costume for the season 2009/2010.... Biggest sigh.. That was just awful. Only "Trailing Rose" costume (at Rostelecom Cup) for Tango Amore was excellent. :plush35:
Last edited by Kudryavka on 05 Oct 2011, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
He didn't compete for three years, but as soon as I saw him, I knew that there was a true Olympic Champion on the ice. - Takahiko Kozuka, Rostelecom Cup 2009
Kudryavka

Postby cekoni » 05 Oct 2011, 07:20

clairdelalune wrote:... Now they hope that Chan´s results will put pressure on ISU to change the system again and punish more failed attempts. But they are delusional because Chan will probably skate clean in major competitions, just like he did last season. :plush41: Haters gonna hate!!! ::yaz-yk:

The problem is not that he does have to be clean in the jumps - problem is his overstated PCS scores!!! :plush43:

.... that is, it is impossible that there is SO much difference in the quality of skating, between him and other skaters - it is offensive to the entire rest of the world - skaters, coaches, skating school, FS fans...! :ze_le_ny:

And I am not his hater :plush34: - I just do not like the insolence and impudence of the ISU/NA bureaucrats (money moguls), who are trying - without any consultation with other participants - change an entire type of sport, and force all the other skaters in the world to convert in only one skater - Chan's!!!!! :plush29:

These users thanked the author cekoni for the post (total 2):
Sakura (11 Oct 2011, 10:22) • Aurora (06 Oct 2011, 18:55)
Rating: 8.33%

cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 05 Oct 2011, 07:23

http://www.examiner.com/figure-skating- ... st-country

Opining on Japan Open (3 of 3): Bad showing for the host country

A few thoughts on Japan Open, which took place over the weekend, featuring some fantastic performances by stars former, current, and future. Team Japan had a Japan Open that they would probably rather forget for the time being.

TAKAHIKO KOZUKA: Steady and reliable.
Hearing the music that opens his free skate brings me of Chen Lu’s underappreciated long program from 1994. But I digress …. A fall on an underrotated quad toe but landed six clean triples, Takahiko Kozuka was the best of the Japanese skaters in their home event. And good save on the errant choctaw in the middle of the straight line step right near the end of the program (at 4:04 in the video).

To me, Kozuka is still a bit of a wallflower. Great skater with superb basics, but everything he does is really introverted, and this program doesn’t bring him out of the box so far. There’s potential if he gives himself some audience-appreciation time.

But what’s up with that costume? From afar, it looks kind of like one of those bad Christmas sweaters from the 90s. That aside, it doesn’t fit the music at all.

AKIKO SUZUKI: Back in the mix.
With Miki Ando out of the Grand Prix (and judging from her performance, see below, it wouldn’t be a surprise if she took the whole season off), Akiko Suzuki could find herself back on the World team this season. With jumping bean Kanako Murakami upstaging her last season and taking the third spot that she used to occupy behind Ando and Mao Asada, Suzuki has been a bit overlooked.

But she looked prepared for this early in the season, with a planned seven-triple free skate that includes a double axel-triple toe. She landed five of them last weekend and finished a respectable third, right behind Joannie Rochette. I’m not sure why she decides that two lutzes are a good idea, considering her wrong edge call. But still, her free skate was full of the trademark Suzuki energy and spark, and some new spin positions we haven’t seen from her. Great to watch, for sure.

DAISUKE TAKAHASHI: Stamina issues?
We’ve come to expect the inconsistency from Daisuke Takahashi these days. I didn’t use to hold my breath during his jumps, but it’s tough not to do that now. Is it a lapse in concentration or a lack of stamina? Probably some combination of the two – as he’s exhibited a pattern of falling on and/or underrotating the jumps in the second half of his free skates. Same thing last weekend – downgraded quad toe, then three underrotated triples in the second half.

But for me, what was of note was the placement of his triple sal as his third element. A placeholder for a second quad? We’ve known his capability to do both the quad toe and quad flip (though he’s never landed the flip in competition). Excitement ensues.

MIKI ANDO: Tough one to watch.
Ouch, I didn’t see this one coming. Two-time and reigning World champion, one of the most consistent skaters in the past few seasons. Finished last amongst the ladies and almost 20 points behind fifth place after failing to land a clean triple. She looked defeated even before the program began.

Sure, Miki Ando doesn’t always have the spark of some of her competitors, but she’s been consistently delivering when competitions come along. She had already announced that she was skipping the Grand Prix, but it was painfully clear how unprepared she was for competition. Her performance was so poor that she found it necessary to apologize to those who watched her free skate.

Let’s hope that Ando regroups, finds the motivation again, and comes back strong.

-----------------------------

http://www.requiredelements.com/2011/10 ... n-analysis

Some More Japan Open Analysis

For those of you who are wondering how Patrick Chan fell three times in the free skate and still won the Japan Open, Jackie Wong at Examiner does a great job breaking down some of the biggest questions of the competition.

He points out that base values helped Patrick Chan. For example, a fall on a quad still gave Chan more points than a clean triple lutz would have. And obviously that's because the IJS needed to give skaters incentive for attempting quads. The happy medium between technical envelope-pushing and rewarding clean skating has not yet been met....

These users thanked the author cekoni for the post:
Sakura (11 Oct 2011, 10:26)

cekoni
Administrator

Postby Kudryavka » 05 Oct 2011, 07:35

It's my understanding that Mishin meant "Judges started to watch SS & TR more strictly since Vancouver Olys? Okay, so now let's do the same way at GOE & PE & IN & CH". :co_ol:
He didn't compete for three years, but as soon as I saw him, I knew that there was a true Olympic Champion on the ice. - Takahiko Kozuka, Rostelecom Cup 2009
Kudryavka

Postby clairdelalune » 05 Oct 2011, 11:03

cekoni wrote:.... that is, it is impossible that there is SO much difference in the quality of skating, between him and other skaters - it is offensive to the entire rest of the world - skaters, coaches, skating school, FS fans...! :ze_le_ny:

Actually it is possible. In my opinion only Kozuka is able to challenge him but unfortunatelly he is not very consistent and his PCS are not so high because: Japan has many top skaters,sometimes Kozuka´s programs don´t suit his style, he looks shy and can´t express himself very well, he needs to learn to relax. :-(

Kudryavka wrote:It's my understanding that Mishin meant "Judges started to watch SS & TR more strictly since Vancouver Olys? Okay, so now let's do the same way at GOE & PE & IN & CH". :co_ol:

SS and TR are the only objective scores, it´s impossible to do the same for PE & IN & CH. :-(

lala630312 wrote:[b] I think, Clairdelalune won't agree with me.

:a_g_a: :-)

No problem Lala, I respect your opinion anyway. :plush45:
ImageImage
clairdelalune

PreviousNext

Return to Мир фигурного катания || Figure Skating