Press on English about Evgeni after LP

Зимние Олимпийские игры 2010 в Ванкувере || Winter Olympic games 2010 in Vancouver

Re: English Press about Evgeni after LP

Postby cekoni » 21 Feb 2010, 08:51

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... yquad.html
February 20, 2010 by: Nives

Men's Figure Skating Vancouver Controversy-Quad Versus Artistry

Yevgeny Plushenko, the legend of the Russian figure skating, the defending gold champion of men's figure skating, lost to Evan Lysacek, the American who did not have the quad in his Olympic performance, however not without controversy. Uproar of who should have won the gold medal was unavoidable once it became clear that Plushenko's quad was not enough for gold.

Yevgeny Plushenko believes that without a quad there is no Olympic champion, without it the sport doesn't progresses but regresses. He can not comprehend the direction his sport is taking. He is convinced that if the Olympic champion can not do the quad, it is dancing and not men's figure skating. For him figure skating is a sport and not a show. The future of the sport lies in moving forward.

At the same token, Plushenko's coach believes the decision of the judges was criminal and will take the sport 20 years back. In short, to skate without a quad is a shame.

Former Canadian champion Elvis Stojko thinks the judging standards need to be reevaluated. Neglecting athleticism for the sake of artistry is not the right direction for the sport. Taking quad out of the competition is bad for the figure skating. For Stojko, the judging system is seriously at fault.

The bronze medal winner Daisuke Takahashi also believes that quad is crucial for the sport and so do many other skaters. In fact, the quad debate had split the skating community.

Russian media is convinced that judges robbed Plushenko of gold.

Some sport fans believe that the quad should be rewarded higher points and Plushenko should be the one to win the gold, still others debate that judges were right in awarding the gold to Lysacek.

Who should have won the gold will probably be argued for some time to come. And the quad debate and if the sport can not progress without it will go on as well. As will the debate about how fair the present judging system is. Quad is the most difficult jump in figure skating.

Plushenko's disappointment that the quad has turned into a lost cause and that it is not even required any more to win the world championship is real as is real his belief that daring is the vital part of Olympic greatness. His belief that only the quad can justify the Olympic gold goes back to the old spirit of official Olympic motto "Swifter, Higher, Stronger." After all, where does the future of the sport lie if not also in challenges of difficult and hazardous jumps?

Meanwhile, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has praised his figure skating champion believing Plushenko's performance was worth the gold. In fact, Plushenko's silver represents gold in Putin's eyes.

Politics in the Olympic Games is nothing new. Throughout Olympic history it has played a role. Since the ancient time, it has always been a great honor to take part in the Olympic Games for the athletes as well as for the nations.

Controversy had always been a part of Olympic Games as well. And so it is also with Vancouver Games.
It shouldn't be surprising that the Prime Minister of Russia Vladimir Putin and Russian media jumped quickly on political wagon after men's figure skating competition. After all, these are the Olympic Games.

Plushenko has no plans to stop competing. :plush45: :plush47:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 21 Feb 2010, 09:03

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... html?cat=9
February 19, 2010 by: Tina Molly Lang

Was Evgeni Plushenko Robbed of Olympic Gold?

Last night, American Evan Lysacek upset defending champion Evgeni Plushenko to win the Olympic gold medal in men's figure skating. While Lysacek certainly rose to the occasion and did what he needed to do, I have to wonder if it was Plushenko who deserved to be atop the podium.

Evan Lysacek skated beautifully but cautiously (much like Michelle Kwan did in 1998 when she narrowly lost to Tara Lipinski). While Lysacek's program was more well-rounded, Plushenko's program was bigger, bolder and riskier.

Was Evgeni Plushenko Robbed? The Jumps

Evan Lysacek came through in the jumping department. In the second (bonus) half of the program, he was able to save his difficult triple axel jump combination. Yet he played it relatively safe. Because he was so focused on skating "clean," his jumps weren't as high or as big as Plushenko's.

Some of Evgeni Plushenko's jumps were off-axis to the point where it looked like he was going to fall. While this cost him points in the execution department, one has to give him credit. Many other skaters in his position would not have been able to save that first triple axel or that triple lutz. It's actually a testament of genius that Plushenko was able to save those off-axis jumps. And he was willing to take risks--his jumps were higher and faster than Lysacek's. That had to count for something in the execution department.

Was Evgeni Plushenko Robbed? The Quad

Evan Lysacek did not include the quad in his long program. Evgeni Plushenko not only landed his quad, but he did it in combination (quad-toe/triple-toe). While difficulty of jumps does not account for everything, it does account for something. Otherwise, Michelle Kwan would have won over Tara Lipinski, and Lu Chen would still be competitive in today's women's field.

TV commentators such as Scott Hamilton tried to portray the Plushenko/Lysacek match-up as The Quad vs. Artistry, as if to suggest that Plushenko was some kind of one-trick pony. Hamilton and Sandra Bezic would condescendingly ask, "How much difference is the quad going to make?"

Funny, I never remember anyone complaining about Evgeni's artistry before this year. If he really were a one-trick quad pony he wouldn't have won three Olympic medals, three world titles, and six European titles (in spite of a three-year retirement).

Was Evgeni Plushenko Robbed? Style/Artistry

Evan Lysacek delivered the goods in his spins, footwork, and spiral sequences, delivering a well-rounded program. And he did have a commanding presence on the ice. Yet he did seem like he was holding back (possibly to conserve his energy for the end, but it came across as too cautious).

Plushenko, on the other hand, has that extra-special flair. He knows how to perform and to add his signature touches to every program.

As for music, Evan went with the conventional choice of Scheherazade, one of the most overly-performed pieces in figure skating (along with Bizet's Carmen). While he delivered the goods in the presentation department, it seemed a bit safe.

Evgeni Plushenko performed a powerful but lyrical rendition of Edvin Marton's Tango Amore, but commentators like Sandra Bezic seemed quick to dismiss Plushenko's artistry, similar to the way critics used to dismiss Elvis Stojko and Irina Slutskaya.

Was Evgeni Plushenko Robbed? Final Thoughts

I am not going to outright claim that Evgeni Plushenko was robbed of the gold medal, though I will say that I find Yevgeny a more unique and compelling skater overall and enjoyed his performance more.

Evan Lysacek worked hard, remained mentally tough, and gave the performance of his life (similar to the way Sarah Hughes upset Michelle Kwan in 2002). Yet last night, Evgeni Plushenko showed why he is still one of figure skating's all-time greats. :co_ol: :plush34:
cekoni
Administrator

Postby Pascalou » 21 Feb 2010, 09:57

Here is a link to an interview that Mr Plushenko gave to our own Canadian CTV network. Excellent interview.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.html?assetid=dd620bc5-c760-44b1-becd-1080f085dfaf

I hope you guys can see it and it won't be a « you are not in the viewing zone
thing»

:-):
Pascalou

Postby Астелла'c » 21 Feb 2010, 10:13

Here is a link to an interview that Mr Plushenko gave to our own Canadian CTV network. Excellent interview.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.h ... 80f085dfaf

thing»

Thank you!
Video doesn't work. Tell us, please !
...все, что мог, сделал. Для вас, МОИ ЛЮБИМЫЕ...
Астелла'c

Postby Pascalou » 21 Feb 2010, 10:23

Астелла'c wrote:

thing»

Thank you!

Oh darn! I guess it works only in Canada, I'll try to fing it else where! It is a cute interview that Evgeni gave to the Canadian CTV network and he explains the difference between a quad and tripple and speaks about his coming back how much weight he had to lose to get back in shape, his hopes for to be able to compete at the Sochi Olympics in 2014!
Pascalou

Postby Pascalou » 21 Feb 2010, 10:50

Астелла'c wrote:

Thank you!

Oh darn! I guess it works only in Canada, I'll try to fing it else where! It is a cute interview that Evgeni gave to the Canadian CTV network and he explains the difference between a quad and tripple and speaks about his coming back how much weight he had to lose to get back in shape, his hopes for to be able to compete at the Sochi Olympics in 2014!

ARRRRRGGGGGNNNN!!! I tried every possible way to locate else where the video! And even tried to save it, hack it, what ever form the CTV website! And i can't!! :is_te_ri_ka:

Ok it is 2am here, I'll go get some sleep ad try to figure out a way. It really is a cute interview.
Pascalou

Postby cekoni » 21 Feb 2010, 12:11

Pascalou wrote:ARRRRRGGGGGNNNN!!! I tried every possible way to locate else where the video! And even tried to save it, hack it, what ever form the CTV website! And i can't!! :is_te_ri_ka:

Ok it is 2am here, I'll go get some sleep ad try to figure out a way. It really is a cute interview.

Try to find him in Cache of your browser, or use Real player... thanks in advance :plush39:

There have and next videos... :mi_ga_et:

Evgeni Plushenko Interview - Post Podium:
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.h ... 0f085dfaf#

Elvis Stojko interview:
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.h ... 0f085dfaf#
cekoni
Administrator

Postby masha » 21 Feb 2010, 13:13

Pascalou wrote:
Астелла'c wrote:

thing»

Thank you!

Thank you! :plush40:
masha

Postby cekoni » 21 Feb 2010, 13:38

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0gNUeT485Pg7A?q=plushenko
Reuters Pictures 1 day ago

Gold medallist Evan Lysacek (R) of the U.S. looks at silver medallist Yevgeny Plushenko of Russia during the medal ceremony after the men's free skating figure skating competition at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics February 18, 2010. Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin climbed into the controversy surrounding Plushenko's surprise defeat in the Olympics figure skating by claiming on Friday that he should have been awarded gold. Picture taken February 18, 2010.

:sh_ок:

Do not even the prime minister of a country can not congratulate his compatriot in a message to him, and says a few words of comfort? Is it forbidden? Is the some of west media used every opportunity to get involved politics in all? :plush43: :ze_le_ny:

I am very unpleasant surprised by the amount of paranoia, according to everything which comes from Russia.... :-(
cekoni
Administrator

Postby cekoni » 21 Feb 2010, 13:44

Perhaps is this video interviews with Plushy for CTV :mi_ga_et:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-feature ... e=rss&cid=
AFP Feb 20, 6:19p ET

Plushenko ready to compete in Sochi

Vancouver (AFP) -- Dethroned Russian figure skater Yevgeny Plushenko revealed Saturday that he is determined to recapture his men's figure skating title in Sochi in four years time.

"I would like to compete, I would like to skate in 2014, in Sochi, I'm gonna try, I'm really gonna try," Plushenko told Canadian television CTV.

The 27-year-old has blasted the system of judging after he placed second behind American Evan Lysacekin Thursday's men's final.

Plushenko was sure he had successfully defended his title after opening with a tricky quadruple toeloop-triple toeloop combination.

But the judges preferred Lysacek's routine which did not include a quad.

"Take for exemple the short programm, I did quad combined with triple, he did three triples," said Plushenko. "And the judges gave me only three points more, it's completely ... completely ... well, I don't understand.

"How is it possible to compete without quads? This guy cannot jump a quad.

"His skating is very good, but mine is not bad also.

"I agree you need to skate, you need to spin, but you know, I think you don't have just to skate, we need to jump too."

Plushenko, a three-time world champion, won gold in Turin to add to the silver he won four years previously in Salt Lake City.

He returned from a three-year retirement in a bid to become the first man to win consecutive figure skating gold medals since Dick Button in 1952.

But he lost after struggling on several jump landings in his free skate, scoring less technically than Lysacek.

Plushenko added: "Take (Elvis) Stojko for example, he was skating 15 years ago and he was doing quads.

"In 2002 in Salt Lake, (Alexei) Yagudin won with two quads

"Let's say I'm happy with my performance, I'm not happy with the result. But we can talk for two more years about that, nothing changes, nothing.

"My spin is not bad, my steps are not bad, my performance here was much better than in the European championships, I had transitions, I had more choreography."
cekoni
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Ванкувер 2010 || Vancouver 2010